Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pupils taught how to respect and behave around women.

(37 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 14:21:33

This is a positive step, and the most heartening thing to me is the pupils requested it.

www.itv.com/news/granada/2021-04-01/pupils-at-wellacre-academy-get-lessons-in-how-to-respect-and-behave-around-women-following-sarah-everard-death

M0nica Fri 02-Apr-21 13:15:07

Unfortunately schools end up having the failings of parents. But we need to draw a line between what happens in school and happens out of school.

Schools need to have very strict rules about sexually explicit behaviour and talk in school and then, most importantly, they must implement it. Sex education also needs to address the subject.

Outside school, the schools can have no remit. If under 18s indulge in sexual, talk, harrassment or abuse, as these children are of school age, then the school gets mentioned even though the offences are unrelated to their schooling.

I think it needs to be made clear to children that any conversation, action or incited action is sexual abuse and that it will be reported to the police. The police must then take appropriate action, whuch may be anything from a reprimand to a court case and again must apply the rule.

It is the certainity of punishment not the severity of punishment that matters.

CShotnik Fri 02-Apr-21 13:39:37

It starts at home! Value a moral compass. Teachers are required to reach into areas they do not belong, respect is earned.

kircubbin2000 Fri 02-Apr-21 13:44:12

A lot of girls have no self respect and copy behaviour seen in Love Island and pop videos,many of which are practically obscene.
They dress in a slutty way and you can see the pictures they put on Snapchat or Instagram,. No wonder boys are confused.

Iam64 Fri 02-Apr-21 13:45:21

Blossoming, thanks for the OP. What a lot of negative responses. Good on these pupils for wanting some support and structure in discussing complex stuff. I hope the staff have more support than they;d get here

Oswin Sun 04-Apr-21 01:11:15

kircubbin2000

A lot of girls have no self respect and copy behaviour seen in Love Island and pop videos,many of which are practically obscene.
They dress in a slutty way and you can see the pictures they put on Snapchat or Instagram,. No wonder boys are confused.

Oh gosh. What an awful thing to say. So girls are being sexually assaulted and harassed and you lay the blame with the girls?!

eazybee Sun 04-Apr-21 09:35:01

You cannot sit pupils down and give them lessons in respect for each other. It needs to be inculcated very early on, with constantly addressing simple behaviour issues among children; pushing, shouting, rough play, taunting; thanking others for kindnesses such as opening doors, carrying things etc. You then have a basis to work on as children grow older that you treat each other with respect, and also yourself;
Parents have to deal with these issues but so many don't, and the influence and power of social media is insidious and very hard to combat, as is that of alcohol. Schools have to deal with the consequences; they are not the instigators.

lemsip Sun 04-Apr-21 09:55:28

eazybee I agree with you. couldn't have said it better myself.
Manners are not just the 'say please and thankyou' type. consideration for others and do as you would be done by.

my family were taught about law and order as we grew older.

Sago Sun 04-Apr-21 12:23:58

It is up to the parents to teach manners and respect, sadly though many parents do not know the meaning of the words.
So the poor teachers have to cram something else into an already full curriculum.

I am not on FB but my daughter sent me a screen shot of a young girl 15 ish, she was pouting and exposing most of her breasts.
She was asking if anyone male or female wanted to pop round and lick chocolate off her breasts.
It wasn’t worded quite as politely.

How can this girl have so little respect for herself?

There is little hope.

grannypiper Sun 04-Apr-21 14:08:16

Girls also need to be taught self respect and self defense

welbeck Sun 04-Apr-21 17:11:19

absent, i don't quite understand your point.
is not everyone worthy of respect, unless they do something to lose it. how would a profoundly disabled person earn your respect, if they could not move or speak.
and how do you distinguish respect from courtesy.

welbeck Sun 04-Apr-21 17:18:05

it starts from infancy.
babies not being thrust into the arms of someone they clearly dislike, or just don't want to be near at that moment.
toddlers being told to go kiss aunty, or even worse, uncle.
most young parents now realise how wrong that was, but some older relatives still have these expectations, and it can cause conflict.
if children are brought up with appropriate autonomy, they are more likely to naturally recognise the rights of others.