Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is wrong with John Lewis?

(234 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:50:18

Carrie Symonds was reportedly appalled at the “John Lewis nightmare” after Theresa May moved out. I have seen pictures of May in the flat and I think it looks absolutely fine. Very British in taste as you would expect.

I nearly always shop in John Lewis for stuff, so do I assume my taste is a nightmare?

Apparently John Betjamin that very British poet remarked that when the end of the world came, he hoped to be in a John Lewis store as nothing unpleasant can ever happen there.

Perhaps that it the point - it is all so bland and British that it becomes a nightmare of boredom?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:38:37

The Government should have a storage facility that current PMs could go to and select furnishings, art work etc.

They should use their own bedding and towels.

Must be plenty of furniture in Embassy lofts.

MerylStreep Thu 29-Apr-21 08:40:02

Pantglas
Your correct. I have a letter sent to me by Alan Clarke. Personally sighted.

dragonfly46 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:45:18

I just wonder how long they expect to stay after all this money has been spent.

Blinko Thu 29-Apr-21 08:50:41

M0nica

I think the flat at No 10 should be treated like an army quarter. Marched in with an inventory check, marched out in the same way at the end of the tenancy.

The government department in charge of maintaining government buildings should paint it in neutral colours every 5 years, after that the incumbent can do what he/she likes, but it all has to be returned to standard neutral colours when it is vacated.

That would clip the wings of the current lady incumbent. She could learn the skills of any forces spouse of turning a bog standard quarter into an attractive personal home by just unpacking the box or so of home ffects that go everywhere with you.

I'd go further and get all these MPs claiming for second homes as they 'have to work in London' (ever come across Zoom?) marched into - and later out of - a flat furnished to a reasonable standard, for the length of their standing as an MP. No need then for massive claims for second homes and their various 'essential' accoutrements.

Duck houses, anyone?

Kate54 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:53:02

Politics aside, what I find most extraordinary about this whole sorry affair is that two highly-educated people from wealthy families, both with high earning potential, can’t scrape together enough cash to buy a couple of sofas and a few tins of paint. Bear in mind, they already get a £30,000 allowance. That would turn my modest abode into a palace, John Lewis or no John Lewis. He is hopeless with money. She must be, too. Advertising the fact when you are Prime Minister is just stupid.

sodapop Thu 29-Apr-21 08:55:47

I saw some pictures of the new interior, not sure if it was the real thing or just an impression. The sofa material was the same as the hideous wall paper, it all looked very garish to me. I have to say I'm not a fan of lots of patterns in my decor but each to his own.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:56:33

What I also find extraordinary is that whilst sneering at those with John Lewis taste they are still willing to fleece those with John Lewis taste to buy a flat full of what looks like Recycled furniture.

Sara1954 Thu 29-Apr-21 08:58:03

I like the vintage colourful look, Carries look is a bit too busy for me, but I like it.
As to who should finance it, they should, as they would have to if they lived anywhere else, an allowance towards it is acceptable as they entertain there, if they want to spend a load of their own money, that’s up to them.
But to be fair, we all want to redecorate a new home, not sure if I’d want to spend too much if my tenancy was so insecure.

MaizieD Thu 29-Apr-21 09:00:48

sodapop

I saw some pictures of the new interior, not sure if it was the real thing or just an impression. The sofa material was the same as the hideous wall paper, it all looked very garish to me. I have to say I'm not a fan of lots of patterns in my decor but each to his own.

That wasn't the new interior. It was, in fact, the interior of the designer's house, but I think the sofa was photoshopped as hers is quite different.
Have a look at the link I posted earlier.

Loislovesstewie Thu 29-Apr-21 09:02:02

I'd go further and buy a cheap hotel(cheap for London that is) and tell them all that if they don't live within computing distance then they can stay overnight at the hotel. I wonder how many would want to be MPs without the generous allowances.

eazybee Thu 29-Apr-21 09:02:24

Anyone who thinks it is all right to hang wallpaper apparently priced at £850 a roll in a flat when one inhabitant is an infant and another one someone who spills red wine on new sofas, is a fool.
The wall to wall John Lewis quip was first used against the Duchess of Cambridge by some of her husband's erstwhile friends.

Urmstongran Thu 29-Apr-21 09:06:43

And why pay £200k to look 'recycled' when you can do the real thing for a song? I thought she was meant to be an environmentalist. Nothing spells environmental concerns so much as conspicuous consumption..?

Great comment MaizieD. She obviously doesn’t put her money where her mouth is.

I suppose the best one could say is that she is supporting a UK designer. But the style is so eclectic most of us couldn’t live in it (I think it would induce a migraine in me!).

Fair enough if they had the money to do it up (and then restore it to shipshape for the next incumbent or leave a wedge of money under the teapot for it to be done after they high tail it - next month? In 5 years? Who knows). But the sad fact is, she, like me seems to have champagne tastes and lager money. Unlike her however, I’ve learnt to live within my budget... fortunately an occasional trip to John Lewis is affordable for us!

