Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queens speech

(243 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-May-21 13:05:55

No bill for an overhaul of the social services as Hancock had promised.

Symonds has managed to get an animal sentience pledge in the bill I see.

Judicial review - Johnson hates to be told that he has broken the law, so he is going to change the ability of the judiciary to hold the government to account. The rule of law is being weakened.

Police bill- 10 years if you protest with noise. So silent protest only in future. I hope there is a massive silent protest against this bill. This is something that I would protest about.

This government likes taking our freedom away doesn’t it?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-May-21 18:00:58

If IDs are made mandatory when voting, then everyone should receive a free one.

Urmstongran Tue 11-May-21 18:06:11

Anniebach

Why would voter ID make life difficult for poorer people ?

I don’t get it either Anniebach. ?

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 18:06:50

Really, MaizieD you were advocating for only politically aware folks to be able to vote a few days ago?

You've not been following me very closely, then. I was being deliberately provocative.

And how often has your absurd scenario been enacted?

How many people would have to go to all that bother to seriously affect a result?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-May-21 18:08:17

Totally agree Whitewavemark2 a form of ID should be provided free for those who haven’t got passport or photo driving licence.

I have just googled what Countries need proof of ID to vote, interesting...

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 18:09:41

Mamardoit

I don't see the fuss about voters needing to show some form of ID. Didn't Blair want to bring in ID cards? I had no objection to that either.

Any adult who doesn't have a passport or driving licence needs to be provided with an ID card free of charge. What's the problem. We all managed to get given a covid vaccine card it shouldn't be too difficult.

Why do we need voter ID?

There has been no evidence of in-person voter fraud (I'll write it in all capitals if you like.)

Why would you go to all that bother to guard against something that doesn't happen?

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 18:11:03

GrannyGravy13

Totally agree Whitewavemark2 a form of ID should be provided free for those who haven’t got passport or photo driving licence.

I have just googled what Countries need proof of ID to vote, interesting...

TBH B*gger what other countries do.

Why do we need it?

Lucca Tue 11-May-21 18:11:44

Caught tale end of interview with Rees Mogg who as far as I could hear didn’t have any justification for voter ID. However I am far more concerned about the silent protest only thing and the lack of social care policy.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 18:12:52

Can anyone remember what Johnson said at one time about what he’d do if ID cards were introduced?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-May-21 18:14:26

I just cannot understand why when we need proof of identity to do /pick up most things these days, people are against ID for folks to vote?

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 18:15:04

‘Ask to see my ID card and I’ll eat it’.....Boris Johnson

Mamardoit Tue 11-May-21 18:19:41

MaizieD

Mamardoit

I don't see the fuss about voters needing to show some form of ID. Didn't Blair want to bring in ID cards? I had no objection to that either.

Any adult who doesn't have a passport or driving licence needs to be provided with an ID card free of charge. What's the problem. We all managed to get given a covid vaccine card it shouldn't be too difficult.

Why do we need voter ID?

There has been no evidence of in-person voter fraud (I'll write it in all capitals if you like.)

Why would you go to all that bother to guard against something that doesn't happen?

You can write it in blood, liquid gold or anything you bloody choose.

We are all entitled to give our opinion on a public forum.

Lucca Tue 11-May-21 18:21:54

“ You can write it in blood, liquid gold or anything you bloody choose.

We are all entitled to give our opinion on a public forum.”

Wow ! What is that all about ?!

Chestnut Tue 11-May-21 18:22:55

Wasn't there a problem with students voting at the home address and also at their university address some time ago. I believe some Labour activists were even encouraging it. If that is happening then it should be stopped.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 18:26:08

So what happens about postal votes and ID?

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 18:30:03

Chestnut

Wasn't there a problem with students voting at the home address and also at their university address some time ago. I believe some Labour activists were even encouraging it. If that is happening then it should be stopped.

And how is voter ID going to stop that? (if it even happens)

Students can register to vote at both their home and college addresses.

They are allowed to vote in both places for local elections.

They only allowed to vote in one place in a General Election.

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/students

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 18:31:30

Lucca

“ You can write it in blood, liquid gold or anything you bloody choose.

We are all entitled to give our opinion on a public forum.”

Wow ! What is that all about ?!

Someone doesn't like me shouting.

Urmstongran Tue 11-May-21 18:33:28

I’m glad about repealing the fixed term Parliament Act. It forced us to unduly suffer the zombie Parliament.

It became a mechanism to thwart the democratic will of 17.4 million people.

Urmstongran Tue 11-May-21 18:35:39

Chestnut

There was Chestnut. Well remembered!

Mamardoit Tue 11-May-21 18:36:46

MayBee70

They check your signature don't they? Well they could if they suspected any wrong doing.

MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 18:45:30

But what will happen about postal votes when photo I’d is required?

Urmstongran Tue 11-May-21 18:51:07

That’s for them to work out MayBee. Don’t tie yourself in knots over it in the meantime. Chill your beans.

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 19:30:29

Urmstongran

I’m glad about repealing the fixed term Parliament Act. It forced us to unduly suffer the zombie Parliament.

It became a mechanism to thwart the democratic will of 17.4 million people.

Sorry?

GE 2015,
GE 2017
GE2019

What on earth are you talking about. Fixed term was a farce.

As for all that utter nonsense about thwarting the democratic will of 17.4 million people. We are not yet ruled by 'the will of the people'. It is for Parliament to make the ultimate decisions.

But then, you seem to have fascist tendencies so no doubt you're perfectly happy with the trashing of Parliamentary democracy.

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 19:32:35

Mamardoit

MayBee70

They check your signature don't they? Well they could if they suspected any wrong doing.

But anyone could forge your signature...

No-one is answering my question

Why do we need voter ID when there is no evidence of in-person voter fraud?

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 19:33:15

Urmstongran

Chestnut

There was Chestnut. Well remembered!

Poof that it happened?

Jaxjacky Tue 11-May-21 19:39:44

Just because no one has been prosecuted for fraudulent voting may just mean they haven’t been caught, yet.