Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have discovered an advantage of Brexit

(174 Posts)
M0nica Sat 04-Sep-21 22:16:32

You get your passport stamped when you enter and leave EU countries.

Long ago in my youth, my passport were covered with entry and exit stamps, mostly Europe, a few more exotic. I was very proud of them. However in recent years, now I avoid air travel, my passport has gone its full life without any stamps in it.

But 10 days ago we went to France and my passport now has two stamps in it and will gather more, because we go there regularly. It will begin to look like a passport should.

mokryna Sun 05-Sep-21 18:12:21

MOnica. Did you drive over or fly?

M0nica Sun 05-Sep-21 22:38:56

mokryna. We travel by car and ferry, Brittany Ferries, Portsmouth to Caen because Portsmouth is just over an hour's drive away and motorway or dual carriageway for the whole journey bar the first mile. The situation is similar in France, Caen to our house is, again just over an hours drive, again mainly dual carriageway or motorway.

We did once do it by Eurostar. The journey, Folkestone - Calais was much shorter, but the road journey was much longer. Overall, the journey length was the same for both.

There is no convenient airport, Paris is probably the nearest and but we need a car to get about once we get there.

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Sep-21 00:55:46

If you need a bigger passport you can buy one at renewal.

From memory, I think a passport has 32 pages unless you get the big one which has 16 more.

M0nica Mon 06-Sep-21 08:36:47

Sadly, I doubt that will be necessary. We have had our French home for 30 years and as we approach 80, are beginning to think that we should sell it, before we kick the bucket or can no longer cope with it and our DC then have to deal withe clearing and selling that as well as our home in the UK.

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Sep-21 10:21:08

This was just in response to When the passport fills, I think you send it back and the passport agency add extra pages. M0nica. It wasn't intended to encourage you to fill it up! ?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 06-Sep-21 10:29:39

A high price to pay for just a stamp in your passport.

Ashcombe Mon 06-Sep-21 10:36:59

We did once do it by Eurostar. The journey, Folkestone - Calais was much shorter, but the road journey was much longer. Overall, the journey length was the same for both.

That journey would have been by Eurotunnel. Eurostar is a passenger service only from London to Paris, Bruxelles, etc. It does not convey vehicles.

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Sep-21 11:01:34

Barmeyoldbat

A high price to pay for just a stamp in your passport.

Exactly!
Unfortunately we (including M0nica) are struggling to find other benefits...

crazygranny Mon 06-Sep-21 11:21:10

The main advantage seems to have been to kill UKIP which was providing respectability to some of the most unpleasantly racist and xenophobic members of our society.

Philippa111 Mon 06-Sep-21 11:21:26

Lucky you! Sounds great. I wish I was Irish right now... or indeed from any other EU country. Brexit has not given us anything but a big mess and taken away so much. I won't get started otherwise this would be a very long post. Brexit is the biggest crime of the 21st century. One glimmer of hope is I'm in Scotland and we may get independence and a route back to the EU.

Froglady Mon 06-Sep-21 11:27:41

I know what you mean - I had a beautiful stamp from Bulgaria in my passport and something from Hungary as well. Maybe have some new ones next year as I'm off on a cruise to the Caribbean with 9 ports to visit.

annifrance Mon 06-Sep-21 11:42:58

Phillipa 111, so totally agree. it's giving us expats a nightmare here in France, although the French try to be kind. Driving Licences for a start - we applied for French ones nearly 3 years ago. After much binding in the marsh and toing and froing with La Poste and the Prefecture - nothing. I know find out that we have to apply on line and paper applications have been binned! French beaucracy yes, but wouldn't have happened without Brexit. Still waiting for our Carte de Sejour.

Phillipa don't rely on Scotland getting independence and returning to the EU. General opinion in Europe is that the EU would not allow it as so many EU countries are trying to fragment, such as Catalans in France/ Spain, Basques in France/Spain. Many regions in Italy et al. They hold up the example of the problems generated with the independence of Yugoslavian countries. Germany is about the only EU country that does not have this 'problem', and they have the upper hand in EU.

