Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does Briton have a moral duty to take in as many Afghan refugees as possible?

(348 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-Aug-21 07:10:02

Other countries are doing so.

I think that yes we do have a moral duty.

Pammie1 Mon 16-Aug-21 09:34:57

It’s not so much the footage - I appreciate that the scenes are of civilians trying to leave the country. Nevertheless the opinion seems to be that not all those who will be perceived as collaborators will be able to leave.

Grammaretto Mon 16-Aug-21 09:36:30

Yes

nanna8 Mon 16-Aug-21 09:39:05

Yes they do and so do we. Problem is getting them out and away.

Lincslass Mon 16-Aug-21 09:40:22

Sarnia

The situation is far worse than it was before Blair and Bush intervened. I cannot see any country sending their troops in to fight the Taliban yet again. The best we can do is help the poor innocents who are having to flee from such a brutal regime. A previous poster mentions them arriving on dinghies. I hope we have a lot more compassion for them than that.

It was me, and yes I have. Just saying how it has been. Doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a better way. My point, and allowed, isn’t it.

mumofmadboys Mon 16-Aug-21 09:42:49

Yes, definitely

lemongrove Mon 16-Aug-21 09:45:13

growstuff

Yes, especially the ones who helped as interpreters etc. Their lives are in real danger.

Absolutely.
We have already settled over 2,000 here and more would have followed ( probably impossible now) given the timeframe that the Americans set for leaving , resulting in this mad scramble to get out.
The hope is for them that they manage to leave the country by getting into Pakistan, but it will be terribly hard for them to do this.

Antonia Mon 16-Aug-21 09:47:11

Yes.

lemongrove Mon 16-Aug-21 09:48:47

Lincslass

I would suggest 20000 the same as Canada, who have a population half the size of ours,. Of course ours is increasing daily due to Channel crossings, including Afghans, and the arrival of interpreters and their families in June. Brave man our Ambassador, while everyone, including the Afghan army and the President ,is running away, he stays to help others. Realism not emotion is needed here.

Yes, Laurie Bristow is a brave man, he is keeping our Embassy open in Kabul along with a very small staff....well done to them all.

henetha Mon 16-Aug-21 09:50:49

Yes, we absolutely must do what we can to help these people.
It's a terrible situation.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Aug-21 10:34:29

This is Laurie Bristow, still at the Military end of Kabul Airport processing visas and assisting those in need.

Some Germany Embassy officials are also there.

toscalily Mon 16-Aug-21 10:36:31

Yes we do.

glammanana Mon 16-Aug-21 10:47:33

Yes we must help all we can

Chewbacca Mon 16-Aug-21 10:58:03

The UK will waive border rules to allow Afghan asylum seekers to flee the Taliban to Britain without a passport, the Defence Secretary has announced.

Ben Wallace said the Government wanted to make it easier for interpreters and contractors who supported Western forces to seek asylum in the UK, as diplomatic staff and civilians rush to evacuate Kabul.

Namsnanny Mon 16-Aug-21 10:59:03

I cant see any reason why not.

GillT57 Mon 16-Aug-21 11:02:21

Chewbacca

^The UK will waive border rules to allow Afghan asylum seekers to flee the Taliban to Britain^ without a passport, the Defence Secretary has announced.

Ben Wallace said the Government wanted to make it easier for interpreters and contractors who supported Western forces to seek asylum in the UK, as diplomatic staff and civilians rush to ^evacuate Kabul.^

As it should be. If we care enough to put troops into a country, we should then help citizens escape if it falls. I am glad to see a glimmer of decency in this, and hope that someone slaps down the predictable nonsense from Farage et al.

Esspee Mon 16-Aug-21 11:13:45

It is a disgrace that those whose lives would be in danger from helping us have not been resettled long before now. I am unsure whether we would lay ourselves open to importing terrorists by taking huge numbers of refugees but if it was my decision every woman and child would be offered a safe country away from the barbarism now descending on them.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-Aug-21 11:33:09

I wonder if women and children ought to be given priority?

JaneJudge Mon 16-Aug-21 11:43:54

Yes. Those poor people sad

MiniMoon Mon 16-Aug-21 11:46:39

Of course we do. This is a terrible situation, all help should be given to the interpreters, their families and women and children.
We did it for the Ugandan Asians. I remember helping to furnish two houses in the little town I lived in.
We did it then, we can do it again.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-Aug-21 11:52:35

Yes,
...and not just those who have helped us as interpreters etc.
You could now argue that virtually every woman and young boy is a potential refugee - but I doubt even a fraction will actually get out.

choughdancer Mon 16-Aug-21 11:56:39

Yes. And why wasn't this planned and/or done before this stage? The US and UK administrations seem to have been sleepwalking.

PippaZ Mon 16-Aug-21 12:05:53

Of course. I want no weasle words on this from our current government.

Aparently they have now agreed to take the Afghan Chevening scholars who were promised places earlier this year. Well done those who campaigned on this.

Newatthis Mon 16-Aug-21 12:24:06

Who would say no to this? My concern is where will we put them. Our schools are full, council housing availability is at an all time low, the NHS is on its knees and there are huge staff shortages with those who are dealing with immigration. We cannot compare ourselves to other countries as far a numbers are concerned as we are a small island with a high population, so to say that we should take the same number as Canada, which is a huge county, is unrealistic.

GillT57 Mon 16-Aug-21 13:49:24

Newatthis

Who would say no to this? My concern is where will we put them. Our schools are full, council housing availability is at an all time low, the NHS is on its knees and there are huge staff shortages with those who are dealing with immigration. We cannot compare ourselves to other countries as far a numbers are concerned as we are a small island with a high population, so to say that we should take the same number as Canada, which is a huge county, is unrealistic.

All of this, the shortage of social housing, state education provision, NHS, border control etc., every bloody area with a shortage is down to political decisions, to austerity and as such, is unnecessary and trotted out time after time, of course we can take people, of course we can house them, feed them educate them. We are giving sanctuary to 3m Hong Kong Chinese, free permits to however many Indian citizens want it so we can certainly find room for a few thousand Afghan refugees. This crowded island nonsense really irritates me. If we as a country were bothered enough about Afghan people to bomb their country, then we must give them refuge. The money not spent on arms will go a long way towards it for a start.

eazybee Mon 16-Aug-21 13:52:48

Oh, Newatthis what a sensible post; we are a small country, overcrowded and our support services are strained to the limit.
We have played our part in Nato, which is more than many countries have done.