Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Boris Johnson will break his manifesto pledge not to increase National Insurance in order to pay for social care in England?

(204 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 03-Sep-21 12:33:00

It seems he may well do under plans that are the subject of negotiations between Downing Street and the Treasury.

It seems Downing Street wants a 1 per cent increase (because then they would only be putting up National Insurance by the same amount as Tony Blair back in 2002) while the Treasury wants 1.25 per cent (because that would raise more money). [New Statesman]

Currently, you will have your care (to the grave) paid for if you have less than £23,250 in assets. It appears the cap is to rise to £100,000: making many more people eligible for residential care.

One way or another Government will break its manifesto promise to leave National Insurance, value-added tax and income tax flat or falling. With their majority, it will pass the House of Commons. Of course, they will explain that this is NI in the hope that enough people do not realise that NI is a tax like any other.

I don't know about anyone else thinks, but if this is what they chose to do, isn't it very like TM's "death tax".

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 14:58:34

I'm not sure that NI has ever been ring-fenced for specific purposes. It exists as a separate figure on balance sheets, but it's always gone into Treasury funds. If there's a shortfall or a surplus, the Treasury makes up the difference or notes the surplus on the balance sheet and spends it elsewhere.

Lincslass Income tax and national insurance don't make up the majority of the Treasury's income. There are loads of forms of taxation in the UK, which everybody pays almost every single day. It's a huge mistake to think of taxation only in terms of income tax. The government knows people do that, which is why it's a policy to keep the headline figure low, while raising money elsewhere.

Dinahmo Fri 03-Sep-21 16:20:33

growstuff maybe no one in your family has needed social care but they may have had medical treatment that is expensive. As you say, it's insurance.

PippaZ Fri 03-Sep-21 17:35:22

www.npcuk.org/post/ni-rise-not-enough-to-cover-social-care-crisis

Statement from Jan Shortt, the General Secretary of the National Pensioners Convention commented:

The percentage increase in National Insurance - whatever the government decides - will not deal with the crisis in social care, or replace funding lost by the NHS.

Capping the cost of care will not make inroads into what is a grossly underfunded system. It also goes against the PM's statement that nobody would have to sell their houses to pay for care. In fact it will drive more into the arms of equity release companies.

Only radical change to a National Care Service funded by taxation, free at the point of need for everyone, will bring a publicly accountable service.

As it stands there are still questions over how much of the NI or tax raised from this increase will actually go towards the struggling care sector, as the government seeks to cover the costs of playing catch up with the NHS waiting lists.

Over 10 years of funding cuts to the NHS and care has left both services in crisis. The spending priorities of the government are not in tune with the needs of the population.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 18:18:11

Dinahmo

growstuff maybe no one in your family has needed social care but they may have had medical treatment that is expensive. As you say, it's insurance.

I know. It's seems we've been lucky. The point I was making is that I don't mind paying for others to have social care, even though nobody in my family has needed it and it's probable I won't either (most people don't).

I still think that the cost should be spread over the whole population via general taxation and not just a relatively small section. National Insurance is just about the most regressive of all taxes (apart possibly from council tax) because it's only paid by working people below pension age and the lowest earners pay a higher percentage than the highest earners.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 18:20:46

PS. I do draw the line at paying for social care just so people can inherit multi-million estates from deceased relatives.

Nanna58 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:47:36

Growstuff, if most people don’t need Social Care why is there such a vast bill to pay for it?

Dinahmo Fri 03-Sep-21 20:03:04

growstuff

PS. I do draw the line at paying for social care just so people can inherit multi-million estates from deceased relatives.

I agree with that.

Doodledog Fri 03-Sep-21 20:06:06

Nanna58

Growstuff, if most people don’t need Social Care why is there such a vast bill to pay for it?

That's a good question.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 20:09:24

Nanna58

Are you disputing that most people don't need social care? It's a documented fact that they don't.

The reason there's a vast bill is because it's expensive and people haven't been paying enough - certainly in the UK. The situation is different in some other countries, where a social care tax is paid.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Sep-21 20:10:51

Dinahmo

growstuff

I agree with that.

Me too.

welbeck Fri 03-Sep-21 20:12:31

because it is privatised, and those care companies exist to make profit.
if it was organised as a national care service, with proper training and career progression, standard recognised qualifications, many economies of scale could be made.
also increasing numbers of people need care due to frailty or disability, the population is living longer on average, and fewer families are able to do the care needed.

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 20:20:14

The threshold of need to qualify for state funded social care is very high and rising because of inadequate funding, which I think is why only a small percentage of people receive it. however that doesn’t mean thousands more don’t need it - they and their families and friends/neighbours find ways of providing it instead, or not in which case people live in squalor, don’t eat, etc.