GranJan60 Mon 06-Sep-21 11:46:21

Can see absolutely NO advantages and I’m sorry that I can’t summon up any ancestors to enable me to get another passport. I am ashamed to be British. However, Brexit will result in more lorry parking in Kent!

Alegrias1 Mon 06-Sep-21 11:49:20

Phillipa don't rely on Scotland getting independence and returning to the EU. General opinion in Europe is that the EU would not allow it as so many EU countries are trying to fragment, such as Catalans in France/ Spain, Basques in France/Spain. Many regions in Italy et al. They hold up the example of the problems generated with the independence of Yugoslavian countries.

Is that right, aye?

Minerva Mon 06-Sep-21 11:55:17

My ex has to some extent redeemed himself by taking citizenship of his parents’ European homeland so that our children can follow suit and remain European. Their children will then be able to study anywhere in Europe should they so wish. I on the other hand am unfortunately 95% English but geography tells me I am European and so I will remain.

GillT57 Mon 06-Sep-21 12:09:21

Alegrias1

I read that Mantel wants to be European again, is baffled by the popularity of the monarchy and thinks the United Kingdom is an "artificial and precarious construct".

I like her ?

She also said

He has a much more complicated personality than the stereotyped ‘Brexiter/buffoon/etc.

She explained: “I have met him a number of times, in different settings.

I agree he is a complex personality, but this much is simple – he should not be in public life. And I am sure he knows it.

Says it all for me.

Northernlass Mon 06-Sep-21 12:10:51

All you frequent travellers out there:

I know I'm going to come across as a kill joy, for which I am not apologising, but are you really proud your choices to fly/travel miles and miles in a car etc have added to climate change?

GillT57 Mon 06-Sep-21 12:19:28

Northernlass

All you frequent travellers out there:

I know I'm going to come across as a kill joy, for which I am not apologising, but are you really proud your choices to fly/travel miles and miles in a car etc have added to climate change?

A few holidays are a mere bagatelle in comparison to the food miles that will be involved with food imports from NZ and Australia and USA etc., compared to a quick few miles over from the EU, so you know what? I didn't vote for this sh*t, I will however be impacted by other people's unwillingness to listen to experts vote, and now am being told by leavers on GN that all I need to do is gird my loins and be patriotic and learn to cook like a wartime housewife, so forgive me if I do take the odd holiday when I can.

4allweknow Mon 06-Sep-21 12:31:53

We may not be in the EU but the UK is still in Europe therefore we are still European.

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Sep-21 12:45:27

And, GillT57... why aren't you also being patriotic and taking holidays in the UK??
... that's what I want to know!

?

GillT57 Mon 06-Sep-21 12:49:37

NotSpaghetti

And, GillT57... why aren't you also being patriotic and taking holidays in the UK??
... that's what I want to know!

?

Actually, I am! Not due to being patriotic, more due to lack of energy to go through the covid19 vaccine/tests/queues at airports really. grin

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Sep-21 12:52:25

Oh Gill - you are indeed a model citizen after all!
grin

Petera Mon 06-Sep-21 12:57:40

Alegrias1

I read that Mantel wants to be European again, is baffled by the popularity of the monarchy and thinks the United Kingdom is an "artificial and precarious construct".

I like her ?

She actually achieved the impossible and made me feel a little sorry for Johnson when she wrote “I agree he is a complex personality, but this much is simple – he should not be in public life. And I am sure he knows it,”

Jackiest Mon 06-Sep-21 13:11:02

4allweknow

We may not be in the EU but the UK is still in Europe therefore we are still European.

Although the technical definition of European may be the physical location most people take it to mean much more than that.

usuallyright Mon 06-Sep-21 14:25:05

Why am I not surprised by the number of whingers who still wish to be over lorded by non-elected anti-British losers.
Especially as most of the whingers seem to have a poor knowledge of the English language.

ps. I am not deleting this one before sending.

Aufwiedershn Pet