Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish Election 6 weeks away.

(339 Posts)
Granny23 Wed 24-Mar-21 15:30:21

Now that the brouhaha around Salmon has been resolved and become yesterdays chip paper, it is time to turn our thoughts to the forthcoming Scottish Election. As a life long supporter of the SNP and Independence movement, I am confident of a good outcome for us. With a failed vote of no 'confidence' in the First Minister, the latest opinion poll giving a 6 point lead to YES re Independence and a further 12,500 members joining the SNP in the past week there are 'reasons to be cheerful' and hope for a future free of the shackles of an incompetent/corrupt Westminster Government. For me the only current dilemma is whether I should vote SNP 1& 2 or give my list vote to the Greens.

It is probably wishful thinking but I hope any responses to this post will come only/mainly from those Grandsnetters who will be voting in this election.

varian Mon 10-May-21 19:11:20

The covid crisis has enabled the Vote Leave government to blame everything on covid and nothing on brexit.

At some point we must see the huge damage that has been done to our country by leaving a 40 year partnership.

The much more dreadful damage which could be inflicted by the separatist leaving a 400 year partnership must be resisted.

Alegrias1 Mon 10-May-21 19:38:38

varian we often agree on things, but "must be resisted"? Are we the enemy now?

And it's 300 years. 314, to be exact.

Urmstongran Mon 10-May-21 19:44:29

There is chatter abroad that a Scottish equivalent of a Gina Millar might come forward to challenge the legality of Indy2 in the Scottish Courts. The reasoning behind it is that Boris and his government can distance themselves from any unfolding drama.

varian Mon 10-May-21 19:54:46

Sorry * Allegrias* I hope we are not enemies. We are both Scots and I think were both in favour of the UK remaining in the EU.

I think we were both appalled by the irresponsible action of David Cameron in allowing our membership of the EU
to be decided by a referendum unprotected by a supermajority when the vote on that one day was so out of line with opinion before and after.

The brexit fiasco has not only damaged the UK e only but has split the population into two disparate groups. Five years on we are still Leavers or Remainers.

It shows never have been allowed to happen. There should never be any in a nation's constitutional position without the consent of a clear majority say two thirds not 50 per cent plus one.

Alegrias1 Mon 10-May-21 20:01:43

No, of course not varian, that's why I said I so often agree with you. And I also agree with you that we need we shouldn't base a decision to go to independence on a simple majority, we should have a higher threshold.

Just the wording of "it must be resisted" caught my eye rather, as though folk who support independence are some kind of fifth column. shock

varian Mon 10-May-21 20:09:33

Folk who support independence are ent9itled to their view. but Nicola Sturgeon tries to have it both ways. When before the vote she told an interviewer that voters who liked some of her party's policies but were against separatism should vote SNP but now that vote is taken as an endorsement of her separatist position.

Alegrias1 Mon 10-May-21 20:23:05

I'm not getting into any more independence discussions about who said what to whom and exactly what they meant by it. Not good for my health. ? I really object to the new trend of calling us "separatists" as well, as though I'm blooming Count Dooku.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/StarWarsSeparatistAlliance

Aveline Mon 10-May-21 20:30:43

But people wanting an independent Scotland are separatists just as there are Basque separatists. Those wanting to stay part of the UK are unionists. Seems reasonable nomenclature.

Kali2 Mon 10-May-21 20:47:45

Remainers are the true Unionists.

Aveline Mon 10-May-21 21:24:54

I voted to remain in the EU but think I've changed my mind a bit after recent events. All is not well in the EU these days.

Urmstongran Mon 10-May-21 22:40:42

Is that in your opinion Kali2 or do you have some facts to back that statement up?

Elegran Tue 11-May-21 13:35:35

And will Kali ever venture an opinion again?

lemongrove Tue 11-May-21 14:12:12

Why not? Kali has ventured many opinions on many threads on GN.