Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this a joke, or something?

(183 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 22-Jun-21 21:09:47

This is trending on twitter this evening.

NEW: The government is urging children to sing this song on June 25

follow the link for the video..

twitter.com/alexmarr98/status/1407386244787671043

Not quite sure what the significance of 25th June is.

Or if this is bona fide...

absent Tue 22-Jun-21 21:12:24

What a masterpiece!

BlueBelle Tue 22-Jun-21 21:19:05

I can see that happening ?????

MaizieD Tue 22-Jun-21 21:21:59

'The future belongs to us'?

Luckygirl Tue 22-Jun-21 21:23:46

I have said before: we need a finger-down-throat icon.....nothing else will do here.

MawBe Tue 22-Jun-21 21:36:26

“Tomorrow belongs to me” ?
youtu.be/SDuHXTG3uyY

MaizieD Tue 22-Jun-21 21:37:14

Luckygirl

I have said before: we need a finger-down-throat icon.....nothing else will do here.

? Would this do?

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 21:47:57

No way!
There's far better things children could currently be doing with their time.
The is an embarrassment.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 21:48:16

The DfE is an embarrassment.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 22:31:48

It's not fake news:

One Britain One Nation is an event set up by Kash Singh, a former police officer from Bradford. It lists its aim as being "to create, a strong, fair, harmonious and a proud British Nation, celebrating patriotism and respect for all our people".

"OBON day" is scheduled for Friday, June 25, and the campaign wants children to sing the OBON day 2021 anthem written by children at St John’s CE Primary School, Bradford.

The headline in Wales online sounds rather aghast grin
The UK government wants Welsh children to sing 'We are Britain' to celebrate ‘One Britain One Nation Day’

Witzend Tue 22-Jun-21 22:35:27

MawBe, that bit of Cabaret was the first thing I thought of too!
So utterly chilling.

muffinthemoo Tue 22-Jun-21 22:40:21

MawBe

“Tomorrow belongs to me” ?
youtu.be/SDuHXTG3uyY

Aw Maw, I was just coming to post that!!

muffinthemoo Tue 22-Jun-21 22:42:42

Callistemon

It's not fake news:

One Britain One Nation is an event set up by Kash Singh, a former police officer from Bradford. It lists its aim as being "to create, a strong, fair, harmonious and a proud British Nation, celebrating patriotism and respect for all our people".

"OBON day" is scheduled for Friday, June 25, and the campaign wants children to sing the OBON day 2021 anthem written by children at St John’s CE Primary School, Bradford.

^The UK government wants Welsh children to sing 'We are Britain' to celebrate ‘One Britain One Nation Day’^

Given that Wales play their last 16 game the very next day, I am about 100% confident the children of Wales will be singing nothing of the sort grin

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 22:51:44

grin

Talullah Tue 22-Jun-21 22:58:46

Most peculiar. But I feel sorry for the school children in Bradford who have written this and are obviously excited abut it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Jun-21 06:39:32

The government are channelling their inner Kim Jong-un.

Grandma70s Wed 23-Jun-21 06:58:38

When I first saw this on Twitter I thought it was a joke, but apparently it isn’t. Unbelievable.

Esspee Wed 23-Jun-21 07:40:36

I can see that being a big hit in Scotland. ???

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Jun-21 07:53:53

Just asked my GC, it’s not happening at their school.

vampirequeen Wed 23-Jun-21 08:00:26

No NAZI salute required this year but can be added at a later date.

PippaZ Wed 23-Jun-21 08:04:57

I suppose it had to happen. We've all known where they were taking us. But I am now going to bury myself under the duvet and cry. No doubt by the time I come out the far right will be on here telling us what a great idea it is.

Granny23 Wed 23-Jun-21 08:27:37

Oh the Irony!!!

the Department for Education wrote: “We're encouraging schools across the UK to celebrate One Britain One Nation Day on 25 June, when children can learn about our shared values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

Most schools in Scotland will close for the summer holidays on June 24.

MaizieD Wed 23-Jun-21 08:30:47

Callistemon

It's not fake news:

^The UK government wants Welsh children to sing 'We are Britain' to celebrate ‘One Britain One Nation Day’^

Thanks for that Callistemon

Twitter may have jumped to the wrong conclusions initially but there's usually someone who can put them right. The 'truth' seems less worrying, but not altogether so.

The OBON initiative is 'represented' in Parliament by an 'all party' (APG) group. These groups are not part of the official legislative machine in the way that Select Committees are, they are more like 'in house' lobbying groups. It was the influence of this group which led to the Dfe publishing a tweet publicising the date and the song. So it's not a highly suspect government initiative. Though I wonder if the government wishes it was, as it fits perfectly with its 'world beating Britain' and let's pretend that all is rosy with the Union' agenda.

Having said that, it's notable that the APG group members are all from the far right (it includes one of our local red wall MPs who likes to hobknob with the EDL shock .

Looking at the ethnic mix in Bradford it does, on the face of it look like a worthy, if a bit nauseating, initiative to try to integrate diverse communities. Taken nationwide, with a different agenda, it would indeed be chilling.

Stormystar Wed 23-Jun-21 08:36:28

OBON is. Buddhist collective, this is taken from its promotion of June 25th.
IOBON recognises that every parent, carer in the whole world over only wants the very best for their children and they want to see their children grow up feeling safe and protected. They want to see their children loved feeling happy and valued so that they can feel that they belong in their families, their school and their communities.

OBON wants to inspire our children to be the very best they can be by developing their self-esteem so that every child has this belief that they matter and are able to accomplish and realise their full potential. They want every child to be responsible, active and engaged in developing a sense of civic pride by championing our shared values of British Citizenship so that every child is learning what it is to be fair, decent, respectful, tolerant and compassionate.

OBON wants to see every child develop a strong emotional and meaningful connection with our country and its people by recognising that we are all one people with a role to play in the life of our nation where everyone must feel happy, safe and valued.

OBON wants to create a spirit of inclusion with a collective purpose and a common future where we all seek to eliminate hatred, intolerance and discrimination of any kind so that all our people can feel and develop a strong and shared sense of belonging in order to showcase their pride, passion and love for our great nation.

Lin52 Wed 23-Jun-21 08:48:15

Wales and Scotland , part of the British Isles, wether they like it or not, perhaps should be more inclusive in their outlook, what is wrong with a song about these Islands, would you lambast those Nationalists in those countries singing and promoting there, no I suppose not. The sentiments are actually more true than ever in this world of rising nationalism in those two areas of the British Isles.