Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does Briton have a moral duty to take in as many Afghan refugees as possible?

(347 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-Aug-21 07:10:02

Other countries are doing so.

I think that yes we do have a moral duty.

Grandma70s Mon 16-Aug-21 07:18:10

So do I.

Grandmabatty Mon 16-Aug-21 07:25:44

Absolutely. Those poor people.

growstuff Mon 16-Aug-21 07:33:57

Yes, especially the ones who helped as interpreters etc. Their lives are in real danger.

DillytheGardener Mon 16-Aug-21 07:34:40

Another yes here too. Seeing the videos at the airports of desperate Afghanis trying to leave broke my heart. All those poor families.

Blinko Mon 16-Aug-21 07:37:51

We do of course. Whether that will be taken into account when people turn up on our shores in dinghies is another matter...

Zoejory Mon 16-Aug-21 07:39:36

Of course.

Froglady Mon 16-Aug-21 07:39:47

growstuff

Yes, especially the ones who helped as interpreters etc. Their lives are in real danger.

I second that.

mokryna Mon 16-Aug-21 07:43:22

If countries don’t take the families who have helped them for the last twenty years, they will be killed.

M0nica Mon 16-Aug-21 07:53:09

yes

Pammie1 Mon 16-Aug-21 07:53:48

Yep, moral obligation. That there should have been any doubt about offering refuge to the interpreters and others who have helped the armed forces, is unthinkable.

Galaxy Mon 16-Aug-21 08:12:06

Yes.

Polarbear2 Mon 16-Aug-21 08:13:23

Yes.

Sara1954 Mon 16-Aug-21 08:14:05

Yes, absolutely yes.
We must do everything we can.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Aug-21 08:20:17

Laurie Bristow our British Ambassador in Afghanistan has remained at Kabul
Airport and is continuing to issue visas to U.K. for Afghani’s.

Lincslass Mon 16-Aug-21 08:45:54

I would suggest 20000 the same as Canada, who have a population half the size of ours,. Of course ours is increasing daily due to Channel crossings, including Afghans, and the arrival of interpreters and their families in June. Brave man our Ambassador, while everyone, including the Afghan army and the President ,is running away, he stays to help others. Realism not emotion is needed here.

Sarnia Mon 16-Aug-21 08:47:38

The situation is far worse than it was before Blair and Bush intervened. I cannot see any country sending their troops in to fight the Taliban yet again. The best we can do is help the poor innocents who are having to flee from such a brutal regime. A previous poster mentions them arriving on dinghies. I hope we have a lot more compassion for them than that.

Ailidh Mon 16-Aug-21 08:54:16

Yes.

I know there have been other situations that triggered it for other people but for me the Afghan situation is the one that makes me downright ashamed of my country's political leaders.

MaizieD Mon 16-Aug-21 08:59:07

Of course we should. With no reservations.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Aug-21 09:00:23

Ailidh

Yes.

I know there have been other situations that triggered it for other people but for me the Afghan situation is the one that makes me downright ashamed of my country's political leaders.

There are U.K. troops alongside US and Allied Troops keeping the Military side of Kabul Airport operational, they are processing evacuees round the clock.

The Defence Secretary has been giving interviews this morning, very interesting to listen to.

Lillie Mon 16-Aug-21 09:09:28

yes

Pammie1 Mon 16-Aug-21 09:10:08

Just looking at the news now and the horrific scenes at the airport in Kabul. They’re now reporting that despite best efforts they don’t expect to be able to evacuate all the interpreters and others at risk, in time. The situation seems to be getting more desperate by the hour. Surely those who have helped the armed forces and are now at terrible risk should have been protected/relocated before the withdrawal began.

If this is how it’s ended, what have we been fighting for since more or less the beginning of the century ? The Taliban have taken over at breakneck speed and Afghanistan will once more be a safe haven for terrorist organisations, putting us all at risk once more. Isn’t this what we were meant to stop ?

westendgirl Mon 16-Aug-21 09:16:51

There is only one answer to the question posed ,YES.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Aug-21 09:27:34

Pammie1

Just looking at the news now and the horrific scenes at the airport in Kabul. They’re now reporting that despite best efforts they don’t expect to be able to evacuate all the interpreters and others at risk, in time. The situation seems to be getting more desperate by the hour. Surely those who have helped the armed forces and are now at terrible risk should have been protected/relocated before the withdrawal began.

If this is how it’s ended, what have we been fighting for since more or less the beginning of the century ? The Taliban have taken over at breakneck speed and Afghanistan will once more be a safe haven for terrorist organisations, putting us all at risk once more. Isn’t this what we were meant to stop ?

The footage on TV is the Commercial side of the Airport, the Military side is operational and protected. This is where they are issuing visas to people and evacuating them out of Afghanistan.

I think that the Commercial side is now closed.

(source U.K. defence Secretary)

Granmarderby10 Mon 16-Aug-21 09:33:48

Yes, absolutely.