Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Conservatives have claimed Good Friday

(531 Posts)
suziewoozie Fri 02-Apr-21 23:04:23

Just when you think they can’t sink any lower

Lucca Sat 03-Apr-21 08:48:31

Ooops I’m so sorry , I wrote that too quickly. I should have said it s ok to recognise/mention/mark Good Friday but ...etc.
Again apologies.

MaizieD Sat 03-Apr-21 08:57:13

Apologies for snapping at you, too, Lucca. flowers

I'm not even a practising christian any more, but I was brought up as one and I do know what it's about.

suziewoozie Sat 03-Apr-21 09:03:11

To those who said thst I shouldn’t have posted it and given it more publicity are you actually saying that in a democracy the rather grubby offensive actions of a Government minister should be hidden and I should collaborate with that? You’ll be saying next we shouldn’t be discussing the grubby offensive dirty little affair of the PM with the pole dancer. Had it been a left of centre politician tweeting this, there would have been a stampede to post in on GN.

Anniebach Sat 03-Apr-21 09:08:33

Why do you find it offensive suziewoozie you place the crucifixion with a ‘dirty little affair’.

4 posts yesterday sharing the true meaning of Good Friday, 26
today because a politician posted a cross.

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:08:58

Mamardoit

If it's a poster plastered all over buses and hoardings I can see why people would find it offensive. Is it something just on a twitter post? I don't do twitter so not really sure how it works. Do you have to purposely log on to someone to see it?

Twitter is an extremely effective way for politicians and everybody else to communicate with their public. You don't need to log on to see it. Whether the image is on Twitter or on a bus its still Zahawi trying to associate himself and his party with a religious festival.

I don't have any problem with politicians greeting their constituent on any religious festival but this one is just a sad and blatant attempt to associate Christianity with being Conservative. He's an idiot.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:11:13

Do you find these from Twitter by the Labour Party, Liberal and Greens offensive also?

Anniebach Sat 03-Apr-21 09:13:04

Does it matter if he associated Father Christmas with being conservative , surely atheists place Christ with Father Christmas

Galaxy Sat 03-Apr-21 09:14:25

I find those equally pointless.

Gannygangan Sat 03-Apr-21 09:15:26

Ouch, GrannyGravy13!

ginny Sat 03-Apr-21 09:17:31

Grannygravy I saw those too.

Anniebach Sat 03-Apr-21 09:17:32

Interesting GrannyGravy wonder if they posted Easter greetings.

Gannygangan Sat 03-Apr-21 09:17:50

He's not wishing anyone a Good Friday. Just posted something on Twitter on Good Friday.

If you abhor the government you'll pounce.

I'm no fan but something posted on Twitter doesn't really mean very much. It is somewhat of a cesspit.

True there's some interesting people on there. But the majority aren't.

BlueSky Sat 03-Apr-21 09:18:40

Exactly GrannyGravy!

Gannygangan Sat 03-Apr-21 09:18:43

Anniebach

Interesting GrannyGravy wonder if they posted Easter greetings.

I was just wondering that, Anniebach

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:19:40

Actually, I don't find any of them offensive, even the Tory one. But the Lib Dem, Labour and Green ones are wishing people a happy....whatever.

Not just saying "Good Friday. Conservative". Subtle, actually, and not as far as I can see sanctioned by his party and hence not approved by the undoubtedly huge PR team they've got. Which is probably why it slipped through.

And as someone above pointed out I don't believe its a tradition to wish people well on Good Friday? Don't you wait until Sunday?

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:20:42

I'm no fan but something posted on Twitter doesn't really mean very much. It is somewhat of a cesspit

Yes it does.

No its not.

In that order.

Septimia Sat 03-Apr-21 09:21:25

It's clearly a misunderstanding of the relevance of Good Friday to Christians.

The Eid and Passover ones are acknowledging a celebration.

Zahawi has missed the point here and should have waited to post a Happy Easter meassage.

Gannygangan Sat 03-Apr-21 09:21:59

Alegrias1

^I'm no fan but something posted on Twitter doesn't really mean very much. It is somewhat of a cesspit^

Yes it does.

No its not.

In that order.

You might think so

Personally I don't

Galaxy Sat 03-Apr-21 09:22:48

Twitter has 300 million users. I agree it can be a cesspit and can be deeply problematic but we cant just pretend Twitter isnt important.

Gannygangan Sat 03-Apr-21 09:24:13

Galaxy

Twitter has 300 million users. I agree it can be a cesspit and can be deeply problematic but we cant just pretend Twitter isnt important.

Twitter can and does ruin people's lives.

janeainsworth Sat 03-Apr-21 09:27:13

I’ll just leave this here.....perhaps we should leave the politicians to their dirty point scoring and cultural appropriation and let them get on with it.

Ellianne Sat 03-Apr-21 09:30:35

I would never wish anyone a Happy Good Friday, but would wait until Easter Sunday. That is when we give our Easter eggs because in the church tradition that day celebrates new life. I find the poster somewhat distasteful, it gets it entirely wrong.
Having said that we have got so used to visual pop up messages of all sorts over the past year that this one just gets filed in the bin along with all the other rubbish.

EllanVannin Sat 03-Apr-21 09:30:52

Blimey I'd want something to argue over {shock] rolls eyes too.

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:36:42

The Queen's on Twitter. Does she know its a cess pit?

twitter.com/royalfamily

She could always chat to Attenborough about it

twitter.com/attenboroughsir?lang=en

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:37:50

It isn't wishing anyone a happy Good Friday, it's acknowledging that yesterday was Good Friday. For some the cross is in itself offensive as it was a form of torture.

I'm not a Conservative but I am a Christian and don't find it offensive.