Gransnet forums

News & politics

Decent MPs - who do you rate?

(124 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 22-Jul-21 18:14:55

Hi everyone
Just listening to my MP Margaret Beckett speaking on LBC.
I’ve got so much respect for her.
Who do you have time for?

GagaJo Thu 22-Jul-21 21:18:12

Jeremy Corbyn, Diane Abbott and yes, I think Starmer as an MP is OK. Not so sure he's leadership quality. I used to approve of Ian Lavery, but have heard of too much financial dishonesty about him locally.

Grammaretto Thu 22-Jul-21 21:32:29

My own MP is genuine enough and votes for the right things but I can't imagine him as a leader at Westminster but being SNP, chief whip, he probably wouldn't want to.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 21:53:57

I’ve actually written to Andrew Mitchell and David Davis recently to thank them for things they’ve said about foreign aid and state schools. I did have to lie down in a dark room to recover afterwards though. And, of course, Dawn Butler is hero of the day/week/month/year in my book at the moment.

Patsy70 Thu 22-Jul-21 22:05:03

Jess Phillips has my vote.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 22-Jul-21 22:09:07

Yvette Cooper absolutely. Keith Starmer and bring back Andy Burnham. Jess Philips is good too. No one on the Tory benches I’m afraid.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 22-Jul-21 22:09:34

Keir Starmer!

Eloethan Thu 22-Jul-21 23:17:38

I like Jeremy Corbyn. I also like Richard Burgon, Dawn Butler and, with some reservations, Lisa Nandy.

Coconut Fri 23-Jul-21 11:13:05

????? fannycornforth ..... politicians that you have time for, you are funny !!

Paperbackwriter Fri 23-Jul-21 11:13:37

Soroptimum

Absolutely Jess Phillips. She is brilliant, and a champion against domestic violence. I follow her on Twitter.

I agree. Jess is brilliant. I also follow her on Twitter.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Jul-21 11:15:53

My MP Peter Kylie is an excellent constituent MP. He replies to every email within hours and is always on top of his brief. Hard working and reliable.

GrammarGrandma Fri 23-Jul-21 11:23:51

Grany That's my list too. Not Jess Phillips.

maddyone Fri 23-Jul-21 11:27:07

Not my MP but I really like Lisa Nandy. On the other side, also not my MP, I like Sajid Javid. I would vote for either of these.

Blinko Fri 23-Jul-21 11:28:11

It seems there are a good number of constituency MPs who know what they in Parliament for and do a good job. These stalwarts are let down by the antics of the few we hear about most often at the moment. I'm thinking people who've already been mentioned plus Ed Milliband, Jonathan Ashworth, Diane Abbot, Jeremy Hunt.

The present cabinet and hangers on seem to be doing their best to prove the old adage that all power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Blinko Fri 23-Jul-21 11:29:02

Sorry that was a bit muddled. The second sentence and the third should be transposed to make sense...

Soroptimum Fri 23-Jul-21 11:33:01

Just heard that Jess Phillips will be on the radio on the Jeremy Vine show today as she has written a book about politics.

hugaby Fri 23-Jul-21 11:33:57

I believe MPs can't call another MP a liar (in the House) they have to use phrases such as 'being economical with the truth'. Bizarre!

tigger Fri 23-Jul-21 11:43:36

The old guard have been booted upstairsi.e. Ken Clarke, Haseltine, John Major. There isn't one at the moment I would support.

Emelle Fri 23-Jul-21 11:51:09

I have a lot of respect for Andrew Gwynne, who is one of the MPs in Greater Manchester. He is interested in a cause close to my heart and always comes across as honest, caring and hard working. I wish I could say the same for my own smug self serving MP.

avitorl Fri 23-Jul-21 11:55:22

I think Keir Starmer seems intelligent,sensible,calm and definitely a relief from the idiocy of Boris Johnson.

poshpaws Fri 23-Jul-21 11:58:44

Nicola Sturgeon - very intelligent, has the answers straight off the cuff as she's really on top of her game. She also genuinely cares about Scotland.

Dawn Butlar - not afraid to challenge the rules when they need to be challenged, and very forthright, no mistaking her meaning when she speaks.

Mhairi Black - another who knows her job, cares for her country and doesn't pull her punches.

Patrick Harvie who shares a lot of my convictions, and is just a thoroughly decent guy.

Aepgirl Fri 23-Jul-21 12:10:43

As I think GN is getting far too political, I refuse to comment.

Newgran59 Fri 23-Jul-21 12:15:09

I still see Ed Davey as an honest politician, met him a few times when I lived in Kingston. Agree re Jess Phillips, hope she stays the course.

nanna8 Fri 23-Jul-21 12:23:20

Monnie Grabbin is a strong and popular force in parliament.

kwest Fri 23-Jul-21 12:27:43

At this moment disenchanted with all of them having read that they are being granted an above inflation raise yet again. How can they possibly justify it?

Barrygirl Fri 23-Jul-21 12:28:32

It's the women who are leading the way in honesty and integrity. I really rate Zarah Sultana - I so wish she were party leader - along with Dawn Butler and Caroline Lucas of course.