Gransnet forums

News & politics

Geronimo

(104 Posts)
westendgirl Tue 31-Aug-21 12:55:35

I know that this is not huge in the scheme of things but it is news. Have just heard that Geronimo has been killed. I don't understand why DEFRA were unwilling to do a different test seeing that other people had reported that post mortem reports on their animals had shown negative.

Zoejory Thu 09-Sep-21 13:01:44

Blossoming

Please read the article in your link and not just the inaccurate headline. It is the animal’s owner that has claimed he did not have TB. DEFRA have not yet published the test results. They have confirmed that a number of lesions were found and test results are not yet available.

I did read the article.

These lesions are being tested but the results won't be known until December at earliest.

Lawyers acting for Helen Macdonald have said the preliminary gross postmortem findings, reviewed by veterinary surgeons, are negative for visible lesions typical of bovine tuberculosis (TB)

However, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said a number of TB-like lesions were found in Geronimo and will be further investigated, adding the full postmortem results will not be concluded until the end of the year.

It's not a good result for Defra and they know it. I have to deal with them far more than I'd like to.

Callistemon Thu 09-Sep-21 13:09:46

So, to sum it up: Preliminary findings are inconclusive and TB-like lesions were found which require further investigation. That will take some time, probably to be concluded by the end of 2021.
Her lawyers claim that no TB-like lesions were visible.

Contradictory statements then?

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Sep-21 13:15:49

This is the link to the DEFRA info as of yesterday regarding this animal:
deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/09/08/geronimo-the-tb-positive-alpaca-initial-post-mortem-results/

They basically say they have taken samples of lesions for growth and analysis. They also say it can take a long time for lesions to develop.
And they say TB is slow-growing. This is why they expect to have results by the end of the year.