Gransnet forums

News & politics

Martha Hancock

(218 Posts)
Sarnia Mon 28-Jun-21 10:16:08

I wish the media would leave this lady alone. Over the weekend she has been described as a private person and suffering from Long Covid after picking up the virus when her husband had it. After his revelations to her that his affair was about to be made public, her world must have been turned on its head. She has 3 children to care and support as well. It must be awful for her leaving her house to have cameras thrust in her face hoping to catch some emotion from the poor woman. Leave her be. Go and pester the ones responsible.

Callistemon Thu 01-Jul-21 00:11:04

Seek and ye shall find
ie all the trolling nastiness out there from the few.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Jun-21 23:21:19

Correct!

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 23:07:57

Lucca

Chewbacca

I saw the issue about the little girl who was weeping during the match on Mumsnet; I have nothing to do with Twatter. As was said on Mumsnet, the vile tweet was just the single one and was roundly condemned by the vast majority of other Twatter users as being "crass, vile, unacceptable and cruel". So, whilst yes, the incident did occur, it wasn't the majority, and it was condemned. Proportion in all things.

I rather like your typo……

No typo I suspect grin

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 23:01:25

What you might call “contributory negligence” ? You couldn’t make it up.
Look it’s late Kali2 - I am sure you didn’t mean that - at least I hope you didn’t!

Lucca Wed 30-Jun-21 23:01:01

Chewbacca

I saw the issue about the little girl who was weeping during the match on Mumsnet; I have nothing to do with Twatter. As was said on Mumsnet, the vile tweet was just the single one and was roundly condemned by the vast majority of other Twatter users as being "crass, vile, unacceptable and cruel". So, whilst yes, the incident did occur, it wasn't the majority, and it was condemned. Proportion in all things.

I rather like your typo……

lemongrove Wed 30-Jun-21 22:48:23

Responsible for marrying a cheating weasel Kali.....I have heard everything now.Dear oh dear.

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 22:46:36

Kali2

The point I tried to make, is that The Press and Social Media can be very cruel- in very many different ways. Martha Hancock is innocent, and yet, to some extent, she is sort of responsible for marrying a cheating weasel- a little girl cannot in any way, shape or form, be 'responsible' for being born German and wanting to support her National team, and her emotions getting the better of her. I did apologise for this being a 'digression'.

I really don’t get this tenuous connection.

For me, the crucial factor is the role of social media which by definition feeds on being spread by individuals, - tweeted, retweeted, posted on FB, MN and now on GN
It is pernicious and everybody who repeats or spreads a “story” is part of the process.
With traditional media, remember the old adage that today’s sensation is tomorrow’s chip wrapping.

Kali2 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:36:09

GrannyGravy13

Kali2 who you follow on Twitter determines what you see, if you think pointing out this fact is rude…

If you took the trouble to read my posts, I said that I am not on Twitter- but that this was reported to me by a friend, who is definitely not the 'wrong calibre'.

Kali2 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:34:11

The point I tried to make, is that The Press and Social Media can be very cruel- in very many different ways. Martha Hancock is innocent, and yet, to some extent, she is sort of responsible for marrying a cheating weasel- a little girl cannot in any way, shape or form, be 'responsible' for being born German and wanting to support her National team, and her emotions getting the better of her. I did apologise for this being a 'digression'.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Jun-21 22:30:50

What does it have to do with Martha Hancock, though?

Dunno Doodledog, I can't understand the connection to the OP either. Reading back it seems to have been kali2 that brought it into the discussion at 16.32 today. Doesn't seem to connect with MH.

Doodledog Wed 30-Jun-21 22:23:10

I don't understand why people seem to be picking up on everything Kali2 posts, but it is unedifying to say the least.

