Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can I opt out of contributing to the new royal yacht and put my bit into the NHS please

(111 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 11:24:05

This could not come at a worse time imo

Grantanow Mon 21-Feb-22 15:14:45

Disgraceful waste of money which could be put to better uses. And don't forget the outrageous cost of maintaining and operating it. I was told by a guide on Britannia now at Leith that whenever any member of the royal family was on board they flew two consultant surgeons out in case of need and that the Admiral in charge had to change his uniform several times a day depending on the on board event. It almost makes me a Republican till I remember we might have a superannuated politician for President like Mrs Thatcher or (even worse) BJ.

Mamardoit Mon 21-Feb-22 12:49:03

Yes but those who came later didn't know what the deleted post was.

MaizieD Mon 21-Feb-22 12:03:16

Mamardoit

Kim19

Another resurrection!

It's half term. It's wet and windy out. Someone with too much time on their hands.

It was a spam 'advert' for yacht hiring. I reported it as spam. It was removed. (Same as the other 'Royal Yacht' thread that reappeared)

Never dreamt that people would then carry on a 9 month old thread shock

Dickens Mon 21-Feb-22 10:31:53

I don't think it's intended to be a 'luxury yacht' more a vessel to host trade fairs, summits, etc.

My gut feeling is that trade negotiations are based on what we have to offer a would-be trading partner, and what they want from us - like visa-free travel for some of their citizens. Do we need a ship-with-bunting to conduct these kinds of negotiations? Would it really influence the decisions which are, at heart, 'what's-in-it-for-us'... on both sides?

Johnson is full of self-assured hubris... water cannons, never used and sold for a fraction of their cost; the garden-bridge..

We were a great maritime nation - but is our flag still respected around the world as it once was?

In 2017, Boris Johnson thought there would be "overwhelming support" for a new yacht if private backing could be found. Let the enthusiastic very, very wealthy elite, who believe we can once again be this leading maritime nation, put their money into the project. I don't believe it should come out of the public purse. If it's successful, maybe the nation can then pay for its running and upkeep costs... if we are going to benefit from it.

Mamardoit Mon 21-Feb-22 10:01:13

Kim19

Another resurrection!

It's half term. It's wet and windy out. Someone with too much time on their hands.

Freya5 Mon 21-Feb-22 09:30:30

Any paper will print headline grabbing rumours, as long as it sells their copies. Mind you the cost of the Telegraph on a daily basis is beyond lots of peoples pockets, I would think. Certainly mine.

Kim19 Mon 21-Feb-22 09:22:50

Another resurrection!

MaizieD Mon 21-Feb-22 09:22:39

Reported

Sally08021 Mon 21-Feb-22 09:17:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

GillT57 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:57:17

This fantasy project is nothing to do with the BBC, they are not anti British. Crikey there must be something in the water today.

Has GB News reported anything on this yet? Surely Andrew Neil must have inside info? Can any of the fans let us know?

Lin52 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:52:28

Whitewavemark2

New royal yacht named after Prince Philip to be 'commissioned within weeks', costing as much as £200m

Sky.

Believe anything from Sky, definitely not. Will wait for any official announcement, sick of the media reporting nothing concrete, just ifs buts and maybes. Trying to whip up controversy where there is non, yet. Personally, this is a no go for me, unless beeb pay for it, but they are anti anything British , so can’t see that happening, they won’t even let 95 year olds have a free TV licence, with their 3 million profit.

MaizieD Mon 21-Jun-21 12:40:46

GillT57

I thought he spent his hours of spare time making buses out of bits of balsa wood?

Wasn't it cardboard boxes?

Anyway, it's not a 'Royal' yacht, the royals don't want it. It's being reinvented as a mobile trade exhibition centre, I believe.

But we all know it's just a free cruise ship for Mr & Mrs Johnson...

GillT57 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:35:56

I thought he spent his hours of spare time making buses out of bits of balsa wood?

theworriedwell Mon 21-Jun-21 11:32:21

Sarnia

News this morning that Boris has been busy designing the new Royal Yacht. I suppose it fills the time when there is not much else to do. It has been dismissed by a leading naval architect as looking like a '1950's fishing trawler'. Surely there are better ways to spend several million.

I thought he was working 24/7 on Covid? Has he found an extra hour in the day? Can we all have one?

Sarnia Mon 21-Jun-21 11:23:30

News this morning that Boris has been busy designing the new Royal Yacht. I suppose it fills the time when there is not much else to do. It has been dismissed by a leading naval architect as looking like a '1950's fishing trawler'. Surely there are better ways to spend several million.

Grany Thu 13-May-21 16:17:03

If you would prefer the plans to commission a royal yacht spent on something better like the NHS for example

You can if you want sign the petition above

Thank you.

Grany Thu 13-May-21 09:51:57

Cancel plans to commission a new Royal Yacht

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584822

Lucca Thu 06-May-21 12:16:59

nanna8

Oh get rid of them all, they just perpetuate that dreadful caste system, I mean class. Have a revolution , shoot them, whatever...

Who said anything like that ? ( and yes I do get irony ta)It just seems like a poor decision
in the current financial climate (is that a thing ?,)

Alegrias1 Thu 06-May-21 11:42:35

To be fair, it seems the RF don't want one. Its the Tories who are getting all excited about boats of all kinds this week.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 11:38:04

I doubt they even give them a second thought tbh. Different world for them.

vegansrock Thu 06-May-21 06:47:22

It’s definitely 2 fingers up to the hot polloi who are struggling.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 04:34:18

I suppose I’d better explain, irony being a bit difficult here, I did not mean the above literally!

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 04:32:26

Oh get rid of them all, they just perpetuate that dreadful caste system, I mean class. Have a revolution , shoot them, whatever...

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 21:26:13

....a fancy boat..... grin

Sorry, it just amused me.

Alegrias1 Wed 05-May-21 21:22:46

Foreign trade is about £1,000 billion a year currently. So 3 billion over 4 years is about 0.08% of our international trade.

We could probably manage without a fancy boat.