Gransnet forums

News & politics

X R rebellion at Canary Wharf this morning

(88 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 08:07:16

XR have shattered numerous large windows in the HSBC building at Canary Wharf this morning.

Do they not realise that replacing these will contribute to climate damage which is what they protest about.

This is just wanton criminal damage!

4allweknow Fri 23-Apr-21 15:22:17

Just vandalism. Easy high profile target. No doubt all the demonstrators are dressed in recycled natural clothing, they cycled to the venue, their flags are natural materials (not plastic) and there was no battery in their phone. Couldn't they demonstrate at car manufacturers who are producing cars with huge batteries that need resources taken from land and ocean beds. Solar panels, never advertised the resources used in their production. Vandalism is not the ways to make a point. Do hope whoever is responsible is charged and sentenced.

Cunco Fri 23-Apr-21 17:42:55

My passing reference to a Green Dictatorship reflected the third of Extinction Rebellion's 3 key steps as reported by the BBC in April 2019:

The government must, in their words, "tell the truth" about the scale of the crisis the world now faces.

Secondly, the UK must enact legally binding policies to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025.

The third step is the formation of a Citizens' Assembly to "oversee the changes" that will be needed to achieve this goal.

As it happens, I have been a conserver and recycler all my life, initially out of need and subsequently by habit. I do not know if we will have a planetary climate disaster but it is not being kept a secret; and it has not gone unnoticed by governments, big business and the world at large.

Nanette1955 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:22:47

Indeed it is,, but for for all the wrong reasons!

Katie59 Fri 23-Apr-21 19:22:48

“there is lots of money to be made from alternative energy sources “

Only with government subsidies, renewable power is far more expensive than fossil fuels. Offshore wind is particularly expensive, solar is less but is only a small part of the energy mix, when battery storage is added it won’t be cheap. Nuclear too not cheap over its lifespan and controversial too.

Many of us have solar panels filled on the FIT scheme, that has ended, virtually none have been bought since.

Alegrias1 Fri 23-Apr-21 20:37:54

I think your information is a bit behind the times Katie59

ourworldindata.org/cheap-renewables-growth

I'm not convinced by nuclear; I don't understand how we cope with the by-products.

Thank you for the explanation Cunco

Katie59 Fri 23-Apr-21 21:53:40

Alegrias1

I think your information is a bit behind the times Katie59

ourworldindata.org/cheap-renewables-growth

I'm not convinced by nuclear; I don't understand how we cope with the by-products.

Thank you for the explanation Cunco

From your own attachment Onshore wind is cheap. But we don’t do much in the UK, ours is mostly offshore at 4 times the cost, maybe in the future that can be done without subsidy but it hasn’t happened yet.
I fully support renewable but I do recognize the limitations and the cost that we are all going to have to pay

Saetana Sat 24-Apr-21 01:39:08

I am sorry XR have protested in your area - we have had protests ad nauseum in Bristol over the last two years, the result being that all the sympathy they MIGHT have had for their aims has disappeared. They are totally useless - remember the protest when they were climbing on top of tube trains? You know, public transport! Every single one of their useless protests has caused environmental damage - I have no time for these people who cause damage without suggesting any useful solutions. Fortunately they have stopped protesting in Bristol - apart from a few who have joined in with the "Kill the Bill" protests - something us residents are also well and truly sick of!

Mollygo Sat 24-Apr-21 02:59:51

If and when X-R arrive near you, and damages your property or buildings you feel you have a right to visit or work in safely I hope you will be equally understanding.
XR seem to have little understanding about the carbon footprint for replacement. There is much more awareness and many more people are doing what they can-a drop in the ocean compared with what the world needs, granted but better than doing nothing.
I wonder if the protesters then drove off home in their fuel-guzzling cars, to clean up in their fossil fuel powered bathrooms, then settled down to admire themselves on the electrically powered TV and use their environmentally costly devices, (as we do when posting on here), to post their opinions on how useful it is to smash up property to get your views heard.

PembsPaul Sat 24-Apr-21 11:28:55

Some may be interested to see this article from the New York Times?
I’ve read the comments above and would just say that it’s very likely that the MSM does not report truthfully about the extent of damage being caused to our planet. Time really is running out.
www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/climate/climate-change-economy.html?campaign_id=51&emc=edit_mbe_20210423&instance_id=29583&nl=morning-briefing%3A-europe-edition®i_id=131002972&segment_id=56160&te=1&user_id=c0d8ac0e7f4d45c8f1e1f26f2fb3d29b

Maremia Mon 26-Apr-21 16:53:26

Yes Trisher, there were millions at that peaceful Stop the War demo, and it was completely ignored.

Alexa Mon 26-Apr-21 18:21:14

It is not easy to inform people who are information-deprived. Everyone likes to have their own point of view endorsed (confirmation bias) and most people get their info from friends and relations , or social media. Not quality sources.

This is why directed violence gets people talking, and at least expressing their prejudices.

Yorki Wed 28-Apr-21 21:45:16

There's no need to cause criminal damage to get your point across, it's stupid, people using vandalism as an excuse, these people are causing trouble for troubles sake, I bet half of them don't even know why they're protesting, they see a riot and join in, it's a shame the police are no longer allowed to use water cannons, they'd be my first option.