Gransnet forums

News & politics

X R rebellion at Canary Wharf this morning

(88 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:07:16

XR have shattered numerous large windows in the HSBC building at Canary Wharf this morning.

Do they not realise that replacing these will contribute to climate damage which is what they protest about.

This is just wanton criminal damage!

Riverwalk Thu 22-Apr-21 09:57:02

The issue of climate change will remain in the news due to the new president in the White House - Joe Biden is today hosting a World Climate summit.

No need for smashing of bank windows.

Imagine being a cleaner or security guard there when windows are being smashed - the only staff likely to be around at that time of the morning. The fat-cat bankers are comfortably working from home.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 09:58:47

It's not gossiping though is it , its holding a different point of view.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:00:01

If you are concerned about how much this is costing, have you any idea what climate change has cost the world to date? And I’m not talking about the cost to the environment.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:03:08

It’s such a waste of our energy just to shout into the wind which is all many of those, who just sit and clack their needles while gossiping about what others achieve

What do you suggest PippaZ ?

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 10:06:05

Yes every pretty much every thread on GN would need to be pulled if that's the maxim we have to follow. In fact the whole of the internet would have to cease. Maybe not a bad thing.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:10:47

Mining for lithium which is used in batteries which power phones, tablets, laptops and electric vehicles is destroying areas of South America and Tibet. Killing all surrounding wildlife and polluting rivers and water courses.

This is what the search for alternative to fossil fuels is doing to the world. Many articles on line for those who want to
see for themselves.

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 10:12:54

GrannyGravy13

^It’s such a waste of our energy just to shout into the wind which is all many of those, who just sit and clack their needles while gossiping about what others achieve^

What do you suggest PippaZ ?

I put a suggestion in my post but really, if you are concerned, you do what you can. I'm not too sure what the unconcerned would do other than slate the concerned. They won't get it all right but they are at least trying.

In answer to the question "What do you do Granny?" I can only say it will never be enough, sadly and hope others can turn this round.

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 10:15:53

Galaxy

Yes every pretty much every thread on GN would need to be pulled if that's the maxim we have to follow. In fact the whole of the internet would have to cease. Maybe not a bad thing.

I don't think all the threads would be pulled Galaxy smile Some are really helpful and some occasionally educational.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 10:18:56

Most are commenting on the behaviour of others though. There would be no politics threads for example. Mmm I may not be selling my point well here smile

Callistemon Thu 22-Apr-21 10:20:32

GrannyGravy13

Mining for lithium which is used in batteries which power phones, tablets, laptops and electric vehicles is destroying areas of South America and Tibet. Killing all surrounding wildlife and polluting rivers and water courses.

This is what the search for alternative to fossil fuels is doing to the world. Many articles on line for those who want to
see for themselves.

The proposals are to start mining the sea bed.

I don't agree with wanton destruction as a means of drawing attention to other destruction.
There must be other ways. I'm not sure that those at the forefront eg Greta Thunberg, David Attenborough etc would think that is the way forward either.

www.greenpeace.org/international/publication/45835/deep-sea-mining-exploitation/#:~:text=Scientists%20warn%20that%20deep%20sea,the%20climate%20emergency%20even%20worse.

Rosie51 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:30:59

Greta Thunberg? Who? Never heard of them, obviously hasn't caused enough criminal damage thus far wink

grandmajet Thu 22-Apr-21 10:31:09

The issue is not that of valuing property over people, or the financial cost of repairing the damage, but the environmental cost of extra production that will be required.
The issue of lithium for battery powered vehicles, phones etc is a huge one involving much child slave labour and criminal activity, mostly in central Africa, but seems to largely ignored in the charge for electric vehicles.
Unintended consequences, but real ones.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:32:53

Every action produces a reaction, whether it be good or bad.

That applies to looking to alternative fuel sources also.

Unless we are all prepared to go back to cave dwelling with no technology , to lead our lives in the 21st century we all leave our own carbon footprints .

If each person on the planet does what they can it will help a little.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:33:46

agree grandmajet

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 10:40:54

Extinction Rebellion PAYING protestors £200,000 to cause chaos and grind London to a halt
EXTINCTION REBELLION is paying its campaigners up to £400 a week to cause chaos on the streets of the UK, it has been revealed.

some of the people doing the damage are out of work on benefits but paid buy any 'cause' they join to do the damage and take the consequences.

vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 11:05:12

lemsip

Extinction Rebellion PAYING protestors £200,000 to cause chaos and grind London to a halt
EXTINCTION REBELLION is paying its campaigners up to £400 a week to cause chaos on the streets of the UK, it has been revealed.

some of the people doing the damage are out of work on benefits but paid buy any 'cause' they join to do the damage and take the consequences.

Can I see the evidence for this statement please as I've never heard/seen it before and would like to find out more about it?

Sarnia Thu 22-Apr-21 11:11:16

I can't be doing with this lot. Last year it costs councils thousands of pounds to clear skip loads of rubbish from the streets after their protests and encampments. Several pop-up tents left behind which, I might add, are mostly recyclable. Hypocrites. I put out around 10 large purple sacks of litter picked rubbish every fortnight and recycle my household items. So before anyone thinks I am against the environment, I am not.

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 11:28:07

Vampirequeen. I'm surprised that people who comment on here apparently don't keep up with the news and current affairs if discussing topical subjects.
Been all over the the news.
I remembered this so googled the words 'extinction rebellion. paid agitators' quite simple. a page full from different sources popped up

eazybee Thu 22-Apr-21 11:29:04

Wanton criminal damage.
No surprise in the people who advocate and support it.

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 11:41:23

lemsip

The DM and Express far-right rubbish on something that was originally reported in 2019.

There is an article - if you want information - that tells you where the money goes and who is funding Extinction Rebellion (why the need to shout?) ...

But you didn't look for that one did you Lemsip?

trisher Thu 22-Apr-21 11:49:28

The Huffpost has an article about it. The total cost of the London demonstration included feeding demonstrators, but also the costumes, equipment etc needed to stage events www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/extinction-rebellion-protests-funding_uk_5da09183e4b02c9da0495bba

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 12:17:26

PippaZ ... Can't imagine why people want little ole me to look things up for them! how strange.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 13:59:35

Hope they are made to pay for the massive damage they caused, this is rent-a-mob territory.
Like all extremists they don’t care two hoots about anyone else, and enjoy a bit of anarchy and showing off holier than thou credentials.

Callistemon Thu 22-Apr-21 15:03:05

The problem with many well-meaning and worthwhile protest movements is that they can be infiltrated by radical extremists and anarchists who have their own agenda.

This then detracts from the message which needs to be portrayed because their actions antagonise people instead of getting them onside.

Smileless2012 Thu 22-Apr-21 15:21:21

If this latest incident has been caused by radical extremists and anarchists who've infiltrated XR then XR needs to distance themselves from this criminal act.

As you say Callistemon this type of behaviour will antagonise and alienate some who may support the cause but not some of the methods used, including paying people to create chaos and cause criminal damage.