Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who Benefits? Brexit

(63 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 27-Mar-21 00:28:14

Will someone please tell me who is actually benefiting from Brexit? I certainly know who isn’t but surely someone, somewhere, apart from the toffs who orchestrated it, are receiving a benefit ?
What are the positives?

Peasblossom Sun 28-Mar-21 17:30:40

MaizieD, well I hadn’t thought of it like that but you’ve got a point. I won’t roll my eyes in future when Brexit comes up.??

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 17:33:21

Great post Gannygangansmile.

Dinahmo Sun 28-Mar-21 18:00:21

Gannygangan I don't think that your GCs are going to be affected directly by Brexit other than shortages of some imported food and wine and furniture for their new homes. They are not in business as such, they are not importing or exporting so they won't have a problem.

MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 18:21:38

Brexit will be forgotten

I really, really doubt it. This is just wishful thinking...

Lucca Sun 28-Mar-21 18:37:05

Smileless2012

Well it would have been ironic if I'd made a comment on a thread discussing H&M about moaning on and on, but I haven't.

That comment was in relation to this thread about Brexit.

Oh dear. I can’t explain it any more really. You say anti Brexit people just keep moaning on about Brexit and ignore other views. You keep moaning on about h and m and other other views on that

growstuff Sun 28-Mar-21 18:41:32

I doubt very much if Brexit will be forgotten either. In the long run, it will have a much longer term effect then the pandemic.

growstuff Sun 28-Mar-21 18:43:24

Kandinsky

Some remainers are still very angry about it all so just like talking about it over & over.
Gransnet ( & other online forums) are probably some sort of outlet to let off steam because no one I know in RL ever mentions brexit.
I think a global pandemic killing millions became a bit more important.

Goodness me! Some of you lot do seem to love gaslighting. Good job you're not a psychoanalyst because you're not very good at it.

Greta Sun 28-Mar-21 19:11:27

There seems to be an attitude among some leave voters that ”things will sort themselves out, we are resourceful, we all have to make it work etc”. I'm afraid I can't be so sanguine about something as problematic as Brexit. One thing that worries me is security. We no longer have access to the EU's criminal database - the Schengen Information System. During the referendum I don't believe security featured at all. We had uninvited visitors from Russia not so long ago near where I live (Salisbury). It is also worrying that we lost our own police records fairly recently. But we are resourceful so let's just hope for the best.

Still no answer to how our grandchildren will benefit.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 20:07:37

I didn't ask you to explain Lucca. No explanation was needed or necessary.

nanna8 Mon 29-Mar-21 03:38:13

Someone censored me again. Racism against Aussies, clearly.

Cindersdad Mon 29-Mar-21 09:05:54

In the long run very few if any (including JRM, Bojo and Co.) will benefit from Brexit. We've relatively small numbers of individuals being destroyed by Brexit and there will be more who will be seriously impacted over the coming months.

We have lost freedom of movement across Europe. Found it much harder to export to the EU. Antagonised many of European friends, divided the country all in the cause of Brexit ideaology. Loss of freedom currently has been masked by Covid so the Brexit effect has not really sunk in.

Between now and the time of the next general election we will have to judge the impact of Brexit. The impact of a right wing government and hopefully by then we should have a credible opposition. Covid and the recent Suez canal blockage may make the country more self reliant.

My hope is that we will rejoin the EU within the next 10 years but not before a lot of damage has been done. The only Brexit bonus will be a rejection of the current Trumpian philosophy and a return to the values that really matter to most of us.

growstuff Mon 29-Mar-21 10:16:52

Cindersdad Your last sentence reflects my own wish for the future. However it happens, I really do hope for "a return to the values that really matter to most of us" - and that does not include mean-minded nationalism, a narrative of British exceptionalism, lying, cronyism and jingoistic flag-waving. It does include open-mindedness, tolerance and an ambition to be fair.