DillytheGardener Fri 03-Sep-21 20:21:40

Doodledog I disagree with you, our generation are the boomer generation, so that ‘boom’ means that the younger generation, of which there was a contraction in numbers, will have to pay more comparatively than we had to, to pay for our care and medical needs.
We have a greater voting block so vote for governments that suit our needs not theirs, houses, education everything is much more expensive with wages comparatively lower. My old job that I was made redundant from at the beginning of the lockdown, the wages for new hires (pre pandemic) was significantly lower than for what colleagues were paid who started fifteen years to a decade ago, and inflation has gone up since then.
These reasons were part of the overall reasons my sons left, including brexit, and both have said from what they have seen from the U.K. gov since they left if has confirmed they made the right decision.

I do wish the conservatives hadn’t pissed away billions on their mates companies during the pandemic so that young people and working families didn’t have to pay more for our care.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 21:03:54

Casdon

The threshold of need to qualify for state funded social care is very high and rising because of inadequate funding, which I think is why only a small percentage of people receive it. however that doesn’t mean thousands more don’t need it - they and their families and friends/neighbours find ways of providing it instead, or not in which case people live in squalor, don’t eat, etc.

How does that justify not paying for social care out of taxation?

I agree with fixing the social care system, but to do that taxes need to increase - across the board, not just for people of working age with a disproportionate burden on the lower earners.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 21:05:21

welbeck

because it is privatised, and those care companies exist to make profit.
if it was organised as a national care service, with proper training and career progression, standard recognised qualifications, many economies of scale could be made.
also increasing numbers of people need care due to frailty or disability, the population is living longer on average, and fewer families are able to do the care needed.

Yes, it needs fixing and proper financing with the burden borne by everybody.

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 21:12:21

? growstuff I didn’t say the fact that social care is capped because of the threshold being so high justified it not being paid for out of taxation.

Doodledog Fri 03-Sep-21 22:00:37

Casdon

Whilst I am more than happy to pay more tax and/or NI towards a fairer care system, I hope that when we see the detail of this scheme, whatever it is, it will be made clear that there will be no postcode lottery when it comes to allocation of places in care homes, and that there won't be lots of people waiting so long to get care that they end up paying as much as many have to do now.

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 22:11:57

I don’t see how the government could prevent a postcode lottery Doodledog, as social care is not directly their responsibility, it’s under the remit of local authorities, who have the unenviable task of allocating ever diminishing budgets across the whole range of services they provide.

Doodledog Fri 03-Sep-21 22:50:16

No, I know.

It would be better if social care were centralised somehow. I'm not saying I know how it should be done, and obviously people want to be near loved ones which complicates things further, but the way things are now, it is people who live in wealthier council areas who get more services when arguably it should be the other way round.

I think it's only right that we should all pay more towards ensuring that there is care for those who need it, but someone needing care in one area should have the same chance as someone in another.

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 22:59:31

It’s very complicated for sure. In Wales you’re less likely to get social care if you live in a wealthy council area because the funding formula is based on deprivation so the councils is wealthier areas have less allocation, but that’s not fair either for those who do need it.
I’m not in favour of central government control, as they are too far removed to be able to make sure implementation is fair. Agreed eligibility criteria across the board would be a good start though.

Rosie51 Fri 03-Sep-21 23:00:06

Not wanting to sound flippant but franchises such as McDonald's seem able to provide a consistent product across all areas. It really shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to be able to centralise and provide a consistent level of care across the country, eliminating as far as is possible any postcode lottery. This should go for other areas of cradle to grave provision too. I hope BJ does go back on his manifesto, but I'd prefer income tax to rise rather than NI contributions, or bring in NI contributions for everybody, retired or not. Nobody should be exempt from paying a fair contribution for the good of all.

Doodledog Fri 03-Sep-21 23:22:47

I know what you mean, Rosie. The only way I can see that working would be if there was an entirely separate budget for care, though (and possibly for other areas of healthcare) which would get complicated, as there is a lot of crossover between clinical care and social care.

Even then, a centralised system could end up meaning that a patient from London got a place in a home in Wolverhampton (or similar), which would be counter-productive if they got no visitors as a result.

Rosie51 Fri 03-Sep-21 23:35:44

Doodledog I'm not for one minute pretending I'm clever enough to work it out, but I imagine there could/should be people who could smile There would be enormous problems to overcome, but if we don't try we'll never know if they could be overcome. I'm a great believer in "you don't truly fail until you stop trying". Let's try, if we fail so be it, we can look ourselves in the mirror knowing we did our best and failure is no shame if you've truly tried. Not you, but too many throw up their hands saying "it's impossible". Maybe it is, but if we don't try we'll never know. Steps down from soapbox......

growstuff Sat 04-Sep-21 00:02:15

Casdon

? growstuff I didn’t say the fact that social care is capped because of the threshold being so high justified it not being paid for out of taxation.

Ah! OK! In that case, I agree with you. I think the whole system needs a thorough overhaul.

vegansrock Sat 04-Sep-21 04:43:47

Didn’t the Labour Party suggest a rise in the top rate of income tax? That would be fairer, but oh no that’s too much like Communism the Tory media howled and that it would mean all our top earners would flee the country. N.I. Is not a fair tax , income tax would be fairer and I would like the Tory apologists to explain why they are not choosing that route. Could it be because their supporters would be shelling out more?