Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who Benefits? Brexit

(63 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 27-Mar-21 00:28:14

Will someone please tell me who is actually benefiting from Brexit? I certainly know who isn’t but surely someone, somewhere, apart from the toffs who orchestrated it, are receiving a benefit ?
What are the positives?

Namsnanny Sat 27-Mar-21 13:00:30

......and so it rumbles on and on and on and on and on

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Mar-21 13:00:51

I'm with you there growstuff from the perspective of a leave voter of course.

Kandinsky Sat 27-Mar-21 13:08:26

I know, I should stop posting on these brexit threads as they’re completely pointless now.
We’ve left & won’t be joining again anytime soon - if ever.

libra10 Sat 27-Mar-21 13:10:13

The "economic doodoo" we are in now, as MaizieD so elequently puts it, has nothing to do with coronavirus which is raging through the nation? No, it is all due to Brexit!

Are you serious? All countries are in trouble economically, largely due to this vicious pandemic!

PGAgirl Sat 27-Mar-21 13:22:42

I think the outcome of Brexit has been a new pride in the UK. Having lived in the EU for several years, for work, I know just how selfish and useless the EU is. It felt like a yoke off my neck when we finally got out, why did it take so long? The big benefit is we can make our own laws that suit the UK, not the EU, we have control on our economy and can adjust fiscal methods to suit us. We are not marching to Federalism that most European people do not want either, only the few non-elected people at the top of the EU who see it as their increasing powerbase. It has become an autocracy not a common market that the UK joined. I hope all Gransnet contributors get behind the UK and buy BRITISH.

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 17:23:17

It has become an autocracy not a common market that the UK joined. I hope all Gransnet contributors get behind the UK and buy BRITISH.

I'm afraid your hopes are to be disappointed. 'Backing Britain' didn't work in the 1960s and it isn't going to work now. We haven't been self sufficient in food for nigh on 150 years and we don't make sufficient consumer goods to satisfy demand. So get used to going hungry and not being able to replace things.

libra10, once the pandemic has subsided I think you'll find that we are in a worse economic mess than any other comparable country. The government won't be able to blame covid then.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Mar-21 17:30:06

"So get used to going hungry and not being able to replace things" for goodness sakeangry.

Dinahmo Sat 27-Mar-21 17:37:33

PGAgirl Yet again that old trope about unelected bureaucrats. Farage, Daubeny, Widdecombe were all elected by us. The MEPs then elect the the next tiers.

The UK hasn't depended upon manufacture for many years. WE are, or were, now that the banks are going abroad, a service economy.

With regard to the vaccine, the UK was quite powerful within the EU and, had we still been in, would have made its voice heard.

Libral0 Finally, whilst the other EU countries have all suffered from covid, as least they don't have to deal with the fall out from Brexit.

Peasblossom Sat 27-Mar-21 18:01:57

Nobody wants to answer my question, What’s the point of going on and on about something that’s a done deal and that you can’t change,

All those people who keep posting stuff about Brexit. What is the point???

I really don’t get it.

Kandinsky Sat 27-Mar-21 18:35:54

Some remainers are still very angry about it all so just like talking about it over & over.
Gransnet ( & other online forums) are probably some sort of outlet to let off steam because no one I know in RL ever mentions brexit.
I think a global pandemic killing millions became a bit more important.

Peasblossom Sat 27-Mar-21 18:44:20

Like my mum and dad talking about the war?

nanna8 Sun 28-Mar-21 11:13:09

Thank you PGA girl for actually answering the OP. I didn’t want to hear all the negatives again, I have heard them . I have never actually heard any positives and that was what I was interested in.

Lucca Sun 28-Mar-21 11:20:41

Smileless2012

TBH I "can't be ar$d to engage in arguments about old news" Namsnanny and I "tend to ignore threads like this" because they're all the same, and it doesn't matter what anyone who isn't steeped in the doom and gloom of all things Brexit has to say, the threads and the moaning just carry on anyway.

“ it doesn't matter what anyone who isn't steeped in the doom and gloom of all things Brexit has to say, the threads and the moaning just carry on threads anyway”

Just replace the word Brexit with the words Meghan and Harry .......

Lucca Sun 28-Mar-21 11:22:03

Namsnanny

......and so it rumbles on and on and on and on and on

Ditto Meghan and Harry threads.

Gannygangan Sun 28-Mar-21 11:52:47

Funny thing is when our grandchildren are married and leading their lives, Brexit won't enter their heads.

They may smile as they recall how outraged their grandparents were about it when they were young

Bit like my father reminiscing about WWII which was before my time.

Gannygangan Sun 28-Mar-21 11:54:24

PS They don't need to be married of course. Just older and living their lives.

Greta Sun 28-Mar-21 12:33:06

”Funny thing is when our grandchildren are married and leading their lives, Brexit won't enter their heads.”

