Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit is fast becoming a disaster

(686 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:03:08

HMRC have published some figures to show that food and drink exports fell by 2bn in the first 3 months since Brexit.

Dairy was down a massive 90%? and there were losses across the board.

The figures show that rather it being a teething issue as the Tories would have us believe it is in fact structural and likely to continue unless there is some sort of move towards say the SM.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Oct-21 11:00:35

Visas for butchers now.

When are these idiots going to understand that no one will come.

For gods sake a toddler could do a better job.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:58:25

From the New Yorker

PippaZ Thu 30-Sep-21 15:39:55

They think we are all stupid Greta, so they tell us anything that sounds good to them. And why shouldn't they when you see what people will and have believed.

Greta Thu 30-Sep-21 15:33:18

I listened to the radio 4 Today programme this morning. Simon Clark, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, was adamant that the HGV problem has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. He just wouldn't accept that the fact that many EU drivers have left the UK could possibly have aggravated the situation. We share the HGV driver shortage with the rest of the EU, he said, and Covid and demographics are to blame. Now there are huge opportunities out there and soon we'll have a pool of drivers ready. To believe that Brexit has played a part is just negative thinking, according to Simon Clark.

So there we have it. All is well.

growstuff Thu 30-Sep-21 15:10:46

I wouldn't disagree with any of that Whitewave.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 30-Sep-21 14:59:15

Headline in the Washington Post

“Who could guess Brexit would cause food and gas shortages? Actually, anyone.”

Extract from article

“This became the core idea of the Brexit agenda: a systematic attempt to reject any notion of disadvantage while obsessing over perceived advantages. Brexit was never approached as a typical policy item, with weaknesses and strengths. It was treated instead as a crusade for patriotic meaning, in which support demonstrated national commitment. To be for Brexit was to be for Britain. To be against it was to be against Britain. Those pointing out potential problems in the Brexit project were, therefore, dismissed as traitors, “enemies of the people,” or out-of-touch metropolitan elitists.
This led to a severe deterioration in the quality of British political debate. But it also did something that would prove much more devastating to those who wanted to deliver Brexit: It prevented them from seeing the obstacles heading their way. And now they are being buffeted by crisis after crisis — all of which could be foreseen, but none of which were prepared for. We are witnessing the failure of post-truth politics not on a moral level, but on a practical one.”

Whitewavemark2 Thu 30-Sep-21 14:02:27

Just love this

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 21:35:22

... by train.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 21:32:48

But the Brexiters will continue to shout 'scare mongering' - how many of our essential drugs and treatments are made in the UK and could be transported by the Army to keep supplies going.

I am already sourcing epipens to take over with me for my grandson.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Sep-21 21:27:43

Yes the pharmacists have been warning the government. The time to act was when they were first told. This government is absolutely plagued by inertia. We can’t go on like this.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 20:17:15

I know it is from the Guardian, so will be automatically dismissed by some, but this is another, real, concern and not scaremongering

'''UK pharmacies are low on stock as the Brexit problem carries on throughout the nation. The National Pharmacists Association (NPA) said on Sunday that it was aware that deliveries to some pharmacies had been reduced and that its members worked together and with local GPs to get medicines that were needed when problems occurred.''

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 16:26:05

This was a concern even before Brexit, and before this petrol and HGV drivers shortage.

''Radioisotopes are radioactive atoms that can be used against cancer and are a key component of some types of scan.

Their supply chains operate on tight schedules, as the nuclear materials quickly decay and become unusable. And stockpiling supplies in advance of a potential no deal, as planned for some other medicines, is impossible.

Extra £2.1bn for no-deal Brexit planning
10 ways no-deal Brexit could affect you
UK delays no-deal medicine transport contract

The UK produced only one type of radioisotope, the Royal College of Radiologists told Newsnight. All other radioactive medical materials are imported - the "vast majority" from the EU.

The letter's authors question whether they will reach hospitals in time if there are delays at the border. Delays could lead to isotope shipments missing the lorries booked for their onward journeys around the UK.

The Royal College of Radiologists, the British Nuclear Medicine Society and the UK Radiopharmacy Group cite issues that arose during a no-deal trial, when one major supplier struggled to get their material fast-tracked through customs. Other, smaller suppliers have reportedly had problems too.

The Royal College of Radiologists has previously warned about potential delays to tests and treatment that rely on radioisotopes''

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 16:15:05

Peter Kay on voting leave and regretting it.

Peter Kay
@theonlypeterkay
Plenty have said as much to Mr James O’Brian
on his program. There’s no shame in it. Being conned is a signal of purity of spirit - being the con-merchant is where the focus for condemnation should lie.

