Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC ánd Prince Willuam

(132 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 21-May-21 06:07:16

I am disgusted at the way the BBC have behaved. Prince William was so upset and hurt on her behalf and at her treatment by them. My heart goes out to him, he has behaved with such integrity. Thank goodness he has Kate and his children. Diana would be so proud of him. Who else have they given this treatment too?

Anniebach Fri 21-May-21 09:15:24

William was at Eaton when Diana gave the interview, what was
said to him by fellow school boys

Gannygangan Fri 21-May-21 09:15:41

Alegrias1

Oh I see. Yes, quite right. Harry's BBC comment didn't mention anything about relationships.

But last night, on Apple TV, the mental health documentary was aired which is where he goes into quite a lot of detail about his mother's death.

JaneJudge Fri 21-May-21 09:16:00

Or watch the video I've linked to. It's encouraging people to be more honest about their own mental health.

Gannygangan Fri 21-May-21 09:17:12

Alegrias1

PS - the Oprah interview you're all dredging up as evidence of Harry's self centeredness was recorded in April, long before the BBC investigation was made public.

You're being played, folks, and not by Harry.

Nobody's being played.

The interview aired last night for the first time on Apple TV!

Bad timing I guess.

Casdon Fri 21-May-21 09:17:25

Nobody has yet mentioned Earl Spencer, although he was the one who was deceived by Martin Bashir. On the news he directly linked Diana’s death to the interview, which must be a source of huge personal guilt for him too - he clearly loved Diana and understood her vulnerabilities, maybe better than any of the royals.

Rosie51 Fri 21-May-21 09:17:55

Alegrias1 So my reference to Saint William is intended to shame those GNers who can't see that both of Diana's children were damaged by her treatment at the hands of the press

Ah I see! You shame one lot of people by being nasty about someone innocent in the matter. Thanks, I didn't realise that was the way to be fair and reasonable........

winterwhite Fri 21-May-21 09:18:15

Certainly the deceit and the bank statements were despicable, and the reporter should have been dismissed as soon as it came`to light.

But IMO Diana was ready to tell her story to somebody. She did not shrink from publicity and if it hadn't been this it would have been something else sooner or later. So I think it's stretching a point to claim that this interview hastened the divorce and led to her death.

Also IMO the RF may be finding that blaming a third party to this extent helps to heal their own rifts. Fair enough if so.

Smileless2012 Fri 21-May-21 09:19:04

William's statement was powerful and moving. I don't know why Harry had to mention the fact that their mother was in a relationship with someone "who wasn't white" when she was "chased to her death".

It's totally irrelevant and IMO wouldn't have been mentioned by him if not for the fact that his wife is mixed race. The poor woman would have been hounded regardless of the colour of any man she was having a relationship with.

EllanVannin Fri 21-May-21 09:20:30

Pre-1994 before H's death, he would never watch BBC on principle because he said it was a " leftie " channel run by rogues. He was right all those years ago.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 09:20:35

Gannygangan

*Alegrias1 *

Oh I see. Yes, quite right. Harry's BBC comment didn't mention anything about relationships.

But last night, on Apple TV, the mental health documentary was aired which is where he goes into quite a lot of detail about his mother's death.

Yes indeed. The mental health documentary series where he is joined by several celebrities talking about mental health. Shall we have a go at Glenn Close now? No, didn't think so.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 09:22:50

Smileless2012

William's statement was powerful and moving. I don't know why Harry had to mention the fact that their mother was in a relationship with someone "who wasn't white" when she was "chased to her death".

It's totally irrelevant and IMO wouldn't have been mentioned by him if not for the fact that his wife is mixed race. The poor woman would have been hounded regardless of the colour of any man she was having a relationship with.

I don't know why Harry had to mention the fact that their mother was in a relationship with someone "who wasn't white" when she was "chased to her death".

He didn't. You're making stuff up. Read the statement.

(Again. I might apply to be in H's press office.)

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 09:24:20

Rosie51

Alegrias1 So my reference to Saint William is intended to shame those GNers who can't see that both of Diana's children were damaged by her treatment at the hands of the press

Ah I see! You shame one lot of people by being nasty about someone innocent in the matter. Thanks, I didn't realise that was the way to be fair and reasonable........

Where are the rules about being fair and reasonable? Not seen much of that on GN Royal threads.

Nasty - we're not 3 years old hmm.

Anniebach Fri 21-May-21 09:25:17

Thank you Gannygangan so Harry was comparing Diana and Dodi Fayed with Megan and himself .

trisher Fri 21-May-21 09:26:37

I wonder how many people watched the interview? I didn't. This obsession with the RF is fed by the media but if no one gave a fig about what they got up to it would never happen. The media provides what the public wants and they use underhand and sometimes even illegal methods to get the information they need. They tap phones, they go through bins, they fake evidence, they 've done it with other people why should the RF be different?
As for the Saint William remark-love it! Alegrias1 thanks
I now have a picture of Harry in a red devil's costume with William wearing a white nightie, wings and a halo

Polarbear2 Fri 21-May-21 09:28:26

Alegrias1 ???. Agree with all you’ve said above. She still told her truth didn’t she? The RF are still to blame for how she was treated. (And I didn’t particularly warm to her. Thought she was raised up too far by a lot of people.

