Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this a joke, or something?

(184 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 22-Jun-21 21:09:47

This is trending on twitter this evening.

NEW: The government is urging children to sing this song on June 25

follow the link for the video..

twitter.com/alexmarr98/status/1407386244787671043

Not quite sure what the significance of 25th June is.

Or if this is bona fide...

ayse Wed 23-Jun-21 08:50:03

I'm almost speechless! Well, almost.

Inclusivity is good but nationalism as others have said leads to terrible consequences. I don’t want our grandchildren contaminated with this right wing nonsense.

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:11:11

OBON are so committed to a spirit of inclusion that they didn't bother to find out that most of the schools in Scotland will be closed on the 25th.

Apparently they want them to clap for a minute as well.

I was reminded last night watching the football that they used to play the UK National Anthem before the Scottish football matches, before we put an end to that nonsense. How timely.

Grandma70s Wed 23-Jun-21 09:12:52

It is quite like the songs sung by the Hitler Youth. Perhaps those too young to remember what led to the Second World War don’t appreciate how insidious these sentiments can be.

I’ve always been quite tolerant of Rule Britannia, because it’s 18th century, but this song is NOW.

MerylStreep Wed 23-Jun-21 09:19:00

I’m watching Mr Singh explain the making/recording of this song.
I can’t see any Nazi uniform or swastikas.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:24:05

It’s a song written by school children in a multicultural city (Bradford) , perhaps seen through their eyes it’s what they wish for…

All people as equal whatever their race, religion or gender working towards a better more inclusive UK.

Sorry but I do think that bias against the PM and his Government clouds their judgement, are we overthinking this song?

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:36:25

Nope, not overthinking. People can write all the "patriotic" songs they want. And this does sound like it was written by schoolchildren.

But encouraging its singing at all schools to promote our "One Nation" is a step too far. I think that is what people are objecting to.

Stormystar Wed 23-Jun-21 09:41:50

I consider this Global Buddhist collective has a heart intention for good. We are all free to interpret its intentions any way we choose.
“One Britain One Nation (OBON) aims to "create, a strong, fair, harmonious and a proud British Nation, celebrating patriotism and respect for all our people". "OBON DAY 2021" will take place this Friday on June 25 and will begin at 10am. The group said on its website: "Encourage every child in your school to clap for a minute to recognise, embrace and pay tribute to all those people who helped during the COVID-19 pandemic crisis."

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:47:13

That's a different OBON. The flag wavers are not the same as the Buddhists.

www.japan-guide.com/e/e2286.html

www.onebritainonenation.com/

nanna8 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:48:21

That has to be the worst song I have ever heard. Don’t know who wrote it, don’t care. It is vile.

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:49:32

It was written by children nanna8, we can cut them some slack. I think the quality of the song is the least of our worries!

Blossoming Wed 23-Jun-21 09:50:03

Ein reich, ein volk, ein fuhrer immediately came to mind. I too feel sorry for those Bradford children, who undoubtedly meant well, but in the current political climate it seems singularly ill-judged.

Callistemon Wed 23-Jun-21 09:54:10

Granny23

Oh the Irony!!!

the Department for Education wrote: “We're encouraging schools across the UK to celebrate One Britain One Nation Day on 25 June, when children can learn about our shared values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

Most schools in Scotland will close for the summer holidays on June 24.

Priceless, Granny23! ?

I do feel sorry for the well meaning and probably excited children of St John's Primary School whose sentiments probably are that we should be inclusive of all and kind to each other.
Nothing wrong with that.

MaizieD Wed 23-Jun-21 09:54:55

GrannyGravy13

It’s a song written by school children in a multicultural city (Bradford) , perhaps seen through their eyes it’s what they wish for…

All people as equal whatever their race, religion or gender working towards a better more inclusive UK.

Sorry but I do think that bias against the PM and his Government clouds their judgement, are we overthinking this song?

I hope you have noticed, GG13, that I have tried to be fair in my posts on this. My initial horror and disbelief have been tempered by subsequent posts by others on the origins of the story. I can understand that a leading Bradford citizen would be keen to promote the idea of a common purpose among a highly diverse population.

But, as I said earlier, it does feel as though it feeds into a government agenda and has been pushed to the fore by a very right wing Parliamentary group.