Dinahmo Sat 25-Sep-21 14:49:02

Kali2

Those proportion hve changed vastly,

some see the reality 20/80 at best ...

Which proportions? If you are referring to the figures qouted by Katie59 they are those for July 2021 taken from the Office for National Statistics

Dinahmo Sat 25-Sep-21 14:46:10

Katie59

Dinahmo

Katie59

Checking up on unemployment figures which is not straightforward it seems there are 1.5m unemployed plus nearly 9m “economically inactive” (not seeking work) in the 16 - 64yr age group.

That seems an awful lot of working age people!.

They are students,landlords and those living off investment income.

Funny because I thought Landlords paid taxes on income and investment income certainly gets taxed.

Nobody mentioned taxation. This comment is about those below retirement age who are not seeking employment.

Dinahmo Sat 25-Sep-21 14:44:05

GillT57

Dinahmo

Katie59

Checking up on unemployment figures which is not straightforward it seems there are 1.5m unemployed plus nearly 9m “economically inactive” (not seeking work) in the 16 - 64yr age group.

Plus seriously underpaid and undervalued carers for family members, or people like me who decided to retire early, pull my belt in a bit, couldn't be bothered with the unappreciated aggravation of running a small business. Do you suggest that i should be picking peas?

The economically inactive figure of 9 million represents people who are not in employment or are not registered as unemployed. This excludes those quoted in GillT57s comments.

varian Sat 25-Sep-21 11:38:51

If Brexiteers control the media, and use it to misinform, democracy is undermined.

Brexiteers should be able to convince a well informed public of the merits in their policy. Hiding the truth won't work, but only delay the inevitable consequences of a bad policy.

Trader blames Brexit for soaring price of fish - but BBC edits it out
The price of a container of imported fish has jumped by £11,000 - just don't mention the B word!
www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/trader-blames-brexit-for-soaring-price-of-fish-but-bbc-edits-it-out-290736/

Brexiteers shouldn't be happy with facts being hidden from them, neither. The fact that we left does not mean those who support our leaving should want lies and concealing truths to be the norm.

Only a bad boss would want a ‘yes men’ around him, and only a stupid voter will want to hear news from a ‘yes men’ (and women). If you support Brexit you want the truth so that problems are identified and pressure to solve them makes your leaders deal with them. Problems don't go away just because you don't know about them.

p.s. BBC charter: “To act in the public interest, serving all audiences with impartial, high-quality and distinctive media content and services that inform, educate and entertain”

Misha Hoo

brexitactually.quora.com/?__ni__=0&__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=26583336258&__tiids__=38102569

GillT57 Fri 24-Sep-21 20:52:40

You know me so well growstuff, I like nothing better than a freshly picked raspberry, but prefer someone else to do the picking!

growstuff Fri 24-Sep-21 19:37:40

GillT57

Dinahmo

Katie59

Plus seriously underpaid and undervalued carers for family members, or people like me who decided to retire early, pull my belt in a bit, couldn't be bothered with the unappreciated aggravation of running a small business. Do you suggest that i should be picking peas?

And stay-at-home parents and the disabled (and other groups).

GillT57 I think you're probably more of a soft fruit person. wink

theworriedwell Fri 24-Sep-21 17:35:30

Whitewavemark2

I’ve posted on the petrol thread.

FT reporting Johnson going to allow visas for essential workers etc. He’s given in.

Let’s hope they want to come.

I’d be inclined to say “stuff it”

Hard to keep up with his u turns. Will the Universal credit change be next?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Sep-21 15:53:59

I’ve posted on the petrol thread.

FT reporting Johnson going to allow visas for essential workers etc. He’s given in.

Let’s hope they want to come.

I’d be inclined to say “stuff it”

vegansrock Fri 24-Sep-21 15:49:08

It seems like cutting off nose to spite face to not allow essential workers from EU countries visas. And why not recognise medical qualifications from countries like France and Germany which have excellent healthcare? Seems ludicrous.

Katie59 Fri 24-Sep-21 15:38:31

Dinahmo

Katie59

Funny because I thought Landlords paid taxes on income and investment income certainly gets taxed.

Kali2 Fri 24-Sep-21 15:16:09

Those proportion hve changed vastly,

some see the reality 20/80 at best ...

MayBee70 Fri 24-Sep-21 15:16:02

Even the BBC is finally admitting that brexit is the cause of many of these problems. I’ve just read that the government are not going to allow dentists that have qualified in other countries. My dentist (NHS) is from Poland so I’m very concerned about that. Surely the government aren’t trying to make it difficult for NHS practices? hmm?