Gransnet forums

News & politics

I know I'm a republican but...

(56 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 24-Mar-21 10:59:07

...surely the most ardent royalist will find it hard to explain this. Please don't turn this into a generalised republican/royalist row. Just focus on this one issue.

How will this help Scotland feel part of the UK thus reducing the calls for independence?

Did the Queen have this sort of conversation with herself? “One is so upset about poor William and our Scottish subjects at the moment. What can one do to make them feel better? One will give William a new job title. Hmmm what could it be? One cannot make him the Head of the Church of England because that is one's job. What about Wales? Oh no they have already got Charles. One knows!!! One will kill two birds with one stone. One will make William happy again and make the Scots feel wanted. William can be the new Lord High Commissioner of the Church of Scotland!”

jaylucy Wed 24-Mar-21 11:03:20

Really? Yet another "Let's knock the Royal Family" post.
There is probably a perfectly good reason that HM has done this. Something along the line of being 90 plus and no longer feeling she can travel such long distances . as well as it will be good training for the future!

B9exchange Wed 24-Mar-21 11:03:34

It's not a political appointment. Timing seems a bit strange. I assume that the Church of Scotland was consulted and wanted this position created.

Anniebach Wed 24-Mar-21 11:03:49

Charles has nothing to do with The Church in Wales except
attend services when in Wales if he chooses to , just the same as all in Wales

25Avalon Wed 24-Mar-21 11:04:17

VQ where did you read this as so many papers give different slant on things. The Queen is still queen in lots of independent countries so maybe it isn’t about government or independence but just showing the rf have links to Scotland. Does Scottish independence mean Scots don’t want them anymore?

Anniebach Wed 24-Mar-21 11:06:13

‘Just focus on this one issue’ ! and mock the Queen

Blossoming Wed 24-Mar-21 11:09:45

VQ I love the Queen thinking in the third person 😂 William’s new job title does sound like something out of The Mikado.

MerylStreep Wed 24-Mar-21 11:10:43

Vampirequeen
You ask for a sensible discussion and then proceed to take the piss out of our Queen.

Gannygangan Wed 24-Mar-21 11:11:57

Oh I thought that was going to be mildly amusing

But it wasn't

trisher Wed 24-Mar-21 11:13:12

The Church of Scotland has a long history of seeking to free itself from the crown and hierarchies. It is more closely linked to Presbytarianism. At one time it split over the issue and many left to form the Free Church of Scotland. Perhaps HM has just started another break away religious schism. It may in fact have exactly the opposite effect to the one she is hoping for.

MaizieD Wed 24-Mar-21 11:15:59

MerylStreep

Vampirequeen
You ask for a sensible discussion and then proceed to take the piss out of our Queen.

She happens to be Queen of Scotland, too. Because of the 'union of the crowns' in James VI & I after the death of QE1

From the little I've read this seems to be a run of the mill 'royal duty' post.

But it's clearly got a political dimension.

What I read is that the appointment is made on the recommendation of the PM... hmm (Could be completely wrong though...)

varian Wed 24-Mar-21 11:16:16

The Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland is the Scottish Sovereign's personal representative to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland (the Kirk), reflecting the Church's role as the national church of Scotland and the Sovereign's role as protector and member of that Church.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_High_Commissioner_to_the_General_Assembly_of_the_Church_of_Scotland

This is usually appointment for one year and although members of the RF, including Princess Anne and Prince Edward have held the post, it is normally held by distinguished Scots such as David Steel, Lord Mackay of Clashfern and Lady Marion Fraser.

Granny23 Wed 24-Mar-21 11:38:17

The Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland is appointed by the Queen, annually, to represent her in what is considered to be the official or state Church in Scotland. It is not a new post, it has certainly been around since I was a child, perhaps much longer. Prince William was actually appointed last year, but the Assembly was postponed due to the pandemic.

Over 40 years ago, I was staffing a stall at a voluntary sector recruitment fair, hosted by the C of S. The High Commissioner, was present and we were all instructed before his arrival that we were to treat him as if he was the Queen herself, including bowing or curtsying, if he should speak to us. Incidentally, when he approached our stall, I had just dropped a leaflet on the floor, so I bent down to pick it up rather than curtsy. (I bow to no man)

EllanVannin Wed 24-Mar-21 11:40:57

Does it matter ?

nadateturbe Wed 24-Mar-21 12:12:39

Vampirequeen all I will say is your post gave me a much needed laugh, as did the last sentence of Granny23s post.

AmberSpyglass Wed 24-Mar-21 12:18:15

Get rid of the monarchy and sever all ties between church and state and I’ll be happy...

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:27:49

There was some confusion the other day as to whether or not the Anglican Church of Scotland is established or not. I read online that it is but was told on here that it is not, but I am still confused.
Perhaps Granny23, you'd be the person to give me a proper answer.

The Church in Wales is not established so doesn't need a Governor. I think you are getting confused about that vampirequeen, especially as you changed one tiny word - tiny but vital to the meaning.

You said: William can be the new Lord High Commissioner of the Church of Scotland!”

In fact the title is Lord High Commissioner TO the Church of Scotland.

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:30:16

Granny23 does this mean I have to curtsey to the Lord Lieutenant of the County as they are The Queen's representative?

None of them have ever said!

Anniebach Wed 24-Mar-21 12:44:30

I have had many a coffee with a Lord Lieutenant of a County , never curtsied

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:52:58

Is it oneupmanship to say I had a glass of wine
Or two
She'd have probably thought my knees had given way if I'd curtseyed 😁

Grany Wed 24-Mar-21 12:53:50

Twitter
Oh thank GOD I was wondering when we were going to get a Lord High guy in the Church for Scotland, that’s me away to buy a big flag for the wall grin

Ann Hacke 🕷
Another meaningless title for a meaningless institution. I don't know how they can look at themselves in the mirror.

I’m guessing they do just fine looking in the mirror as long as the tax funding and public adoration keeps coming in.🤣😂. Not too sure about the public adoration after the Twitter roastings they’ve endured last few months

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:53:57

Daft word, curtsey
curtsied, curteysed, curteysd
???

Blossoming Wed 24-Mar-21 12:55:12

Callistemon the ‘Anglican’ Church of Scotland is Episcopalian and not the same thing as the Church of Scotland, which is Presbyterian.

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:58:51

Oh dear, I am confused
I have to say I am Godmother to a child (now adult) who was baptised in the Church of Scotland but in England, so should not be confused, should I!

trisher Wed 24-Mar-21 13:00:19

Callistemon

Is it oneupmanship to say I had a glass of wine
Or two
She'd have probably thought my knees had given way if I'd curtseyed 😁

Not "oneupmanship" - alcoholism!
I do wonder if HM ever looks at someone and thinks, "Please don't let them curtsey they'll never get up again!"