Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mr Johnson and Mr Cummings

(745 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:55:04

Demonic has suggested that Mr Johnson has been not entirely honest about his communications with James Dyson.

I recognise many people believe Mr J was ‘doing his best for the country in a pandemic’ when he offered to sort the tax for Mr Dyson. But, do we want ethical government or not?

Riverwalk Sat 24-Apr-21 07:38:20

Probably not suzie, with an 80-seat majority and a forgiving fan base, but I hope it gets dirty!

Lucca Sat 24-Apr-21 07:39:00

The arrogance of them all is astounding.

Maybe the same arrogance would be seen if other parties were in power, who knows. Power corrupts and all that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Apr-21 07:44:51

No the arrogance doesn’t astound me.

What does astound me is the docility of the voter.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Apr-21 07:50:55

Love this comment on twitter

“If you are going to employ a dead cat strategy, you should ensure that the cat is dead and not armed”

It shows just how stupid Johnson is.

Someone else commented that No 10 is beginning to look like Trump’s White House.

Iam64 Sat 24-Apr-21 08:06:10

It seems no one who ever worked with, was married to, had an affair with Mr J for example, has a positive word for him. He is dishonest, unreliable and selfish.
Yet his popularity with many members of the public continues. He has the ability to make people smile. The successful immunisation campaign seems to have made the ‘contracts for pals with no qualifications - total waste of public money’ disappear in a puff of smoke.
The feud between Demonic and the laughing PM is interesting to those of us interested in politics. Will it have a negative impact on Johnson’s public image? What has to happen that will?

Lucca Sat 24-Apr-21 08:12:05

It’s the same old story....... anything in a blue rosette is fine

suziewoozie Sat 24-Apr-21 08:20:39

Iam64

It seems no one who ever worked with, was married to, had an affair with Mr J for example, has a positive word for him. He is dishonest, unreliable and selfish.
Yet his popularity with many members of the public continues. He has the ability to make people smile. The successful immunisation campaign seems to have made the ‘contracts for pals with no qualifications - total waste of public money’ disappear in a puff of smoke.
The feud between Demonic and the laughing PM is interesting to those of us interested in politics. Will it have a negative impact on Johnson’s public image? What has to happen that will?

It’s quite fascinating trying to understand Johnson’s enduring Teflon coated popularity. Imo it’s about appealing to people’s basest instincts. Do what you want, when you want, to who you want, grin, ruffle your hair and repeat. There are plenty of people imo who would love to conduct themselves as he does and get away with it. He’s living their dream. No moral responsibility for anyone or anything. No need to ever feel guilty about anything. The vaccine success has provided the perfect cover hasn’t it? He’s forgiven everything for that. Johnson supporters don’t do balance or nuance do they?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Apr-21 08:26:55

Dominic Grieves described Johnson as a

“Vacuum of integrity”

suziewoozie Sat 24-Apr-21 08:28:39

Whitewavemark2

Dominic Grieves described Johnson as a

“Vacuum of integrity”

Well he’s not wrong is he but it simply doesn’t matter.

Polarbear2 Sat 24-Apr-21 08:43:31

I’m watching with great interest and not a little amusement. They’re a horrible set of people aren’t they. Fighting in a sack ?. I DO hope Gove takes over. Even though he makes my skin crawl. The people who voted for BJ because he’s a ‘laugh’ won’t fall for Gove. We might actually get a shift at the next election ?

Aveline Sat 24-Apr-21 08:44:58

There's something of the playground about it all really.

suziewoozie Sat 24-Apr-21 08:50:36

Aveline

There's something of the playground about it all really.

It’s far more serious than that but as I keep saying it won’t make any difference - not because it’s not important but because we have the most morally bankrupt and corrupt government ever.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Apr-21 08:51:44

Time after time it happens.

The Tory arrogance and sense of entitlement, along with an insatiable greed means that corruption cronyism, scandal and immorality leads to their downfall.

