Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who Benefits? Brexit

(62 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 27-Mar-21 00:28:14

Will someone please tell me who is actually benefiting from Brexit? I certainly know who isn’t but surely someone, somewhere, apart from the toffs who orchestrated it, are receiving a benefit ?
What are the positives?

keepingquiet Sat 27-Mar-21 08:33:23

Rich people benefit otherwise it wouldn't have happened. I have been asking this question since the referendum and no one has given me an answer- will be interesting to see if you get any response.

Peasblossom Sat 27-Mar-21 09:33:38

I voted remain, but it’s happened.

So I guess my question is what’s the point in going on and on about it? What do you hope to achieve ?

Now we have to make it work because there’s no going back.

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 09:37:48

I don't think you'll get a response because the Brexiters on here are tired of telling us about the glories of Brexit and finding that said glories are unappreciated.

They now tend to ignore threads like this. If they've been adversely affected they're not admitting it...

Alexa Sat 27-Mar-21 09:42:02

But will Europe not take us back, maybe if we pay a fine ?

Kandinsky Sat 27-Mar-21 10:01:42

I voted leave.
Would vote leave again.
I can honestly say though, I haven’t noticed a single difference be it positive or negative.
But it’s way too soon for most of us to
answer the question.
Ask it again in 5 or 10 years.

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 10:12:35

^But it’s way too soon for most of us to
answer the question.^

But you were all very keen to extol the benefits before and just after the vote, Kandinsky. We weren't told then that it would take years to become apparent (or not). What has changed?

growstuff Sat 27-Mar-21 10:50:41

Just because changes might not have affected you personally Kadinsky doesn't mean they're not happening. They most certainly are. So why did you vote to destabilise the relationship we had with the EU in 2016 when you hadn't a clue what the benefits would be?

growstuff Sat 27-Mar-21 10:55:47

Peasblossom

I voted remain, but it’s happened.

So I guess my question is what’s the point in going on and on about it? What do you hope to achieve ?

I feel the same as you Peasblosson, but it really is frustrating to see that there's no effort to make anything better. Unfortunately, the concerns which were dismissed as Project Fear are coming true. The government seems to be reacting with a load of flag-waving nonsense and the "Festival of Brexit" - wow! that'll bring the country together! What a vanity project! The government is going out of its way to divide the country more than it already is with its culture war, which it has instigated for political reasons.

Namsnanny Sat 27-Mar-21 11:01:17

MaizieD

I don't think you'll get a response because the Brexiters on here are tired of telling us about the glories of Brexit and finding that said glories are unappreciated.

They now tend to ignore threads like this. If they've been adversely affected they're not admitting it...

P
I dont know, as I dont generally
comment on political threads, but perhaps they just cant be ar$d to engage in arguments about old news?

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:07:16

TBH I "can't be ar$d to engage in arguments about old news" Namsnanny and I "tend to ignore threads like this" because they're all the same, and it doesn't matter what anyone who isn't steeped in the doom and gloom of all things Brexit has to say, the threads and the moaning just carry on anyway.

Namsnanny Sat 27-Mar-21 11:12:03

gringrin my thoughts entirely!! smileless

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 11:14:34

But there's the big problem, Peasblossom. It isn't going to work in its present form because it is impossible for it to work.

There is no practicable solution to NI. There never was and after 5 years of trying to find one, and the dreadful 'solution' we have now, it is clear that there isn't going to be one.
Exports to the EU have dropped like a stone or become non-existent in some cases and this is a result of our being a third country and being treated as such by the EU. This is not going to change either. However many other trading blocs we join across the rest of the world and however many trade agreements we might make we are never going to replace the loss of exports/ export value to the EU. Replacing 40% of our exports is too big an ask, ever.

The only mitigation we can have for this is closer alignment with the EU, even, at some point, rejoining the SM & the CU, because it is only by aligning that export restrictions become eased.

We may not rejoin the EU soon, but I wouldn't count it out. With a more trustworthy and rational government it could be a realistic prospect.

Interestingly, something I read recently said that we were now, economically, in much the same position as we were in the 60s when we were desperately trying to join the Common Market...

libra10 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:16:43

Anyone who has been lucky enough to have had their Covid vaccination should be happy about Brexit.

Compare the high rates of UK vaccinations done compared to Europe's bureaucratic muddle. They couldn't have done worse, now threatening to block exports of the vaccinations.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:22:00

Yes, to join the Common Market which was not what the EU has become and at the time Charles de Gaulle was "desperately trying" to keep us out.

Not a lot's changed there has it.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:23:42

It looks as if a deal is about to be struck so the supply of vaccinations wont be blocked libra despite Macron's best efforts to do so.

Kandinsky Sat 27-Mar-21 11:24:07

Apparently, we could have ordered all our vaccines and been well ahead even if we’d stayed in the EU ( according to some remainers )
Not sure if that’s true, but if it is, why are all the other EU coutures so far behind us?
Why didn’t they do what we did?
I mean, they can do no wrong according to some people. But crikey, even their own citizens are disappointed in them.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:30:42

I don't see how that can be true Kandinsky as you say they're so far behind us, it doesn't make any sense.

Daisend1 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:32:11

growstuff
Be patient.
Rome wasn't, so history informs, built in a day.

LadyGracie Sat 27-Mar-21 11:44:27

It's done, we're out why do we have to keep harping on about it.

We're out with a crap deal, unfortunately, but I wouldn't want to be back in now.

growstuff Sat 27-Mar-21 12:19:57

libra10

Anyone who has been lucky enough to have had their Covid vaccination should be happy about Brexit.

Compare the high rates of UK vaccinations done compared to Europe's bureaucratic muddle. They couldn't have done worse, now threatening to block exports of the vaccinations.

And that really is just about the only positive! And that's been manufactured and manipulated!

Some EU countries actually have the same percentage of fully vaccinated people as the UK.

growstuff Sat 27-Mar-21 12:22:43

Daisend1

growstuff
Be patient.
Rome wasn't, so history informs, built in a day.

So what am I waiting for?

I've truly given up and I'm not going to write what I truly think of people who still go along with the rubbish. They're beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned, but there's nothing I can do about them and my sanity is too important to me to even spend time thinking about them.

Blossoming Sat 27-Mar-21 12:25:48

MaizieD

Jacob Rees Mogg benefits.

Blossoming Sat 27-Mar-21 12:26:38

Oops, I didn’t mean to quote a post!

MaizieD Sat 27-Mar-21 12:56:52

Jacob Rees Mogg benefits.

We'll see them in 50 years time, wasn't it?

And yes. we could have done exactly the same thing with our vaccines if we'd still been in the EU.

Many things could have been totally different, though.

We could have had a competent government; we could have influenced the Commission to behave differently, because we were a very significant and influential member of the EU (despite our continual moaning). We certainly wouldn't be deep in the economic doodoo as we are now...