Gransnet forums

News & politics

Martha Hancock

(217 Posts)
Sarnia Mon 28-Jun-21 10:16:08

I wish the media would leave this lady alone. Over the weekend she has been described as a private person and suffering from Long Covid after picking up the virus when her husband had it. After his revelations to her that his affair was about to be made public, her world must have been turned on its head. She has 3 children to care and support as well. It must be awful for her leaving her house to have cameras thrust in her face hoping to catch some emotion from the poor woman. Leave her be. Go and pester the ones responsible.

MawBe Mon 28-Jun-21 10:16:56

Hear, hear!

JaneJudge Mon 28-Jun-21 10:20:25

everyone agrees sad

henetha Mon 28-Jun-21 10:23:01

Absolutely.

Ellianne Mon 28-Jun-21 10:23:21

I dislike the word "humiliated" they use about her. She is not ashamed, she has not lost respect for herself. The more she comes out of that house looking pretty and with her head held high, the worse the other two look. I think she should carry on walking the dog, but the constant press intrusion is vile.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Jun-21 10:24:29

She's shown more dignity than either her philandering prat of a husband or his squeeze. I also feel very sorry for Oliver Tress; he's also got 3 young children to try to explain to as to why their mother is suddenly in every news headline across the country. Imagine what all 6 children are going through at school today. sad

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Jun-21 10:28:05

The fact that Hancock has not come out and said “leave her alone” speaks volumes.

But we honestly shouldn’t be surprised.

eazybee Mon 28-Jun-21 10:32:03

Why start a thread about her?

Caleo Mon 28-Jun-21 10:33:15

Gutter press!

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 10:33:29

Yes, leave her alone! We do not want to see pictures of her or any press hound asking her "how she feels".

Hancock and Coladangelo really do deserve each other.

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 10:34:11

eazybee

To show support?

Lucca Mon 28-Jun-21 10:34:28

eazybee

To show support ? Solidarity ?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Jun-21 10:37:50

I think those doorstepping her are deplorable.

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Jun-21 10:41:22

Ellianne

I dislike the word "humiliated" they use about her. She is not ashamed, she has not lost respect for herself. The more she comes out of that house looking pretty and with her head held high, the worse the other two look. I think she should carry on walking the dog, but the constant press intrusion is vile.

I totally agree Ellianne.
My heart goes out to her, and to Oliver Tress and their children.

Namsnanny Mon 28-Jun-21 10:44:32

eazybee

I presume you are concerned that this thread is doing the same as the news coverage?

As Lucca and others have said it's just support for her position, not intrusive or pushing her onto the world stage.

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 10:50:51

Ellianne

Quite right, Ellianne. She has done nothing wrong.

It is her philandering husband and his mistress who should feel humiliated.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Jun-21 10:54:19

The press cannot possibly justify their behaviour on the grounds of public interest - they need to back off.

It is interesting that this is where the press are focussing their prurient attention but they leave Gina's husband alone. Not that I want them to plague him too, but it seems unreasonable that Martha Hancock is the focus of all the attention.

The British press at its absolute worst.

maddyone Mon 28-Jun-21 10:54:47

Poor woman, I feel sorry for her. The press need to leave her alone, it’s unacceptable for them to hound her, and keep asking her how she feels. She has behaved with dignity.

glammanana Mon 28-Jun-21 11:00:29

Whitewavemark2

The fact that Hancock has not come out and said “leave her alone” speaks volumes.

But we honestly shouldn’t be surprised.

Totally agree WW2 such a weak man he would have been better thought off if he faced up to his actions and told reporters to leave his wife and children alone.
I wonder how many other Ministers are twitching in case they have been recorded in compromising actins with their staff.

glammanana Mon 28-Jun-21 11:01:57

^^ should read "actions" sorry

Grandmadinosaur Mon 28-Jun-21 11:08:44

My heart goes out to the poor woman and also to his children. So many lives now turned upside down just because a father/husband couldn’t keep it in his trousers.

Kali2 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:12:38

hear hear- the Press should be ashamed of itself. If you buy the papers that are harrassing her and those poor kids- you are part of this too.

Blossoming Mon 28-Jun-21 11:13:34

Completely agree OP.

Kali2 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:19:59

They only do it because it sells - so if you buy ...

GillT57 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:50:34

I think the affair is now a private matter for both families to work through in privacy. The concern for the rest of us was the hypocrisy, and now that he has resigned, finally, over that, the affair is not public concern. I do admit though, that I have a secret delight in thinking about other philandering ministers having a dreadful weekend wondering if they too have been filmed. There is rumoured to be another high profile individual whose sexual shenanigans are well known amongst political journalists. I hope he/she, and others are suffering agonies of worry.