Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Nicola Sturgeon have discouraged Scottish Football fans without tickets from travelling to London?

(171 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 19-Jun-21 07:49:28

26 arrests last night, flares being let off and general chaos in the West End. Only it didn't seem so long ago that she was asking people from England not to travel to Scotland.

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:56:10

dragonfly46

Alegrias if she did not think she could stop the fans travelling to London how is she going to prevent Scots from travelling to Manchester on Monday?

Like I said on another thread. Its not permitted to travel to Manchester from Monday. Some bright spark will still do it, the same as people flew into Glasgow from London to have a weekend with the family when travel into Glasgow wasn't permitted.

She doesn't have magic powers, you know.

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:57:59

Callistemon

^I'm wondering how they could have been prevented from travelling. We've just had months of travel restrictions, so I guess we know how to do it. No trains from Scotland to London? No flights^
Australia seems to have managed to stop people from travelling from one state to another.

can you imagine if we'd set up border checkpoints between Scotland and England? GN would have gone into meltdown.

???

theworriedwell Sat 19-Jun-21 13:21:06

Cathymac

Scots have been banned from travelling to Manchester despite the fact that Manchester has a comparable level of Covid to that of Dundee. The non essential travel ban has been set out in the Health Protection Covid Restrictions Regulations. This is extremely baffling because although it’s the law how are people actually going to be prevented from going . Why did Nicola Sturgeon not put this law into force for the football fans ? Because she knows it’s too difficult enforce? Didn’t want to upset them ?

Or because she thought it was London's business? Maybe she feels she needs to step in as the Govt in London aren't doing anything.

Isn't Johnson working on allowing thousands in from other european countries for the big final?

eazybee Sat 19-Jun-21 13:56:11

Much as I dislike Ms Sturgeon I don't think she can be held responsible for the behaviour of stupid people AKA as football fans and I doubt she could actually forbid them to attend.
The matches should never have been open to the public.

Blame the Football Association.

MawBe Sat 19-Jun-21 16:12:19

Aveline Sat 19-Jun-21 08:37:01
I sometimes think we live in a different Scotland from you Alegrias. The Scots fans' behaviour was execrable. This was entirely predictable and every effort should have been made to prevent their travelling

Come off it Aveline
Some fans of both nationalities , granted.
Then to dismiss your own countrymen with a sentence like This was entirely predictable etc saddens me and disappoints me.
Some Scots fans made a valuable contribution to clearing up - do they count as execrable too?

Aveline Sat 19-Jun-21 16:29:10

MawBe I can only assume that you haven't seen the videos of Scottish fans behaviour that I had the unfortunate experience to see.

Rosie51 Sun 20-Jun-21 22:46:09

I'm no supporter of Ms Sturgeon, but for goodness sake she did entreat Scottish supporters without match tickets not to travel. The fact they ignored her, like English fans would have ignored Mr Johnson, is not her fault. Do people expect her to stand, arms outstretched, barring the way?

Some Scottish fans behaved admirably in helping to clear the mess left behind in London. Thank you to them, I doubt very much any of you were responsible for the litter. A very visible minority of football fans are just entitled, slobby, trouble causing embarrassments to their own countries or clubs. The vast majority just enjoy the game. I love football, the Euros and World Cup are my idea of heaven and I enjoy the wall to wall coverage but I accept it's anathema to others. In this time of Covid I regretfully think it should have been cancelled again.

SueDonim Sun 20-Jun-21 23:15:15

Nicola Sturgeon has had no problem in banning people in Scotland from going to Manchester (and people from those areas from coming to Scotland). Why couldn’t she have banned football fans from going to London? She didn’t stop fans from Dundee going to London despite Dundee’s CV rates being as high as Manchester, indeed Scotland currently has the highest rate in Europe.

As for the nonsense that parents can’t attend their small children’s nursery graduation ceremonies but they can gather with 5,999 others in a Euro football zone, words fail me. It’s so upsetting. sad

Calendargirl Mon 21-Jun-21 07:21:06

Nursery graduation ceremonies? Honestly?

confused

Aveline Mon 21-Jun-21 08:56:30

Yup

25Avalon Mon 21-Jun-21 09:09:59

Even if the match had been behind closed doors with no spectators both Scottish and English ‘fans’ would probably still have travelled and congregated outside. Very difficult to prevent. We have seen people gather in masses on beaches, illegal raves and large protests and marches all against Covid regulations which have been impossible to police. Mind you if Scotland were in the EU how would it erect and maintain a border? Rebuild Hadrian’s Wall maybe?

