Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yay‼️ GB News Channel about to launch ...

(476 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 26-May-21 22:33:19

GB News will attempt to shake up the broadcasting landscape when the news network launches its TV channel in early June.

The news service, spearheaded by veteran broadcaster Andrew Neil, has announced plans to go live on Sunday June 13.

In a tweet, the channel said it would launch at 8pm with a special programme, 'Welcome to GB News'.

I can’t wait!
????

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 13:47:05

These so-called "ignored" people have hardly been ignored by the right wing press

Mamardoit Mon 14-Jun-21 14:13:02

Maybe Ed Davey could get himself interviewed. We haven't heard from him for a while. Is he the sort of 'ignored' person you mean varian?

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 14:18:53

The reason Ed Davey is ignored by the right wing press is the same reason that they ignore all non-Tory or non-UKIP politicians unless they are involved in some sort of scandal.

Ed Davey , the Leader of the Liberal Democrats, was a very successful Minister for Energy and Climate Change. He is happily married and has two children, one of whom is seriously disabled. He was awarded a bravery medal for rescuing a woman from the path of an oncoming train. He is decent and honourable, so that's why he is ignored by the right wing media.

Mamardoit Mon 14-Jun-21 14:22:44

I know all that I've looked him up. He was interviewed on BBC breakfast just after be became leader. he was so proud of 'his time in government'.......That's all I needed to hear from him.

vegansrock Mon 14-Jun-21 14:25:56

I think the 48% who didn’t want Brexit are ignored aren’t they?

Mamardoit Mon 14-Jun-21 14:37:57

Everyone had a vote in 2016. Some cba to vote so they can't have been ignored surely. We had two GE and an EU vote since then and remain parties didn't get elected. How many more votes would you like.

Also the then LibDem leader openly said she would take no notice of anything other than a remain vote.

Remain voters have not been ignored.

By the way you should be interested In what happens at EM airport. It is massively important for air freight and distribution. It's not just where the 'ignored' catch their holiday flights.

Alegrias1 Mon 14-Jun-21 14:41:15

Interesting diversion. But why do right wingers feel so ignored that they think they need their own TV station? Given that they keep winning all these elections?

Mamardoit Mon 14-Jun-21 15:03:38

It's not just right wingers is it. It's anyone not in the SE of England.

I'm just cheesed off with the BBC. I can't watch breakfast news any longer. Sky now have Kay Burley back and I can't stand Beth Rigby or Peston. I will give GBN a go.

vegansrock Mon 14-Jun-21 15:20:42

Remain voters certainly have been ignored, we’d have preferred a softer Brexit if we had to have one, as promised in all the leave literature, instead we got a half baked deal as a sop to the non ignored UKIP supporters, which is already causing massive problems. It didn’t have to be all or nothing. I wouldn’t tune into a tv station to see a big story about ignored airports, or even non ignored airports, important to freight or not, not the most riveting tv imho. But whatever floats your boat or flies your plane.

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 16:01:42

This "GB News" channel is based in London. So nothing to do with the SE of England or the "metroploitan elite"

Petera Mon 14-Jun-21 17:15:43

vegansrock

Remain voters certainly have been ignored, we’d have preferred a softer Brexit if we had to have one, as promised in all the leave literature, instead we got a half baked deal as a sop to the non ignored UKIP supporters, which is already causing massive problems. It didn’t have to be all or nothing. I wouldn’t tune into a tv station to see a big story about ignored airports, or even non ignored airports, important to freight or not, not the most riveting tv imho. But whatever floats your boat or flies your plane.

They even teach this process in A-level politics - the vote for the Welsh Assembly was 50.3 to 49.7 and the overwhelming priority at the time was to try to ensure that, as far as was possible, then entire Welsh population felt that their concerns were addressed.

The overwhelming priority of the Brexiters was to run around shouting "You lost, get over it".

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 19:15:32

The tragic thing is (and I hope that they teach this in A level politics) that the polls consistently showed a lead for Remain except on the actual day of the vote when, thanks to a huge surge in pro-leave messages on social media, now shown to have originated in Russia, the margin shifted just enough to cause brexit.

whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/poll-of-polls/

Polarbear2 Mon 14-Jun-21 19:16:09

Gather it’s been christened GBeebies. ?????. Harsh.

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 19:32:07

Noe harsh - well deserved

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Jun-21 20:49:53

I've just watched it again, the Andrew Neil flagship part
It's absolutely shite

Galaxy Mon 14-Jun-21 21:31:08

Why is the production so weird, it looks odd. And the guests they are wheeling out are mostly regulars on mainstream TV, so it doesn't feel particularly innovative.

Dinahmo Mon 14-Jun-21 22:37:11

I turned over to GBN thinking I'd catch Andrew Neil but was an hour too late so caught the Dan Wooten segment. I lasted abut 7 minutes with my OH shouting at the tv. I haven't heard so much right wing drivel in a long time.

Chestnut Mon 14-Jun-21 23:18:45

I haven't heard so much right wing drivel in a long time.
Any particular right wing drivel or just everything they say?

PippaZ Mon 14-Jun-21 23:45:12

Just had a look. Oh my, where are they finding these weirdos?

Mamie Tue 15-Jun-21 04:39:37

The best comment I saw was "Scorchio". ???

GrannyRose15 Tue 15-Jun-21 04:58:00

JessK

Will definitely be worth tuning into. Hopefully it will be less biased than the BBC

Surely it can't be more biased? wink

PippaZ Tue 15-Jun-21 07:48:56

I wonder what others actually believe "biased" means? It now seems, that for some, presenting only one extreme side of an argument - as long as it agrees with their point of view - constitutes "unbiased". 1984 here we come.

Mamardoit Tue 15-Jun-21 08:16:54

Alegrias1

Interesting diversion. But why do right wingers feel so ignored that they think they need their own TV station? Given that they keep winning all these elections?

Another little diversion for you I have never voted tory and never will. I am an old Labour voter who could weep at what they have become.

My only option is now spoil the ballot or vote green.

I make sure I'm well informed and of course that will mean I keep an eye on all news, current affairs etc. We have not been served well by Aunty Beeb, ITV or Sky.

Alegrias1 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:29:43

I don't disagree about the traditional news outlets.

But GB News is right wing, they position themselves as such. And the bit I saw had Andrew Neil saying they were there to be the place for people whose voices were being ignored.

It seems to me that people with extreme views stomp their little feet when a proper balanced view is given. As I think Fanny said upthread, critical thought is required. I can watch Ch4 and understand that some of their coverage has an agenda. I can watch BBC and see that they are supportive of a status quo and lack common sense sometimes in their aim for "balance". I can watch GBNews and see that it's appealing to people who think they are being ignored but have apparently got everything they voted for in the last few years.

So when people who are getting what they want complain about being ignored, that worries me. It means that they don't want to hear any other view and think they are the victims when they're not.

PippaZ Tue 15-Jun-21 08:41:58

Nicely balanced and perceptive post Alegrias1 [Tue 15-Jun-21 08:29:43]