Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid vaccinations to be made compulsory for care home staff

(264 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 16-Jun-21 13:07:53

I wonder how many residents that nurse could potentially have infected when she got covid Visgirl?
That’s a classic example of why compliance is essential.
I am pleased the home stood firm on their policy.

Visgir1 Wed 16-Jun-21 13:05:55

Alegrias1 it was all done by the book.
Also I believe with this particular individual her Bradford index was through the roof.

JenniferEccles Wed 16-Jun-21 13:02:20

I am struggling to have any sympathy with those who refuse.
They must be well aware of how reassuring it would be for the residents and their families knowing that every member of staff had been vaccinated.

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 12:56:24

They put into place several months ago, no vaccination no job, and definitely no sick pay.

Is that legal?

Visgir1 Wed 16-Jun-21 12:54:32

My sister is a Peripatetic Nurse manager for a Care Home group, ensuring standards and CQC requirements.
They put into place several months ago, no vaccination no job, and definitely no sick pay.
They advised all staff to get it otherwise, they are breaking there updated guidelines, notice and a time frame was given per employment law . Those who refuse left their posts, apparently only a couple of them across the group.
One nurse kicked up a fuss she was aware of the new terms, she continued to refused, they reiterate the need.
Before anything else could take place with her she got Covid. Due to all the advise in place she wanted to do it her way, so they refused to pay her sick any pay.

Lucca Wed 16-Jun-21 12:51:50

romaroot

People said I was mad last year when I said it would become compulsory. I saw it coming, and not a conspiracist, but can't help thinking they were right.
I suppose I'd just look for another job, perhaps working from home.

Why ? Just have the jab!

I’m 100% in agreement with this decision

Talullah Wed 16-Jun-21 12:46:15

I've a friend who is reluctantly looking for a home for her mother who has advanced dementia. She's been looking at a few and one of the first questions she asks is are the staff vaccinated against Covid. Maybe some will think it's none of her business but I can see the reasoning. Maybe the care/nursing homes are appreciating that this is going to be a question asked of them and if they say no they will lose a prospective resident.

Casdon Wed 16-Jun-21 12:40:56

The compliance has been increasing in recent months anyway - 95.6% of NHS staff and 92.1% of care home staff have now had at least their first vaccination here (Wales), so if the government give staff four months notice that it will become compulsory it should have a minimal impact on service delivery, as some will opt to have it then. Redeployment to non patient contact roles in care homes isn’t realistically going to be much of an option for those staff who still don’t want it though, as what would/could they do instead?
It’s a really difficult dilemma for some people I think, as if you are adamantly opposed to vaccination you are effectively unable to work. No doubt there will be legal challenges.

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 12:35:22

That's a good point Esspee; if its acceptable for people who can't be vaccinated to work in care homes, then why is it necessary for those who don't want to be vaccinated to lose their jobs or be redeployed?

I don't know what the answer is here and I'm interested to read others' points of view.

Esspee Wed 16-Jun-21 12:31:49

I can't understand the logic in allowing those who cannot be vaccinated to be exempt unless they tested positive for antibodies showing they have some immunity.
This is a new health threat and the most vulnerable need protecting.

maddyone Wed 16-Jun-21 12:28:50

Initially I thought that it would be difficult to impose this on currently employed staff but okay for new staff. I’m still a bit uneasy with the changing of their Contract of Employment but can see that it’s a good thing for all Carers and eventually NHS staff to be vaccinated, so I think now, on balance, I support it.

mokryna Wed 16-Jun-21 12:23:48

Same here romaroot when I said earlier this year that it was going to be the rule in France.

romaroot Wed 16-Jun-21 12:22:09

People said I was mad last year when I said it would become compulsory. I saw it coming, and not a conspiracist, but can't help thinking they were right.
I suppose I'd just look for another job, perhaps working from home.

JenniferEccles Wed 16-Jun-21 11:49:34

It’s about time isn’t it?
Why have so many of those who look after some of the most vulnerable people in society been able to refuse all this time?
Those with a genuine medical reason to explain their refusal will be exempt but others who continue to refuse will be deployed elsewhere or asked to leave.