Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Irish Question revisited

(255 Posts)
varian Wed 09-Jun-21 19:39:28

Brexit minister accuses EU of 'legal purism' over NI Protocol

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57378954

Presumable "legal purism" means keeping to your word and not reneging on a legal agreement you recently negotiated and signed.

The fact is that it was always going to be impossible to abide by the Good Friday Agreement and not have a border on the island of Ireland, whilst the Republic of Ireland remained in the EU but the UK left the EU and the Single Market, without having a border somewhere and if that border is not on the island of Ireland it has to be in the Irish Sea.

Many of us foresaw problems in NI because of Brexit years ago. Why could the Vote Leave Tory Government and the DUP not see what was blindingly obvious to us?

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1242729-The-Irish-question?pg=22

nadateturbe Fri 18-Jun-21 15:08:28

Alioop is correct. The rights of all groups are important. But right now we need to concentrate on what takes priority. SF say that health, housing etc take priority but only if they have the Irish legislation implemented. So, what is their priority?
As I have said I am not a great supporter of DUP but I don't think the quote about Poots is funny.

Alioop Fri 18-Jun-21 18:09:25

SF won't sit in Westminster, but ran to Brandon Lewis when they wanted the Irish language implemented and if he didn't they would of brought down Stormont. Who's blackmailing Westminster now confused

nadateturbe Fri 18-Jun-21 20:10:33

Sorry I should have said Irish Language legislation.
Yes SF won't nominate a DFM if the legislation isn't implemented. The system of government really is unworkable.

varian Tue 17-May-22 21:12:47

As predicted Johnson looks about to renege on an jnternational treaty - his very own "oven ready " brexit deal which won him 43% of the votes at the last election and gave him his huge 80 seat majority in the HoC.