Gransnet forums

News & politics

To those in the UK - government reshuffle

(104 Posts)
hazel93 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:34:24

Gavin Williamson sacked. That's made my day - totally incompetent in every post he has held.
Sudden thought - the next could be even worse - no, surely not.

Casdon Wed 15-Sep-21 17:53:58

I’m surprised you said that Sarnia - I was in the NHS too, and I thought Matt Hancock was much worse than Hunt, who at least made some attempt to understand how it worked. I think Hunt is more competent than the majority of the existing cabinet - not to say I like him, but he isn’t a puppet.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Sep-21 17:57:10

Liz Truss - Foreign Secretary. ????

vegansrock Wed 15-Sep-21 18:00:00

Mix up a box of snakes and you’ve still got a box of snakes.

lemongrove Wed 15-Sep-21 18:02:38

which particular box of snakes do you prefer vegans....Labour ones, Lib Dems, Greens? Perhaps a mixture of snakes??

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:08:54

Well. Truss has done so much travelling to obscure places desperately trying to get trade deals for the U.K. at least her knowledge of geography can only be better than Raab’s. Which isn’t saying much.

vegansrock Wed 15-Sep-21 21:19:57

lemongrove forget the labels this bunch have hardly got a brain cell to rub together. Williamson (aka Private Pike) was spectacularly dim , but is there no one better in the U.K. than Grant Shapps, fireplace salesman of the year, to be transport secretary? There have been Tory cabinets in the past with some intellectual weight behind them, but as for Liz Truss she’s a real lightweight when it comes to international diplomacy. Sigh.

PippaZ Wed 15-Sep-21 21:22:11

Very worried about "Justice" now. We have a very far-right government pushing even further right.

We have recently had more gerrymandering too.

You'll use First Past the Post more often now. Last night, the Telegraph reported that "losers can no longer win": the Government is amending the Elections Bill at the last minute to make you use First Past the Post for all mayoral and police and crime commissioner elections, starting in 2023.

[Source: Make Votes Matter]

They are doing everything they can to reduce democracy so democrats cannot get rid of them. I never thought I would see such days as this.

PippaZ Wed 15-Sep-21 21:30:13

Gove is basically Minister for Levelling Up. And this is the man who described Northerners as dirty and toothless. That will be fun then [rolls eyes]

Callistemon Wed 15-Sep-21 21:39:47

Lucca

Dinahmo

Just rad that Patel and Sunak keep their roles. Raab is the new justice secretary the 8th in 10 years. Doesn't say much for continuity.

He is also deputy PM. Why ???

To keep him onside?

Callistemon Wed 15-Sep-21 21:43:09

PippaZ

Gove is basically Minister for Levelling Up. And this is the man who described Northerners as dirty and toothless. That will be fun then [rolls eyes]

I expect he's gone out to buy some new bubbles for the spirit levels.

Calendargirl Wed 15-Sep-21 21:55:57

hazel93

Jeremy Hunt - really !
Now out of the cabinet he is very good at saying what should have been done - so why did he not do it at the time ?
Sour grapes in a vineyard.

Agreed.

annodomini Wed 15-Sep-21 22:36:08

Nadine Dorries, Culture Secretary! Is this in recognition of her status as a romantic novelist? She has loads of titles on Amazon all with lots of stars. Bear in mind that the Culture Secretary has the future of the BBC and Channel 4 in her hands. Should we be afraid?

maddyone Wed 15-Sep-21 23:32:30

Nadine Dorris as Culture Secretary. Why?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 02:03:09

maddyone

Maybe because she is entirely devoid of the appropriate aptitude?

vegansrock Thu 16-Sep-21 04:30:13

Wasn’t she on I’m a Celebrity a few years ago.?

PippaZ Thu 16-Sep-21 08:15:49

maddyone

Because he needs an attack-dog where the plan for the BBC is concerned?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:23:07

PippaZ

maddyone

Because he needs an attack-dog where the plan for the BBC is concerned?

That is exactly what I was about to post. She loathes the BBC with a vengeance.

They will be very careful in reporting about the government and as the election nears there any commentary likely to cause Dorris offence will be eliminated.

Sky anyone?

Esspee Thu 16-Sep-21 08:27:15

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:34:20

Johnson must have calculated that her attack on the BBC which will surely come will be popular.

PippaZ Thu 16-Sep-21 08:39:11

It will be with the elderly, lower middle-class (by income) right if my watch on their forums is anything to go by. I shall go and have a shufti.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:49:50

The red wall - I suspect that commercial stations are more popular, so the attack on the BBC may go unnoticed?

Mamardoit Thu 16-Sep-21 08:52:02

'The elderly and lower middle class (by income).....Gransnet?

PippaZ Thu 16-Sep-21 08:59:01

No Marmadoit. It's a forum I found when I first retired and I promise you not GN. GN would not allow their racist comments. There is only one post about changes so far and that is about Nadine Dorris - they seem to dislike her about as much as they do the BBC.

Fae1 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:46:28

Agreed!

GillT57 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:55:58

Oh I know exactly the kind of forums (fora?) you mean Pippaz. Blustering on about pensioners having to pay the TV licence, blaming the BBC, blaming Gary Lineker, proudly announcing they haven't had a licence for years, accusing the BBC of being 'woke'. Posting stupid memes about prisoners being better looked after that pensioners, somehow blaming Afghan refugees for the fact that they have to pay a tv licence. I try not to read these too often because the ignorance makes me truly despair. Also big fans of GB news grin