Smileless2012 Fri 21-May-21 09:29:36

I am not "making stuff up" Alegriasangry. I am referring to the quote in Gannygangan's post @ 9.10 and the link she provided in which Harry said this.

Rather than constantly having a go a posters who give their opinion on what Harry says focus your outrage on the fact that he says it in the first place.

Yes, Annie that is what he appears to be doing isn't it.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 09:31:51

trisher, Polarbear2 ?

I never had much time for Diana while she was alive, I thought she was a silly girl, but as we learn more about the background I have a more rounded view, I think.

I'm certainly not holding grudges 25 years on, as some appear to be.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 09:34:30

Smileless2012

I am not "making stuff up" Alegriasangry. I am referring to the quote in Gannygangan's post @ 9.10 and the link she provided in which Harry said this.

Rather than constantly having a go a posters who give their opinion on what Harry says focus your outrage on the fact that he says it in the first place.

Yes, Annie that is what he appears to be doing isn't it.

It wasn't in his statement. By implying it was, by linking William's statement to this comment, you are feeding the myth that Harry only ever talks about Harry and his own wife, even in statements about his mother's treatment at the hands of the press.

So, either you were doing that on purpose, or you hadn't taken time to find out what Harry's statement really said.

QED.

Anniebach Fri 21-May-21 09:37:25

Polarbear2 yes she told her truth, there is the truth and her truth is there not.

Lin52 Fri 21-May-21 09:41:05

Alegrias1

Yes, it was necessary. The way people refer to Harry and Meghan on here is despicable. And William and Catherine are lauded as paragons of everything that should be praised in Royals. So my reference to Saint William is intended to shame those GNers who can't see that both of Diana's children were damaged by her treatment at the hands of the press and that the secular sanctification of one of those brothers, and the demonisation of the other, is grossly unfair.

I feel for them both and the sooner we get rid of this outdated worship of the "right kind" of royal, the better.

Easier just to say Saint William.

I think all on here appreciate what it did to both those boys. William has proven his worth to the British people, has remained dignified through all the victim hood of his baby brother, put yourself in his shoes. How would you react if a sibling of yours demeaned and lambasted your family, in public, when H&M said they left the UK for privacy, ha ha, well they’ve done that well haven’t they. William has no recourse to answering back , but hopefully and carefully, has done in private. Though I guess Harry will spill that sooner or later.

Iam64 Fri 21-May-21 09:45:01

Harry’s statement is printed above.

His comment about his mother’s death at a time when she was in a relationship with Dodi Fayed was made in the Apple TV interview about mental health. I’ve read a summary of that interview. I’ll be interested to see if the attacks on his personality seen so often on here continue.

Smileless2012 Fri 21-May-21 09:45:33

As I've posted Alegrias focus any anger you have on the person whose making these ridiculous statements rather than those who want to comment on them.

There is no myth; Harry only ever talks about himself. He's been doing it consistently for months.

You don't appear to have a problem with Harry saying his mother was "chased to her death" because she was seeing someone who wasn't white, therefore implying it was racially motivated, which is the constant cry we hear when it comes to any criticism of his wife, who is criticised because of her behaviour, not because of the colour of her skin.

Rosie51 Fri 21-May-21 09:46:12

Alegrias1

Rosie51

Where are the rules about being fair and reasonable? Not seen much of that on GN Royal threads.

Nasty - we're not 3 years old hmm.

The use of 'Saint William' is a put down to William, hence why trisher loved it. Not sure what you mean by not being 3 years old? In any case I don't think you justify being against unfairness by being unfair, but then that's my logic.

Kamiso Fri 21-May-21 09:48:59

We are staying in an Airbnb and watched newsnight for the first time in ages (patchy internet but fancy tv).

It was suggested that a number of Bashir’s “scoops” need to be investigated. It seemed to be common knowledge that he got what he wanted by fair means or foul. Anyone trying to advise the BBC authorities would be sidelined or sacked.

Sorry you feel the need to shame gransnet members who form a different opinion to you Alegrias1. Now that seems childish in the extreme! I didn’t feel shamed in the least just concerned at the level of anger you live with. Very bad for your health I would think.

William came across as deeply sincere and equally heartbroken, but waited for the official report to be made public. He words were heartfelt and very thoughtful so give strength to whatever is decided about the future, or lack of future, for the BBC and senior management, who appear to have been running a culture of cover ups and bullying.

Smileless2012 Fri 21-May-21 09:49:27

But what Dodi Fayed's ethnicity have to do with it? Why did he mention it and would he have done so if his wife wasn't mixed race? I very much doubt it.