They want every child to be responsible, active and engaged in developing a sense of civic pride by championing our shared values of British Citizenship so that every child is learning what it is to be fair, decent, respectful, tolerant and compassionate.

I'm sorry, but our current government, and particularly its leader, is hardly the embodiment of these values is it?

PippaZ Wed 23-Jun-21 09:55:39

Why do we have to hijack other countries cultural festivals and then get it so very, very wrong?

The photograph on the front of the One Britain, One Nation page is chilling. But as I said before, it will have it's supporters.

MerylStreep Wed 23-Jun-21 09:55:49

nanna8

That has to be the worst song I have ever heard. Don’t know who wrote it, don’t care. It is vile.

What a vile comment from you, who, if I’m right, professes to be a Christian.

MaizieD Wed 23-Jun-21 09:58:55

I do feel sorry for the well meaning and probably excited children of St John's Primary School whose sentiments probably are that we should be inclusive of all and kind to each other.

I absolutely agree with you, Callistemon.

It's not the sentiments that are at fault, but their eerie similarity to the 1930s fascist agenda is disturbing when pushed by a government source.

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 09:58:58

PippaZ

Why do we have to hijack other countries cultural festivals and then get it so very, very wrong?

The photograph on the front of the One Britain, One Nation page is chilling. But as I said before, it will have it's supporters.

Other countries festivals? What?

Japan's OBON day is in July.

"Our" (their?) OBON day in is June. The whole Buddhist thing is a red herring confused

growstuff Wed 23-Jun-21 10:00:21

"One Britain, One Nation" is an All-Party Parliamentary Group, chaired by Conservative MP Andrea Jenkyns. Its Public Enquiry Point is Kash Singh.

So much for this not being political! hmm

MaizieD Wed 23-Jun-21 10:00:32

MerylStreep

nanna8

What a vile comment from you, who, if I’m right, professes to be a Christian.

ad hominem. Not pretty, MerylStreep

growstuff Wed 23-Jun-21 10:01:08

I agree with you Alegrias. The Buddhist thing is indeed a distraction.

Ellianne Wed 23-Jun-21 10:05:26

I think it spells out what is wrong with state education. Totally prescriptive, do this, do that, by this particular date. It just turns children and teachers into mindless, controlled machines.
Well done to the children of St. John's Bradford, but one size doesn't fit all and I will be interested to hear whether my GC are doing this at their school in the English countryside.

muffinthemoo Wed 23-Jun-21 10:07:23

At least Deutschland uber Alles is a belter of a tune

Callistemon Wed 23-Jun-21 10:07:45

Lin52

Wales and Scotland , part of the British Isles, wether they like it or not, perhaps should be more inclusive in their outlook, what is wrong with a song about these Islands, would you lambast those Nationalists in those countries singing and promoting there, no I suppose not. The sentiments are actually more true than ever in this world of rising nationalism in those two areas of the British Isles.

The British Isles is a geographical region in the North Atlantic, not a political union.

I think APPGs are a good idea in principle, cross party groups exist for all kinds of reasons.
Can this one be particularly rightwing? If so, it would be a misnomer ie not cross-party.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Jun-21 10:09:52

MaizieD

^I do feel sorry for the well meaning and probably excited children of St John's Primary School whose sentiments probably are that we should be inclusive of all and kind to each other.^

I absolutely agree with you, Callistemon.

It's not the sentiments that are at fault, but their eerie similarity to the 1930s fascist agenda is disturbing when pushed by a government source.

These alleged far right sentiments could equally be applied to the far left North Korea, China or even Thailand have children singing The Countries anthem/song everyday!

Is it so wrong for children to thank all those who have worked tirelessly during the Covid-19 pandemic by clapping?

Is it wrong to educate children about community’s and helping each other?

If the participating schools can work the theme into the school day once a year could it improve community/social cohesion, or even emphasise schools ethos of helping each other?

After all we have days dedicated to Harvest Festival, Football Tournaments (when they are occurring) various Religious Festivals.

Callistemon Wed 23-Jun-21 10:10:09

growstuff

"One Britain, One Nation" is an All-Party Parliamentary Group, chaired by Conservative MP Andrea Jenkyns. Its Public Enquiry Point is Kash Singh.

So much for this not being political! hmm

It's supposed to be cross-party - who else is in that group?
I've been trying to find out