Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fingers crossed for Pen Farthing and Nowzad

(486 Posts)
Maudi Wed 25-Aug-21 09:09:13

Afghanistan: Fresh hope for ex-Marine Pen Farthing's bid to rescue 200 dogs and cats from Kabul
The defence secretary says Pen Farthing, his staff and the animals will now be able to leave on the chartered aircraft.
Wednesday 25 August 2021 07:40, UK

Anyone else rooting for Pen and his animals ?

Zoejory Sat 04-Sep-21 11:18:22

I'm with you all the way, LondonMkFitz.

I hope that life improves for you.

I'm another Nowzad donor and have been a regular donor for about 8 years now.

This isn't about people or animals. I'm sure most people understand this.

There are many people in the world who feel great empathy for animals. This is an interesting article as to how a group of people felt with a human/animal dilemma

www.betterhelp.com/advice/love/people-who-love-animals-more-than-people-psychology-of-empathy/

We see people putting their own lives at risk to save their pets. To save other people's pets. To save wildlife.

My rather aged husband was dangling from an overhanging branch to save a gosling which had got its foot (what is a gosling's foot called?) tangled in a fishing hook. Why did he do this? The pond was rather fetid and DH is no spring chicken and he also had beige trousers on. Which ended up being binned.

Humans like/love animals.

JaneJudge Sat 04-Sep-21 11:29:02

nightowl

I’m new to this thread but I’m shocked by some of the posts made by those who profess to care more about people than animals. All I can say is, it doesn’t show.

I think people forget there are real people the other side of the screen. I even see it on facebook where people have a go at 'friends' and type things they'd never say to that person's face sad

Callistemon Sat 04-Sep-21 11:34:48

Humans like/love animals.

Most do, sadly some do not.

However, feeling compassion for animals does not mean a person does not feel compassion for another human being, especially a small child nor is the converse true.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

LondonMkFitz I hope you can find a place of your own soon and perhaps adopt a rescue dog. It won't replace the hole left by the loss your other dog (they always have a special place) but it should help.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 11:36:35

However, feeling compassion for animals does not mean a person does not feel compassion for another human being,

And vice versa.

And if there is nothing one can personally do for the child, but one can do something for the animal, then one should do it.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Sep-21 19:23:10

The Staff are now all safe in Islamabad, Pakistan, Pen Farthing has just confirmed.

JaneJudge Sat 11-Sep-21 19:30:46

GrannyGravy13

The Staff are now all safe in Islamabad, Pakistan, Pen Farthing has just confirmed.

Thank you for the update, that is good news smile

Alegrias1 Sat 11-Sep-21 19:32:32

That's great news GG13, thank you for posting.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Sep-21 19:50:30

I should be packing, instead I am scrolling Twitter…. don’t tell DH

Callistemon Sat 11-Sep-21 19:57:11

Good news, GrannyGravy

Whatdayisit Sun 12-Sep-21 13:08:20

That is great news. I hope they can all move forward and continue their hard work the best way they can.