AUKUS

(213 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 09:42:42

Any thoughts on this new collaboration?

I like the name.

A for Australia
UK for our part
US for America

The French are furious after negotiating for 2 years with Australia to be unceremoniously dumped by them. The USA (Biden) will have greatly annoyed Macron.

MaizieD Wed 22-Sep-21 18:22:15

Post references deleted post Talk guidelines.

railman Wed 22-Sep-21 18:04:03

Lincslass

railman

MerylStreep

Here you are Railman

makeitbritish.co.uk/made-in-britain/

Thanks Meryl - had a look through but disappointed that there were no electrical or electronic equipment items in there - quite a few of the decorative DIY jobs and clothing.

It's not very well marketed though, but a bit like that "Not On The High Street" website.

The UK used to have a wide range of primary, secondary and tertiary manufacturing industries, including microelectronics, biodegradable packaging systems, computer technology and telecommunications manufacturers.

It is nice to see that some stuff may be produced here - but I guess Napoleon was nearer the mark with his profile of the English. Some very fine artisan purveyors of products - and maybe that's what the UK does best, not mass market, but quality, niche products.

Here is a much more comprehensive list of British Companies
Just to top up the other quality products.
uk.ezilon.com/uk/business/manufacturers/index.shtml also another interesting piece albeit from 2020.

www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-exports/

Interesting links Lincslass

The www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-exports/ noted that the UK exports computers in its machinery segment.

What puzzles me about that is that we don't actually make computers, and we sold off the chipset manufacturer ARM Holdings to the US company Nvidia. The Newport based chip maker Newport Wafer Fab was set to be bought by the Chinese - which would make sense since they actually build computers - but our Government is now hoping a UK firm will buy them to block the Chinese.

PippaZ Wed 22-Sep-21 16:48:06

Josianne

You have to admit Boris is a bit funny. He doesn't say things like "Prenez un grip" and "Donnez-moi un break" by accident and then add to our dear friends around the world." Now which "friends" would those be, I wonder?

That is so far from funny. He's just a posh pratt.

lemongrove Wed 22-Sep-21 16:35:22

Not sure why it’s done, but we all have to have our two pennorth Alegrias hmm

lemongrove Wed 22-Sep-21 16:33:16

Alegrias1

Oh hello. Imagine seeing you here. hmm

This is the other post on here that acts as a ‘why are you here’
Message. So many posters seem to be getting this treatment if their comments don’t fit.

MaizieD Wed 22-Sep-21 16:23:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:19:36

sigh

My hero ?

lemongrove Wed 22-Sep-21 16:17:57

Why not Alegrias? Or is this thread just for disgruntled Macron lovers?

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:16:07

(not MaizieD, obviously)

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:15:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MaizieD Wed 22-Sep-21 16:15:25

Alegrias1

You are seriously not trying to say that because some people are bilingual and can switch between 2 languages easily, that it is acceptable for Johnson to play to the gallery by using schoolboy jokes to make himself look funny to the gang back home?

Tell me that's not what you are saying shock

You're just failing to fall for his boyish charm, Alegrias. If he didn't act like a halfwit most of the time he'd go zipping downwards in the Nation's Most Loveable Clown stakes. It's what keeps his popularity ratings high.

(It's the only explanation I can think of because he sure as hell isn't any good at anything else; apart from impregnating random women, of course)

lemongrove Wed 22-Sep-21 16:14:43

Josianne ?

I see that the little Napoleon is now going on about an EU army and the urgent need for it ( with France and Germany at the helm, naturally.)He has agreed to share France’s seat in NATO with the EU.
Donnez-moi un break...indeed.?

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:13:13

We'll have to agree to differ. The use of English words in French, annoying though it is to the Académie Nationale, is understandable. Johnson's pathetic attempt to be funny is execrable.

Josianne Wed 22-Sep-21 16:11:25

I'm saying that, most world leaders are clever enough to say exactly what they feel fits the occasion, especially in a tongue in cheek foreign language.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:08:26

You are seriously not trying to say that because some people are bilingual and can switch between 2 languages easily, that it is acceptable for Johnson to play to the gallery by using schoolboy jokes to make himself look funny to the gang back home?

Tell me that's not what you are saying shock

Josianne Wed 22-Sep-21 16:05:15

OK I'll do this one in English as spoken by Macron to make my point
"I don’t think twice about speaking both French and English at the same time on the international scene or in business circles,” Macron toldEurope1 radio. “I think it reinforces Francophonie to show that French isn’t a static language, but that it is plurilingual. I’m not one of its grouchy defenders”.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:01:26

And your point?

C'etait deux parties egales (apologies for lack of accents)

If Churchill did say it its in actual French. confused

Josianne Wed 22-Sep-21 15:56:28

Churchill: “Quand je regarde mon derrière je vois qu’il est divisé en deux parties”

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:52:31

Or, he could have just used English and given a proper interview without trying to be funny, like a proper Prime Minister would?

Josianne Wed 22-Sep-21 15:49:07

OK , I was speaking about his funny use of language.
If Boris had said "Fichez-moi la paix" rather than "Donnez-moi un break" he could have been accused of being vulgar! The Franglais mix gets over that problem nicely.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:43:46

Sorry Josianne, I don't find him funny at all. I find him cringeworthy. Does he really think mocking people's language is a sensible way of carrying out international relations? He's an embarrassment.

Nice squirrel though.

Josianne Wed 22-Sep-21 15:40:55

You have to admit Boris is a bit funny. He doesn't say things like "Prenez un grip" and "Donnez-moi un break" by accident and then add to our dear friends around the world." Now which "friends" would those be, I wonder?

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:28:19

Oh, he is a one, isn't he? Franglais now from Mr Johnson; not supercilious, not one bit.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58654624

Also - oh look a squirrel! No, really....

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:49:17

MerylStreep

CraftyGranny
You’ve committed one of GN cardinal sins. Quoting the Express. Now go and say 3 Hail Marys.

No, the cardinal sin is believing that the Express is a newspaper on which you can base your knowledge of the world.

Also, the post didn't quote the article although it did reproduce the false news that the article writers wanted readers to believe. smile

Clever, these newspaper chappies.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 14:37:35

CraftyGranny
You’ve committed one of GN cardinal sins. Quoting the Express. Now go and say 3 Hail Marys.