Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock….

(409 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:47:08

Anyone watching this now? He really does talk the talk doesn’t he. Has just stated that no health worker has died due to lack of PPE. At least Sarah Owen is now giving him a good grilling.

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 12:52:41

I am watching, but struggling to stay awake. I was glued to the Cummings one, but Hancock seems to be trying to bore us all into switching off. (I know it's not entertainment, but still . . .)

Actually, the Dawn Butler questions about his conversations with individuals is getting interesting ?

Ro60 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:55:17

Amazed he's the gall to say most of what he's said.
Nice watching him squirm. Does he really believe people have such short memories - about something that's affected us all in one way or another.
No ppe shortage? ? I remember the staff in bin liners!
The DNRs out on people - maybe he doesn't watch the news? ?
SM facing up to him well.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:55:37

Doctors are already tweeting the Hancock is lying.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:04:45

Hancock said that he wasn’t aware of Palantir’s links with Cambridge Analytica.

I don’t believe him. That is a lie

dragonfly46 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:07:09

I don't believe either of them - Hancock or Cummings!

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 13:09:41

Whitewavemark2

Hancock said that he wasn’t aware of Palantir’s links with Cambridge Analytica.

I don’t believe him. That is a lie

Yes. Either a bare-faced lie or an admission of incompetence, as it was his business to know these things. He can't have it both ways.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:27:05

Doodledog

I am watching, but struggling to stay awake. I was glued to the Cummings one, but Hancock seems to be trying to bore us all into switching off. (I know it's not entertainment, but still . . .)

Actually, the Dawn Butler questions about his conversations with individuals is getting interesting ?

He was downright rude to Dawn Butler….

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:29:50

I didn’t know this but DH was watching breakfast tv and they said that no one was allowed to accuse anyone of lying in parliament. It’s obvious that they don’t but I didn’t realise it wasn’t actually allowed. I think it was Caroline Lucas or Layla Moran who pointed it out.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:30:56

Ro60

Amazed he's the gall to say most of what he's said.
Nice watching him squirm. Does he really believe people have such short memories - about something that's affected us all in one way or another.
No ppe shortage? ? I remember the staff in bin liners!
The DNRs out on people - maybe he doesn't watch the news? ?
SM facing up to him well.

I don’t think he’s squirming. I think he actually believes his own lies.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 13:32:36

I watched a bit earlier and I wondered if they will have someone analyse the body language and speech/language used as it was clear, as a Mother myself, he was doing a lot of lying.

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 13:36:42

MayBee70

Doodledog

He was downright rude to Dawn Butler….

He was. Throughout this and the Cummings interview I have thought that Jeremy hunt has been very even-handed, but in that case I thought he should have admonished Hancock.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:37:48

JaneJudge

I watched a bit earlier and I wondered if they will have someone analyse the body language and speech/language used as it was clear, as a Mother myself, he was doing a lot of lying.

Absolutely. You could “read” his body language so easily .

A lot of grandstanding as well, excruciatingly embarrassingly so.

Mollygo Thu 10-Jun-21 13:42:06

It’s difficult watching liars accusing each other. I’ve just been for a long walk as it’s better for my health.

Dinahmo Thu 10-Jun-21 13:54:14

MayBee70

I didn’t know this but DH was watching breakfast tv and they said that no one was allowed to accuse anyone of lying in parliament. It’s obvious that they don’t but I didn’t realise it wasn’t actually allowed. I think it was Caroline Lucas or Layla Moran who pointed it out.

I think that they can use the word "untruth"

Oldbat1 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:58:07

Trouble is he really believes he is telling the truth! Body language says otherwise. Quote from my mother as she couldn’t abide liars and neither can I ”the truth will out” (hopefully). The Doctors and Nurses and Old Folks Home staff must be furious.

theworriedwell Thu 10-Jun-21 14:00:42

Just got in from work (in a care home) so I missed it. Any highlights? What did he say to Dawn Butler?

Any infor would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Dinahmo Thu 10-Jun-21 14:02:34

In Hancock's eyes he is telling the truth when he said words to the effect that they tested people going into care homes. He then followed up with there were plans in place ready for when they had the ability to test which in his eyes absolves the govt. Completely ignoring the time lag between sick people being sent to care homes and the testing being introduced. Several weeks I think.

Hancock like Johnson and the others has a clever way with words. They all say that they have plans in place to do this, that and the other and that's it. No more details as to when the actions might take place and often the plans are quietly forgotten.

One really needs to listen to exactly what's being said and unfortunately a lot of people don't. The devil really is in the detail.

theworriedwell Thu 10-Jun-21 14:03:11

Oldbat1, at my care home we laugh at the lies as if we didn't we'd either explode or cry. One thing we all agreed on was our reaction when they went on TV and said all care home residents had been offered the jab, when I went into work I said I was shouting at the TV that it wasn't true. Apparently we all shouted the same thing at the same time, shame he didn't hear us.

theworriedwell Thu 10-Jun-21 14:04:03

Dinahmo

In Hancock's eyes he is telling the truth when he said words to the effect that they tested people going into care homes. He then followed up with there were plans in place ready for when they had the ability to test which in his eyes absolves the govt. Completely ignoring the time lag between sick people being sent to care homes and the testing being introduced. Several weeks I think.

Hancock like Johnson and the others has a clever way with words. They all say that they have plans in place to do this, that and the other and that's it. No more details as to when the actions might take place and often the plans are quietly forgotten.

One really needs to listen to exactly what's being said and unfortunately a lot of people don't. The devil really is in the detail.

Very true.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 14:04:41

He said that if Dominic Cummings had any evidence about him then he would have produced it by now.

Dinahmo Thu 10-Jun-21 14:05:06

the worriedwell There is an ongoing summary of the hearing on the Guardian website so you can learn about the interrogation as it happens.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 14:07:05

theworriedwell

Just got in from work (in a care home) so I missed it. Any highlights? What did he say to Dawn Butler?

Any infor would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

They’re reshowing bits of it on Sky News….

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 14:09:32

Plenty of evidence stacking up without Cummings evidence.

Cummings hasn’t finished yet you can be sure of that.

theworriedwell Thu 10-Jun-21 14:10:51

Thanks, I will have a look at Sky and The Guardian.