I don't see it as a 'funny thing' at all. We'll be counting the cost of Brexit for many years to come. Our grandchildren may well wonder what made their grandparents swallow the leave-campaign's lies and submit to something so oviously impractical.

How do you think your grandchildren will benefit?

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 12:53:05

There's no need to "replace the word Brexit with the words Meghan and Harry" Lucca. There's a thread running at the moment where they are discussed and this one is about Brexit.

MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 13:47:57

Peasblossom

Nobody wants to answer my question, What’s the point of going on and on about something that’s a done deal and that you can’t change,

All those people who keep posting stuff about Brexit. What is the point???

I really don’t get it.

Just softening people up for when we're begging to be let back in, Peasblossom. grin

How do you think we got to this ridiculous position of being out of the EU in the first place? By people going on and on about it, some of them for 40+ years, ever since we first went in.

I think we'll be back in the Single Market and the Customs Union within a few years because we won't be able to recover our economy without it. I think that even business people who voted Leave are beginning to realise that the absence of tariffs (always the cry of the Leave campaigners - ' we'll beable to make tariff free FTAs') isn't the be all and end all of trading arrangements. Non tariff barriers have to be considered and they have come smack up against them, to the serious detriment of their trade with the EU. The EU isn't going to remove these barriers specially for us; the only way they'll be removed is by being back in the SM and the CU.

And our biggest export earner, financial services, is being decimated by firms moving from the UK to thee EU. The City is not pleased...

Anyone who tells you that we can replace all our lost EU trade by deals with the rest of the world, or by joining a trade bloc on the other side of the world, is a complete fantasist. I don't know what their game is, but it isn't beneficial to the UK, that's for sure.

Deedaa Sun 28-Mar-21 14:03:51

No one is mentioning the catastrophic effect Brexit is having on scientific research, and has been having since the referendum. DD heads a research team at one of our universities and deals with millions of pounds of research grants, mainly from the EU. These grants are being withdrawn, EU students are going home, offers of places on international committees are being quietly withdrawn. She is currently working on improving nutrition for children living in poverty here and abroad. £120 million has been cut from the foreign aid budget for this. £120 million is apparently the cost of the festiaval of Brexit ................................

Elusivebutterfly Sun 28-Mar-21 14:14:40

PGAgirl is the only Brexiter here who has given what she sees as benefits of Brexit though I do not see any of that as a benefit at all. The rest of the Brexiters here just say it is good but do not say why.
Gannygangan says our grandchildren will have forgotten about it when they are adults. This is nonsense. We all remember when we joined the Common Market and there are some who have campaigned ever since to leave and now got their way. Remainers will continue to campaign to rejoin. Many of our grandchildren are Remainers anyway.

keepingquiet Sun 28-Mar-21 14:15:42

Having said I haven't had my question answered in 5 years, ie 'Can you tell me one benefit of Brexit?' I finally got an answer!!

The answer seems to be that one benefit of Brexit is no longer needing to talk about it.

I can now sleep much more easily in my bed knowing that that is what we voted for.

Thanks everyone.

Lucca Sun 28-Mar-21 14:53:08

Smileless2012

There's no need to "replace the word Brexit with the words Meghan and Harry" Lucca. There's a thread running at the moment where they are discussed and this one is about Brexit.

Obviously I was referring to your comment about moaning on and on. The m and h threads totally disregard any different viewpoint
I thought your comment was ironic.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 16:24:20

Well it would have been ironic if I'd made a comment on a thread discussing H&M about moaning on and on, but I haven't.

That comment was in relation to this thread about Brexit.

Gannygangan Sun 28-Mar-21 16:35:30

Greta

^”Funny thing is when our grandchildren are married and leading their lives, Brexit won't enter their heads.”^

I don't see it as a 'funny thing' at all. We'll be counting the cost of Brexit for many years to come. Our grandchildren may well wonder what made their grandparents swallow the leave-campaign's lies and submit to something so oviously impractical.

How do you think your grandchildren will benefit?

We don't even know if there will be an EU as is in years to come.

My father fought during WWII. Him and his parents felt life would never be the same again.

I vividly remember my maternal Grandmother saying she had no idea how young people could afford to purchase a home. That was in 1980. We managed

We are but tiny cogs. We are resourceful.

Talking of leave campaign lies, I would like to stick up for people who never wanted to be in the EU, or EEC, was it?, back in the 70s.

There have been Euro sceptics for decades. Nothing to do with the Leave Campaign's promises. So many Brexiters were there right from the word go.

My grandchildren will hopefully be fine. That's all we can hope for.

We are but dust in a way. Tiny cogs with very little importance in the greater scheme of things.

I have 7 young adults in my family. Ages 20-35. None of them seem particularly interested. It happened. They've moved on

Dentistry, law and teaching are occupations. they are either in or studying.

The pandemic will be our biggest story of our lifetimes.

Brexit will be forgotten