MaizieD Thu 29-Apr-21 09:09:13

If they want to spend a load of their own money, that’s up to them

Oh dear, Sara1954. Has the point of all the fuss completely passed you by?

They didn't want to spend a load of their money. They wanted a tory donor to pay it. They wanted it free, like their holiday in Mustique. Bozo only paid up when he realised he was going to get caught.

It is commonly said that the refurb cost £200,000. We now know that £88,000 has been accounted for, but who paid the other £112,000?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:12:19

MaizieD

^As far as I am aware there have been no actual photographs released of the new interior or No.11 so I am unable to comment on whether I like it or not. (I am curious though)^

Have a look at the link I posted, GG13. That might give you some idea.

I see what you mean about The Recycled Look, WwMk2, but it somehow just manages to miss looking attractive.

And why pay £200k to look 'recycled' when you can do the real thing for a song? I thought she was meant to be an environmentalist. Nothing spells environmental concerns so much as conspicuous consumption..?

I am aware of the designers style.

No images of the No.11 flat have been released, I will my reserve my judgement until then.

Sago Thu 29-Apr-21 09:16:39

I agree that John Lewis is pedestrian.
I also agree that Ms Symonds taste is questionable!
The best interiors evolve over time, going out and buying everything to match and painting the walls accordingly always looks contrived.
I love to see an interior that reflects someone’s journey through life.
It doesn’t have to coordinate it needs to be things that matter and spark some joy.

hazel93 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:36:59

I could not give a fig re. their taste, not the point is it ?

nanna8 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:37:15

Shouldn’t they be concentrating on running the country instead of this sort of garbage?

Aveline Thu 29-Apr-21 09:41:01

I gather that in America the incoming 'First Lady' redecorates the White House. Who pays for that? I hate to think how it might have been 'Trumped up'.

Grammaretto Thu 29-Apr-21 09:44:16

I agree with those who suggest Ms Symonds' taste in men is awful.
As for good old Jonelle:
I worked for them. It was my first Saturday job back in the 1960s and I was thrilled to be in a Partnership. It seemed forward looking in its ethos but unfortunately very middle aged/middle class in its merchandise.

It was a school outfitter. Nuff said. But they are usually savvy about their clientele and remain trusted if not knowingly undersold

I was alarmed when they lost haberdashery and fabrics at the Edinburgh store in favour of a more "modern image" But eventually they saw sense and sacked that chairman and now have wool and fabric again.

Maybe it's just that CS doesn't want to feel middle aged? There could even be Life after Boris?

Blossoming Thu 29-Apr-21 09:49:04

Carrie Antoinette is a frightful snob who likes to sneer at the common people. There is nothing wrong with John Lewis.

JenniferEccles Thu 29-Apr-21 09:49:24

I do like John Lewis and have bought quite a lot from them over the years. I’ve found the customer service to be very good as well as the after sales service which is not always the case.

However it is just a department store with a huge range of styles and tastes, some of which I like, some I don’t, just like any other large store.

Anyway who on earth cares about what Carrie Symons thinks?

Katie59 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:51:12

Every woman has her own style, but it you are living in a service flat, which is effectively what it is, you make compromises. If and when they get a place of their own she can furnish it according to her style and budget, I always think JL is middle of the road and reasonable quality.
BJ is not exactly a pauper and adapting interior decor for his partner should not have been beyond his means - so why the fuss, it can’t have been that horrible. Or was Carrie just given Carte Blanche.

Jane43 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:01:24

Our nearest John Lewis was 35 miles away but now it’s closed down so I’ve never shopped there except when we bought a computer on line for our granddaughter’s 18th birthday because there was an extra year’s guarantee. I used to meet a friend in Milton Keynes occasionally and we would walk around the John Lewis there, I bought some shampoo that I couldn’t get locally but that's the sum total of my John Lewis experience. It seemed very pleasant if a little on the expensive side.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:05:20

JenniferEccles

I do like John Lewis and have bought quite a lot from them over the years. I’ve found the customer service to be very good as well as the after sales service which is not always the case.

However it is just a department store with a huge range of styles and tastes, some of which I like, some I don’t, just like any other large store.

Anyway who on earth cares about what Carrie Symons thinks?

No one.

But I care that as a result of the vast amount of money the refurbishment cost the Prime Minister has apparently broken the ministerial code which when things are normal it would mean a resignation.

Nothing is normal though is it?n

EkwaNimitee Thu 29-Apr-21 10:06:24

Another who agrees with MOnica. Though I’m not planning to move, my new abode has been decorated and carpeted in what some would call bland. It will be enlivened and personalised by soft furnishings and my personal possessions. I’m an army daughter so I know it can be done. It’s a scandalous waste of money and resources to spend so much on a temporary residence. And yes, I too thought she was supposed to be an environmentalist.
The next person already hoping to be the next resident must be eyeing it up with horror, the decor looks to be a rather acquired taste if the photos I’ve seen are correct.