Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit news

(147 Posts)
varian Fri 12-Mar-21 18:57:21

The damage done by the madness of brexit is turning out to be even worse than we feared.

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/brexit-eu-trade-costs-red-tape-b1816552.html

growstuff Fri 12-Mar-21 23:33:26

There's no point varian. You'll just be labelled as a Project Fear-mongerer. They won't believe it until it hits them in the face - or rather their pocket - and even then the handful who do stand to gain will find some way of persuading them they're being patriotic or some such claptrap.

Eloethan Sat 13-Mar-21 00:52:10

It's very worrying isn't it. My son works in the city and says it is now noticeable that several financial institutions are moving to other parts of Europe.

NotSpaghetti Sat 13-Mar-21 00:56:55

Varian if was obvious (to some) that it would come to this. We all know people who moved from the UK because of Brexit.
Many of us have adult children who did just that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Mar-21 04:38:26

My daughters pharma company has been hollowed out, all gone to various EU countries. Thousands of high quality jobs gone.

There is nothing good at all about Brexit, but I can’t be bothered with it any more.

They will get what they deserve. Scrambled eggs for brains, believe every stupidity all for what they laughably call sovereignty.

GrannyRose15 Sat 13-Mar-21 04:46:12

Get over it! You lost.

I do sometimes wonder if those of us who voted for Brexit would have been allowed to go on and on and on about how wrong the result was had we lost.

vegansrock Sat 13-Mar-21 06:10:12

Huge decline in exports of fish- and wasn’t Brexit all about claiming back our waters or some such nonsense.? It’s costing much more than being a member so the saving money bit has shown up to be lies as well.

nanna8 Sat 13-Mar-21 07:04:46

Move on and look for other outlets. You know you can do it!

vegansrock Sat 13-Mar-21 07:57:50

Anyone heard all those expensive government radio ads about helping businesses export to Tokyo or Toronto- they’d be great places to sell fresh fish wouldn’t they?

keepingquiet Sat 13-Mar-21 08:05:59

We have our bluey black passports back though that were designed in France and made in Poland. We can travel now?

NannyJan53 Sat 13-Mar-21 08:11:52

Sadly, it seems we have all lost. Those who voted leave will realise eventually. I hear reports daily of companys in UK who no longer export because of the expense and all the paperwork involved.

Polarbear2 Sat 13-Mar-21 09:16:50

It’s just utterly depressing. And I won’t be told to ‘get over it’ when my country has been driven to this sorry state by a set of lies and liars.

lemongrove Sat 13-Mar-21 09:38:12

nanna8

Move on and look for other outlets. You know you can do it!

Sadly, I don’t think they can.
There has been no Armageddon since Jan ( as they hoped) and we are quietly getting on with things including vaccinating the population ( unlike the chaotic roll out in EU countries.)

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 10:07:08

Sorry no. I’m not gloomy at all about Brexit!
Depends which newspapers your read (obv). The Indy was always the über Remainer paper. Not saying there’s not fact in there but we all know there will be spin too!

I might come along later with a slightly different slant on things from the Telegraph.
?

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 10:43:47

There has been no Armageddon since Jan

'No Armageddon' seems to be a very low success criteria.

How many ruined businesses and lost jobs do there have to be before Brexit is admitted to be not quite a sparkling success?

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 10:48:37

Can I vote Leave again please?

I so enjoyed it the last time.

Dinahmo Sat 13-Mar-21 11:03:02

Urmstongran So, the Torygraph is going to paint a rosy glow over the 40% reduction in British exports to the EU in January?

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 11:03:42

Urmstongran

I think you might find fewer people do the same if we had a rerun...

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:06:03

Urmstongran

Extraordinary

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 11:10:39

Dinahmo

Urmstongran So, the Torygraph is going to paint a rosy glow over the 40% reduction in British exports to the EU in January?

They're going to say that it's teething problems and that it's all the fault of the evil EU for implementing the requirements for third countries exporting to them.

There, done it for you Ug. No need to stir your fingers

MerylStreep Sat 13-Mar-21 11:17:15

Urmstongran
I’d love to have that lovely feeling I had when OH woke me up to tell me that the vote leave had won.?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:41:05

There is a global pandemic, exports and imports are bound to be skewed at the moment.

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 11:57:53

GrannyGravy13

There is a global pandemic, exports and imports are bound to be skewed at the moment.

Very convenient excuse, GG13. I forgot to add it to my Telegraph resumé.

Government is desperately hoping that we will swallow that one and is steadfastly ignoring the businesses that are having very real Brexit related problems.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Mar-21 12:02:23

I suggest you follow some positive business sites, maybe take a look at Jefferson @jefferson_MFG, lots of positive news regarding UK manufacturing post Brexit.

Unfortunately it is only the bad/depressing stories that MSM are interested in, always has been, always will be.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 12:42:48

No actually I’m not quoting what you thought I would, from the Telegraph (Torygraph).

It’s this:

“George Monbiot is a tricky man to cite. When the Guardian journalist isn’t prophesying eco-doom he can be found urging on the downfall of capitalism – which would, of course, bring about a not much better variety of doom. Yet even a radical Leftist like Monbiot can sometimes be on to something.

This week’s stopped clock award goes to him because on Thursday he took to social media to show that he had been thinking about the EU a bit. As ever he was confused. But within the confusion lay something important.

Monbiot started by saying that we must try to separate out the questions of whether Britain should be in the EU and whether the EU itself is a good thing. Rather bravely (given his tribe), he stated that he had come to the conclusion that the EU is not a good thing, indeed it is a bad thing. Rather illogically, perhaps because he wishes to retain his position as the Cassandra of the hard-Left, he nevertheless still managed to maintain that Britain should have remained within it.”