They then spend time pretending to clean up their act, and the process begins all over again.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 24-Apr-21 09:19:40

The Dyson vacuum cleaner I bought turned out to be the worst one I had ever owned and remembering how it came at the bottom of the Which reviews as a result of build quality, I remember being less than impressed at the thought of them making a life saving piece of equipment. Dyson’s move to Singapore seemed to say it all as far as I was concerned; profit over loyalty to his country.

lemongrove Sat 24-Apr-21 09:33:14

The Dyson I have at the moment is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever bought.
So silly to equate politics with vacuum cleaners as you have just done Lovetopaint.
Cummings is a discredited force now, anything he says may be listened to but then dismissed as the angry and petulant jibes of a sacked employee who wants to keep his own name out there in current affairs.
suziew is right for once when she comments that it doesn’t matter.
Had Cummings still been employed in Number 10 it would matter, but as it is, it may be all very entertaining but that’s it.

Aveline Sat 24-Apr-21 09:37:21

Suziewoozie- of course its serious but it still reminds me of small boys playing tit for tat. Its a waste of energy and time when there are very serious matters at stake.

lemongrove Sat 24-Apr-21 09:37:51

Whitewavemark2

Time after time it happens.

The Tory arrogance and sense of entitlement, along with an insatiable greed means that corruption cronyism, scandal and immorality leads to their downfall.

They then spend time pretending to clean up their act, and the process begins all over again.

?Well, whitewave they have been in power for a very long time now, where is this downfall that you speak of?

There is corruption, sleaze, scandal, cronyism etc in every government Tory or Labour since I became of voting age to take an interest in, and well before that by a very long time I expect.It’s naive to think otherwise.

lemongrove Sat 24-Apr-21 09:38:35

Aveline

*Suziewoozie*- of course its serious but it still reminds me of small boys playing tit for tat. Its a waste of energy and time when there are very serious matters at stake.

Yes.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Apr-21 09:39:29

Lovetopaint037

The Dyson vacuum cleaner I bought turned out to be the worst one I had ever owned and remembering how it came at the bottom of the Which reviews as a result of build quality, I remember being less than impressed at the thought of them making a life saving piece of equipment. Dyson’s move to Singapore seemed to say it all as far as I was concerned; profit over loyalty to his country.

I agree we have 3 different makes in our house, for one reason or another, and the Dyson is the worst one. Overpriced and poor performance

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Apr-21 09:41:17

I don't find anything entertaining about it at all. I don't think the absence of serious government in this country is at all entertaining.

FWIW, I thought Johnson had been doing better since Cummings disappeared off the scene as he had probably been getting better advice. Maybe he should have chosen his advisers better from the start.

Still think he's a dangerous liability though.

lemongrove Sat 24-Apr-21 09:43:47

? Much condemning of Dyson vacuums coming up.

vampirequeen Sat 24-Apr-21 09:44:01

I'm looking forward to this. Cummings will know where all the bodies are buried whilst the Whips only know about some of them. There must be some very worried Ministers and MPs at the moment grin

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Apr-21 09:50:30

?Well, whitewave they have been in power for a very long time now, where is this downfall that you speak of?

It's in Scotland, where we know a bunch of chancers when we see them. They haven't been in power here since the 1950s.

And don't tell me how well Baroness Davidson did - she didn't do as well as Thatcher did for the Tories in Scotland, that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Sorry, can't help myself wink

Casdon Sat 24-Apr-21 09:52:42

There’s definitely more to come if BJ’s demeanor on the news yesterday is anything to go by, he was more uncomfortable than I’ve ever seen him.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Apr-21 09:52:49

Of course Tory supporters ( do they not recognise lack of moral fibre and integrity when it is hitting them in the face?) will try to downplay this latest scandal.

But the Major government was brought down by something far less serious - they had the expenses scandal, but this current lot have corruption, potential illegality and immoral integrity everywhere you look.

What is saving Johnson’s skin is the fact that he is riding on the backs of the scientists and NHS, who he will cheerfully stab in the back if he deems it necessary to save his skin.