Gransnet forums

News & politics

I know I'm a republican but...

(57 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 24-Mar-21 10:59:07

...surely the most ardent royalist will find it hard to explain this. Please don't turn this into a generalised republican/royalist row. Just focus on this one issue.

How will this help Scotland feel part of the UK thus reducing the calls for independence?

Did the Queen have this sort of conversation with herself? “One is so upset about poor William and our Scottish subjects at the moment. What can one do to make them feel better? One will give William a new job title. Hmmm what could it be? One cannot make him the Head of the Church of England because that is one's job. What about Wales? Oh no they have already got Charles. One knows!!! One will kill two birds with one stone. One will make William happy again and make the Scots feel wanted. William can be the new Lord High Commissioner of the Church of Scotland!”

Eloethan Thu 25-Mar-21 11:36:42

It's ridiculous and totally irrelevant to the majority of people's lives.

MaizieD Thu 25-Mar-21 11:45:12

Henry VIII removed his kingdom from the power of the Vatican, making himself the Supreme Governor. The Queen inherits that position, but she does not have, (or want, I am sure) any power over the ways that services in the Cof E are conducted, or what the congregation does in bed, or any of the Pope's almost supernatural-seeming powers. She is a kind of Chairman of the Board to the bishops and archbishops who run the organisation.

Thanks for that explanation, Elegran.

I rather think that Henry VIII had quite a lot of say in how the Church in England was conducted! But appreciate that his successor doesn't.

trisher Thu 25-Mar-21 13:33:16

Interestingly C of E Bishops still sit in the House of Lords. The Established church is still that.

JaneJudge Thu 25-Mar-21 13:37:47

Callistemon

As I said, I got lost somewhere along this thread confused
Perhaps JaneJudge is aka Geri Halliwell?

I might not even be on the right thread. It's been one of those mornings.

grin grin grin

I am not Geri Halliwell. I do drive past the church she got married in though, even though I was under the impression she was a Jehovah's witness

Callistemon Thu 25-Mar-21 13:40:39

trisher

Interestingly C of E Bishops still sit in the House of Lords. The Established church is still that.

Yes, 26 of them and all from England as the only Established Church.

Callistemon Thu 25-Mar-21 13:41:38

JaneJudge grin