Alegrias1 Mon 21-Jun-21 09:12:52

I am mystified by the ban on travel to Manchester and Salford, I think its a mistake but Swinney was on the radio saying it was the right thing to do. I hope they rescind it, but it is weird.

I don't see a problem with an outdoor event of 6,000 people which is ticketed and where social distance rules are enforced. I do see the issue with allowing gatherings of people who, by definition, are going to want to hug each other.

However we live in a world where people think their five-year-olds need to graduate from nursery, so what do I know?

Alegrias1 Mon 21-Jun-21 09:13:34

Rebuild Hadrian’s Wall maybe?

Does that mean we get a bit of Northumberland?

25Avalon Mon 21-Jun-21 09:25:46

Alegrias1

^Rebuild Hadrian’s Wall maybe?^

Does that mean we get a bit of Northumberland?

Probably not! Although Berwick has changed hands so many times it doesn’t regard itself as Scottish or English!

Alegrias1 Mon 21-Jun-21 09:52:34

Should Boris Johnson have discouraged revellers wanting to celebrate the Solstice from travelling to Wiltshire?

tps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-57550606

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Jun-21 09:53:48

Alegrias1

Should Boris Johnson have discouraged revellers wanting to celebrate the Solstice from travelling to Wiltshire?

tps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-57550606

Yes.

Alegrias1 Mon 21-Jun-21 09:57:51

..and yet NS did what people say she should have and Johnson didn't.

If I was a suspicious person, I'd think that some people want to blame NS for the wrongdoing of anybody in Scotland shock

25Avalon Mon 21-Jun-21 10:02:37

Alegrias there are a lot of things that should have been discouraged if not stopped. Probably more Scotland footie fans than Druids so much more difficult to control as NS knows.

Elegran Mon 21-Jun-21 10:06:44

She did discourage them, in fact she entreated them not to go. but when it was open to spectators and the venue wasn't under her direct control, she could hardly apply force to stop them travelling - by plane, train, bus, and car. It would take the entire Scottish police force and hundreds of black marias to arrest the passengers and transport them to jail, where they would just claim they were going down to visit their auntie and had no plans to see the fitba'

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Jun-21 10:22:22

Alegrias1

..and yet NS did what people say she should have and Johnson didn't.

If I was a suspicious person, I'd think that some people want to blame NS for the wrongdoing of anybody in Scotland shock

No different to those on GN who blame the PM for all and sundry…

Alegrias1 Mon 21-Jun-21 10:29:06

Haven't seen a lot of people blaming him for the crowds on the beaches last year. Or the demos. Or the revellers at Stonehenge. Or the people flying up to Glasgow for a holiday when it was in lockdown.

Quite different, I'd say.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Jun-21 10:36:39

Alegrias1

Haven't seen a lot of people blaming him for the crowds on the beaches last year. Or the demos. Or the revellers at Stonehenge. Or the people flying up to Glasgow for a holiday when it was in lockdown.

Quite different, I'd say.

So either it’s the general population not giving a flying pig regarding Covid restrictions or it’s the PM and the devolved Nations First Ministers fault for not enforcing them.

As The First Minister was able to stop the general population of Scotland, particularly Glasgow from straying outside their postcode, maybe, just maybe football fans (of all nations) think they are above the law?

Talullah Mon 21-Jun-21 10:38:41

You are always going to find people who will break rules and do as they wish. NS asked people not to go. They went. Hardly her fault.

Alegrias1 Mon 21-Jun-21 10:39:53

Well obviously its some people thinking they can bend the rules, or maybe not thinking at all. Maybe seeing all those leaders and their teams on the beach at Cornwall had an impact on that. Or the news that a few thousand people will be allowed into the country for the footie at Wembley without any quarantine.

Talullah Mon 21-Jun-21 10:44:20

And now Billy Gilmour has tested positive so no matches for him for a while.