AUKUS

(212 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 09:42:42

Any thoughts on this new collaboration?

I like the name.

A for Australia
UK for our part
US for America

The French are furious after negotiating for 2 years with Australia to be unceremoniously dumped by them. The USA (Biden) will have greatly annoyed Macron.

FannyCornforth Fri 17-Sep-21 09:55:07

Better than USUKA! grin

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 09:56:21

Hopefully it might make China think twice about world domination.

FannyCornforth Fri 17-Sep-21 09:59:10

But wasn’t it awful when Biden forgot Morrison’s name?

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 10:54:41

I'll just repeat what I heard Farage say about this last night on the Channel That Must Not Be Named.

That our real friends in the world all speak English.

We've gone backwards, but never mind, the alliance to stick it to the foreigners has got a good name.

Galaxy Fri 17-Sep-21 11:29:29

And yet our culture and values are about as different from America as it's possible to be. It's funny the power language seems to have on some people.

vegansrock Fri 17-Sep-21 11:31:17

Chinese own loads of expensive properties, energy companies and the like in the U.K. why are we starting a Cold War and proliferating nuclear weapons? Punching above our weight again.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Sep-21 11:31:45

Yuk yuk yuk

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 11:32:50

Galaxy

And yet our culture and values are about as different from America as it's possible to be. It's funny the power language seems to have on some people.

I think our language is quite different, too... grin

I'm quite content for Johnson to do a bit of posturing on the world stage (so long as it doesn't involve us in WW3). It just makes him look even more ridiculous than he does already...

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Sep-21 12:49:30

I think it sounds a good idea.
As part of it Australia will be given the technology by us and the US to build nuclear submarines.
Anything’s which attempts to counter China’s influence has to be applauded.

Biden’s memory problems are becoming increasingly worrying, aren’t they? He referred to Morrison as “that man down under”

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 13:27:35

I agree Jennifer ? it’s a really good idea to go ahead with this.
Biden is worrying isn’t he though?

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 13:28:30

I think he said ‘that fellow down under’ !

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 13:30:18

No Aleg we haven’t ‘ gone backwards’ and if the best you have to say about this subject is a phrase from Farage, it’s a poor do.

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 13:34:05

Australia has asked for our input and from the US for building nuclear submarines for them.No doubt the French are put out by this new deal, but that is nothing to do with us.

winterwhite Fri 17-Sep-21 13:37:04

I have very mixed feelings about this new collaboration. The pluses are clear, but it could so easily lead into aggression, despite BJ's rather oddly expressed reassurance.
And I don't see that there's much to be gained in annoying France.

So I hope this thread isn't going to dwindle into yet another discussion of Biden.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:39:26

lemongrove

No Aleg we haven’t ‘ gone backwards’ and if the best you have to say about this subject is a phrase from Farage, it’s a poor do.

OK, I'll tell you what I think without quoting Farage.

We have gone backwards because we think that the way to challenge the Chinese is via military might. They are taking over the world not with submarines and soldiers, but with economic power. They own huge swathes of Africa and are cosying up to the Taliban because of the lithium deposits in Afghanistan. Three of the biggest five companies in the world by revenue are Chinese.

While we're playing soldiers with our English speaking friends, we're losing our influence day be day.

But its much easier to say "look at my big submarine", isn't it? Poor do, indeed. But I'm sure our shiny new Foreign Secretary will get it fixed, PDQ

winterwhite Fri 17-Sep-21 13:52:22

Well pot, Alegrias. Thank you. Incl the point re our new foreign secretary.

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:02:24

Not well put at all actually, it’s a nonsense.
We are not ‘playing soldiers’ but have agreed to come in on a deal together with the US when asked by Australia, for tech help for building nuclear subs for them.They feel intimidated by what the Chinese are doing in their part of the world, and if you don’t think that China is building up it’s military might at an alarming rate then you haven’t been following world events closely enough.They are going for gold with economic power too, but that can be countered as well, if the rest of the world resists their many shoddy goods and imposes sanctions where needed.
Were the French ‘playing soldiers’ with Australia with the deal they have just lost?

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 14:03:25

winterwhite

Well pot, Alegrias. Thank you. Incl the point re our new foreign secretary.

I second that grin

Of course, we have cut our economic contribution to other countries, haven't we?

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 14:05:53

if you don’t think that China is building up it’s military might at an alarming rate then you haven’t been following world events closely enough.

Goodness! So it's a nice Empire era arms race now, is it?

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:07:21

Nonsense.

I'm cut to the quick. That authority on all things military thinks I'm talking nonsense. I may take to my bed.

Why does Australia need nuclear subs? They were worried about the Yellow Peril too, many years ago. There's a pattern here.

And if you think the way to avoid Chinese domination of the economy is to stop buying shoddy goods and impose sanctions, man are you going to get a surprise.

Parsley3 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:11:24

Spot on Alegrias1. You have explained what is really going on but heyho! Let’s be distracted by getting one over on the French. Just off to do a made in China lateral flow test.

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:15:57

Why does China need nuclear subs Aleg ?

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:19:35

They don't. But they've got a damn sight more than Australia have. They've got more than we have.

So Australia having one (10? I don't know) nuclear subs is going to make no difference at all.

Other than all those English speakers going "Look at my big sub." hmm

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:25:35

MaizieD

^if you don’t think that China is building up it’s military might at an alarming rate then you haven’t been following world events closely enough.^

Goodness! So it's a nice Empire era arms race now, is it?

Should the rest of the world sit back and wait for China to take over just about everything? Perhaps allied with Russia.Would that make people happy on here? Does hatred of all things Conservative and love of all things EU blind posters?
To keep us safe there has to be equal distribution of nuclear power and that includes subs with nuclear capabilities.

We are not ‘getting one over on the French’ it is Australia that has realised it wants something other than the French can provide.