I saw a report of the German girl incident on the Jeremy Vine (TV) show this morning, so discussion of it has spread beyond social media and 'the wrong kind of people'. Poor little thing - it was quite shameful, but it was condemned. What does it have to do with Martha Hancock, though?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:46:50

Thank you Chewbacca I have been researching whilst doing other things and that is what I have found. Social media is not known for keeping things in proportion.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Jun-21 20:41:25

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:34:44

Kali2 who you follow on Twitter determines what you see, if you think pointing out this fact is rude…

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 20:22:38

Kali2

Maw ''I have seen plenty of comments regarding her patriotism and sadness, perhaps you just look in the wrong places/follow the wrong calibre of people?''

how can you not be aware, when this comment was just a little above yours? And yes, GG it is rude, very.

No I didn’t see it when I commented- crossed posts? Perhaps mine took too long to appear or even to write , the penalty of keeping one eye on Wimbledon .
But no I neither made it nor saw it at the time.

Kali2 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:18:12

Maw ''I have seen plenty of comments regarding her patriotism and sadness, perhaps you just look in the wrong places/follow the wrong calibre of people?''

how can you not be aware, when this comment was just a little above yours? And yes, GG it is rude, very.

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 19:31:01

Thank you
All easy enough for me to avoid!

Galaxy Wed 30-Jun-21 19:29:01

Sorry if I wasnt quick enough for you. I have seen it on Twitter, MN and on football discussion boards.

lemongrove Wed 30-Jun-21 19:22:58

In any case Kali what on earth does it have to do with the thread ( answer: nothing) .
Tell your friend to stay off twitter, she will be happier as a result.

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 19:10:20

Kali2

It was reported to me from Twitter by a great friend who is certainly NOT 'the wrong calibre of people' - how rude. It has now been picked up by the main Press, and just read an article on the subject in the Independent. The comments were vile- why would you deny this without knowing the facts.?

Has anybody denied anybody was being truthful? ?
What is meant by “facts” - What actually happened? What the medium reported? Or the spin put on it?
Facts can be difficult to discern.
I am not aware the “calibre of anybody ” was called into question either.
I asked Galaxy a simple question which nobody seems willing or able to answer.
What constitutes all over the internet ?
Too much hearsay seems to feature in this type of outrage. “Somebody told me”, “a friend said” “it is all over the internet” or “people say”
It is also possible to ignore secondhand accounts of all the dreadful things somebody has seen on Twitter.
Has anybody seen the “Spitting Image” Twitter Song?
It highlights how ridiculous it can be - toxic at worst.

m.facebook.com/SpittingImage/videos/the-twitter-song-spitting-image/1827322430766016/?extid=SEO----

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 19:08:32

Kali2

It was reported to me from Twitter by a great friend who is certainly NOT 'the wrong calibre of people' - how rude. It has now been picked up by the main Press, and just read an article on the subject in the Independent. The comments were vile- why would you deny this without knowing the facts.?

I am on Twitter and none of these vile comments have appeared in my timeline.

I follow numerous people of all political persuasions.

I may be many things but I can assure you that rude is not one of them!

Kali2 Wed 30-Jun-21 18:56:14

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 18:27:45

Galaxy

That story has been all over the internet, it didnt need any digging up.

It was a serious question Galaxy - where do you mean by all over the internet ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 18:20:57

Kali2

Apologies for digression - but I truly feel sorry for this little girl:

'some deeply disgusting individuals are sharing a picture of a German little girl crying at the football, with mocking and sick comments, including pictures of Jimmy Saville.'

I am not sure where you have seen mocking and sick comments regarding the young German girl crying?

I have seen plenty of comments regarding her patriotism and sadness, perhaps you just look in the wrong places/follow the wrong calibre of people?

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 18:05:43

Galaxy

That story has been all over the internet, it didnt need any digging up.

So when somebody says, as you have “All over the internet “ where exactly do you mean?
I subscribe to three papers online the DT, The Times and the Guardian , I sometimes look at the BBC website, I look at GN and I look at FB where I only see what “friends” have posted.
I am not being “head in the sand”, but I had not seen that particular item of garbage anywhere and do not regard myself as any poorer for it.