Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this a joke, or something?

(184 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 22-Jun-21 21:09:47

This is trending on twitter this evening.

NEW: The government is urging children to sing this song on June 25

follow the link for the video..

twitter.com/alexmarr98/status/1407386244787671043

Not quite sure what the significance of 25th June is.

Or if this is bona fide...

Yorki Fri 25-Jun-21 11:00:43

When I read this, I had visions of the hitler youth, singing something similar to pacify the crazy leader " Adolf Hitler". Not a pleasant thought.

Yorki Fri 25-Jun-21 10:55:18

Whitewavemark.. I agree.

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 21:04:56

grin

One ex-MP who was Labour doesn't count!

MaizieD Thu 24-Jun-21 21:00:00

It's not All Party in the true sense of the words.

I did try to convey that idea, Callistemon grin

Talullah Thu 24-Jun-21 20:59:16

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg

Well hopefully nobody will ask children to write or sing anything that could end up being ripped to pieces on Twitter again.

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 20:57:45

As Mr Singh's organisation has the support of an All Party (but mostly tory) Parliamentary Group, ONOB, it does hover on the fringes of the political world.

It's not All Party in the true sense of the words.

MaizieD Thu 24-Jun-21 20:55:58

Talullah

I do feel sorry for the children involved in this. The Government had nothing to do with it. I know this is the Daily Mail and might cause offence but it explains how/why it was written .... by 7 - 10 year olds.

Mr Singh said criticism of the song was 'diabolical' and the seven, eight, nine and ten year olds who wrote it would be 'so upset'.

He added: 'I am absolutely shocked by the response. Where have we gone so far wrong in this country?'

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9720465/Retired-policeman-One-Britain-One-Nation-campaign-blasts-diabolical-social-media-trolls.html

Quite a long way back in this thread it was explained that the song came to people's attention by being highlighted in a tweet from the Dfe. Which looks like a certain amount of government approval.

It's not so much the dire, but for heaven's sake, it was written by children song that people are criticising as its endorsement by a government department. And looking at its wider 'possible' implications.

As Mr Singh's organisation has the support of an All Party (but mostly tory) Parliamentary Group, ONOB, it does hover on the fringes of the political world.

I feel sorry for the children, too.

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 20:48:02

Oh dear, I do feel rather sorry for them.

Alegrias1 Thu 24-Jun-21 20:41:38

I've hard Mr Singh interviewed a couple of times now, he seems either disingenuous or hopelessly naïve, not sure which. It seems the message of wanting to create a harmonious society has fallen a bit flat.

The children wrote the song off their own backs apparently, and nobody manipulated them to do it.

Are we convinced?

Elegran Thu 24-Jun-21 20:13:27

" . . free prescriptions and other stuff free that has to be paid for in England. . ." No, they are paid for by Scottish taxes, most of which go down to Westminster before some of the money is sent back up to Holyrood to spend on whatever is their priority

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Money collected in Scotland by taxing the Scots is being spent on the Scots - how selfish of them!

Talullah Thu 24-Jun-21 20:01:48

I do feel sorry for the children involved in this. The Government had nothing to do with it. I know this is the Daily Mail and might cause offence but it explains how/why it was written .... by 7 - 10 year olds.

Mr Singh said criticism of the song was 'diabolical' and the seven, eight, nine and ten year olds who wrote it would be 'so upset'.

He added: 'I am absolutely shocked by the response. Where have we gone so far wrong in this country?'

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9720465/Retired-policeman-One-Britain-One-Nation-campaign-blasts-diabolical-social-media-trolls.html

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 19:43:11

StoneofDestiny

*And now we have Conservative MP Joyce Morrisey launching a campaign to put into every home...no, not food...but a portrait of the Queen*

What? A joke I hope.

Yes, I have my Queen Coronation book from 1953 - will that do?

vegansrock Thu 24-Jun-21 19:40:52

Does anyone remember Michael Gove sending bibles to schools? ( When most schools already have plenty of bibles in the RE departments) Said single bible was stuck on a shelf in the library if lucky.

vampirequeen Thu 24-Jun-21 19:26:30

Sadly no joke about the picture of the Queen. As if we haven't got better things to spend money on.

As for being English. If I have to complete an official document and it asks for nationality I put British but really I'm not British nor even English. I'm from Yorkshire grin

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Jun-21 19:04:07

And now we have Conservative MP Joyce Morrisey launching a campaign to put into every home...no, not food...but a portrait of the Queen

What? A joke I hope.

MaizieD Thu 24-Jun-21 18:24:19

Maremia

Lucca, I wish.
MP for Beaconsfield, 'took to twitter to announce the initiative with the British Monarchists Society, of which she is the patron.'
There is a definite pattern here.

twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1407805675116417026

love0c Thu 24-Jun-21 18:20:57

It is certainly nothing like 'Lord of the Dance'. I remember that being introduced in schools and it became a hit everywhere. I even remember singing it in church at the time.

Maremia Thu 24-Jun-21 18:13:39

Lucca, I wish.
MP for Beaconsfield, 'took to twitter to announce the initiative with the British Monarchists Society, of which she is the patron.'
There is a definite pattern here.

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 18:13:26

It is at least a campaign to put a portrait In Every home-or office etc that WANT one.

But just imagine if she put the same time and energy into doing something useful.

I’m really sorry but the only thing I can think of to say is “stupid woman “

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 18:06:36

Maremia

And now we have Conservative MP Joyce Morrisey launching a campaign to put into every home...no, not food...but a portrait of the Queen. I am happy with that, but would prefer a £20 note, instead of a £10 note.
Seriously, you don't see a pattern of behaviour here?

Please say you are joking.aren’t there some more important issues which need addressing ? I have nothing against the queen but I do not need or want her portrait up in my house

Maremia Thu 24-Jun-21 18:01:18

And now we have Conservative MP Joyce Morrisey launching a campaign to put into every home...no, not food...but a portrait of the Queen. I am happy with that, but would prefer a £20 note, instead of a £10 note.
Seriously, you don't see a pattern of behaviour here?

Ellianne Thu 24-Jun-21 17:39:33

May7

Does anyone know of any school that is actually going to do this? I've asked several parents today including my own AC (teachers) and they have all laughed smile especially, I might add, when they heard Ester Mcvey was involved.

I asked my GD if she was doing anything special or different on Friday and she said "Yes we're making papier mache dinosaur eggs"
Sounds like fun to me

Not happening tomorrow in my GC's schools either.
Papier maché sounds like a good bet!

muffinthemoo Thu 24-Jun-21 17:22:32

Aepgirl

I have listened to the songs and watched the video - it’s a catchy tune and wonderful to see and hear children singing together. I think the sentiments are lovely, particularly in a world where there is so much hatred. But what chance have we of being one Britain if the Welsh and Scots don’t want to associate with the English?

I sometimes feel a foreigner in my own country, and have even been verbally abused for being white!

What’s that sound…. Sounds like a dog whistle?

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Jun-21 16:37:05

*Lin52 I fully agree with what you say. I'm Scottish and up here north of the border our children are being blatently indoctrinated by the SNP even in their school classrooms. It's an utter disgrace how they are allowed to go into primary schools under the disguise of 'friendly chats' and en
ourage small children to hate all things English*

Utter rubbish. This doesn't happen.

StoneofDestiny Thu 24-Jun-21 16:31:14

But what chance have we of being one Britain if the Welsh and Scots don’t want to associate with the English?

Who said the Scots and Welsh don't want to 'associate' with the English?
I am a Scot and want my nation to be an independent country. That does not mean I don't want to 'associate' with the people who are English, Welsh or Irish. Crikey!