Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock….

(410 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:47:08

Anyone watching this now? He really does talk the talk doesn’t he. Has just stated that no health worker has died due to lack of PPE. At least Sarah Owen is now giving him a good grilling.

theworriedwell Wed 30-Jun-21 09:32:35

trisher

If you can forget how many children you have forgetting what actually happened is just a minor thing.

That made me laugh. When I was in hospital just after my fourth child was born someone asked how many I had. Well I had 4, one was an adult and away at uni so before the birth I had 3 but 2 at home, now I had 4. So my reply was, "2, 3 no 4." Caused great hilarity on the ward.

Baby brain, hormones or the GA I had for the EMCS?

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:27:27

I understand that the Hancock resignation covered up the news that Gove had been found guilty of giving contracts to cronies (or something like that). One always has to think with this government when something big hits the headlines ‘what is it burying’…..

Greta Tue 29-Jun-21 13:02:56

But the PM didn't sack Dominic Cummings either, did he? I think he (the PM) wants to keep them all close to his chest just in case they spill some beans. Or is that too cynical of me?

Sparklefizz Tue 29-Jun-21 12:55:49

Well, to be fair (ducking below parapet), I shouldn't think any PM would want the Health Minister to leave in the middle of a pandemic when continuity is needed with the vax programme.

JaneJudge Tue 29-Jun-21 12:53:17

I heard Boris on telly and he said, on Friday it er er er stood as tat and on Saturday er er um it was a different day and that is how it all err works. If that isn't spot on, it was a very similar statement

trisher Tue 29-Jun-21 12:50:55

If you can forget how many children you have forgetting what actually happened is just a minor thing.

Sarnia Tue 29-Jun-21 12:31:56

On Friday, Boris publicly stated that 'the matter is closed' and Hancock would be staying in post. There was no mention from Boris of resignation and a new Health Secretary been installed over the weekend. Fast forward to today and Boris's selective memory has turned his very straightforward statement on Friday into a fairy tale with him telling Hancock to clear his desk and isn't he a wonderful PM. No, Boris, you aren't. Don't treat this country like a bunch of idiots. First rule Boris: when you are in a hole, stop digging.

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:58:27

Lucca

So now apparently Boris is trying to claim credit for Hancock’s resignation. You have to laugh really.

I think he actually believes his own lies now given that most people seem happy to believe them too.

trisher Tue 29-Jun-21 10:03:20

It's quite simple Boris didn't want Hancock to go, so he told him he was right behind him and would back him to the hilt. Hancock took fright and resigned! Ergo Boris was responsible!

Lucca Tue 29-Jun-21 07:03:56

So now apparently Boris is trying to claim credit for Hancock’s resignation. You have to laugh really.

MawBe Tue 29-Jun-21 06:43:53

More surge testing in London

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 19:50:14

Hancock’s hand on Johnson’s bum?
MawBe ???

You are very norty.

trisher Mon 28-Jun-21 19:48:22

Whitewavemark2

trisher

How does anyone know what Johnson wanted or didn't want? Anything he says is purely what he thinks will make him more popular at the time. He has noconcept of loyalty so it's unlikely that came into it. Of course he may have thought MH could be blamed if it all went wrong. But he'll have some other incompetent lined-up now for the fall guy.

He said that he didn’t want Hancock to go.

Do you suppose he did the same as he did with Brexit? Wrote 2 articles one supporting Hancock and one condemning him? Then tossed up to see which he went with??

MawBe Mon 28-Jun-21 19:37:39

growstuff

varian

It might have done for Hancock, at least for now, but Johnson clearly expects to welcome him back before too long. What on earth would it take for the loyalists to ditch Johnson?

Videos of Johnson's hand on Arcuri's bum?

Hancock’s hand on Johnson’s bum?

growstuff Mon 28-Jun-21 19:34:39

varian

I doubt that would be enough growstuff

Videos of his hand on Symonds' bum while he was still married? Videos of him "in flagrante delicto"?

varian Mon 28-Jun-21 19:25:25

I doubt that would be enough growstuff

growstuff Mon 28-Jun-21 19:10:20

varian

It might have done for Hancock, at least for now, but Johnson clearly expects to welcome him back before too long. What on earth would it take for the loyalists to ditch Johnson?

Videos of Johnson's hand on Arcuri's bum?

varian Mon 28-Jun-21 19:03:28

Chewbacca Mon 28-Jun-21 18:54:21

I think it was the cocktail of corruption, cronyism and office fumbles that finally pissed everyone off.

growstuff Mon 28-Jun-21 17:26:31

I agree with winterwhite and Whitewave. People turn a blind eye to corruption and cronyism, but not to office fumbles. It's quite sickening.

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 17:25:31

winterwhite you are correct.

But the reason given for his resignation was that he had broken social distancing guidance.

Unbelievable.

growstuff Mon 28-Jun-21 17:24:39

Johnson was just lucky that there were no cameras when he had his IT lessons.

vegansrock Mon 28-Jun-21 17:23:14

It’s all intertwined isn’t it.? Were they already at it before she was appointed? If so a conflict of interests should have been declared. A sex scandal always sells papers and has some entertainment value, but paying your squeeze taxpayers’ money is another. Johnson and Arcuri spring to mind.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Jun-21 17:20:34

winterwhite

I'll try to word this sensitively. It had not occurred to me to think that throughout lockdown there really was no kissing/cuddling/lovemaking outside family units or specific bubbles. I can't believe that anyone thought this could really be prevented for months on end. A very different matter from not touching the elderly in care homes, say.

Sordid though that photo is, I think that fudging the appointment of a non executive director and then using that person as his 'aide' - a direct clash of roles - is more truly dishonest and blameworthy (where were the other non execs that this was allowed to happen)? And then the cronyism and the contracts. I think these far more serious than kissing behind the filing cabinets (so to speak) and that constant harping on 'hypocrisy' allows the govt to downplay these other aspects.

You are right of course, but bizarrely the Tory mps only started getting critical emails after the video was shown.

You do wonder about people’s morals don’t you?

winterwhite Mon 28-Jun-21 17:16:44

I'll try to word this sensitively. It had not occurred to me to think that throughout lockdown there really was no kissing/cuddling/lovemaking outside family units or specific bubbles. I can't believe that anyone thought this could really be prevented for months on end. A very different matter from not touching the elderly in care homes, say.

Sordid though that photo is, I think that fudging the appointment of a non executive director and then using that person as his 'aide' - a direct clash of roles - is more truly dishonest and blameworthy (where were the other non execs that this was allowed to happen)? And then the cronyism and the contracts. I think these far more serious than kissing behind the filing cabinets (so to speak) and that constant harping on 'hypocrisy' allows the govt to downplay these other aspects.