Gransnet forums

News & politics

A winter of very expensive heating and little food?

(553 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 09:14:43

What is happening about this? I must admit I feel worried.

If this is true and will be paid for by those who have lost in-work benefits and are paying higher NI, how on earth will they get through the winter.

I'm a Pensioner and not rich enough to expect them to do anything for me.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 10:08:16

Doomed. We're all doomed!

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:08:37

Why don't you pop over to the AUKUS thread JE?

We're having the daily the French hate us and we're doing just fine without them Brexit is a good thing discussion.

rosie1959 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:09:08

Well NI won't affect winter it doesn't come in until next April
Still haven't noticed any food shortages in our area
Every where in Europe and further afield seems to be experiencing different problems
Fixed my energy until September 2022 which now looks very beneficial

PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 10:10:54

Whitewavemark2

It doesn’t matter whether people stock or not.

The fact is that this government is causing chaos because of its lack of competence.

Shortages throughout the winter.

Ask whether they are experiencing the same in Europe.
Then understand the reason.

As I have said before Whitewave - A "Never Ready" government, run by a "Never Ready" Prime Minister.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 10:11:36

But somehow we got ahead if Europe on vaccines

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:12:21

Aveline

But somehow we got ahead if Europe on vaccines

And where are we now? Any thoughts?

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:14:32

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:18:03

lemongrove

whitewave many countries have HGV driver shortages and all will feel the lack of CO2 just as we will.Trying to make out that it’s merely a UK problem doesn’t wash.

Oh I don’t think you read my question.

Which European countries are experiencing empty shelves and food shortages?

Kim19 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:18:18

My adult son and his partner have moved radio channels from news to one consisting only of songs from musicals. They maintain it has been atmosphere transforming and wonderful. I'm pondering this as these are two extremely astute and intelligent human beings.

MerylStreep Sun 19-Sep-21 10:19:17

JenniferEccles

Oh goody! I’ve found today’s ‘we’re all doomed’ thread.

Keep your eyes peeled folks. There’ll be another one tomorrow!

Very good ? where’s Private Frazier when you need him.
We’re doomed, we’re doomed.

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 10:20:47

rosie1959

Well NI won't affect winter it doesn't come in until next April
Still haven't noticed any food shortages in our area
Every where in Europe and further afield seems to be experiencing different problems
Fixed my energy until September 2022 which now looks very beneficial

Sensible upbeat comments are rarely appreciated ( sadly) rosie ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:22:04

Apparently the BBC is editing and mention of Brexit by businesses who are struggling. There is a business CEO on twitter who is furious because her interview was edited when she explained how her business was struggling trying to afford the extra costs exporting to the EU.

Which btw the European businesses do not have as we aren’t controlling our borders.

Did you vote for that?

Zoejory Sun 19-Sep-21 10:22:22

A lot of European countries are vaccinating over 12s which has boosted their figures.

www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/14/covid-vaccine-for-children-who-in-europe-is-leading-the-race

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 10:23:15

Kim19

My adult son and his partner have moved radio channels from news to one consisting only of songs from musicals. They maintain it has been atmosphere transforming and wonderful. I'm pondering this as these are two extremely astute and intelligent human beings.

We could certainly all benefit from having noses pressed to tv news and ears glued to constant radio news and eyes always checking social media for doom laden tidbits ( beloved of all news outlets.)

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 10:23:22

Alegrias we got there first!

PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 10:23:53

Katie59

CO2 is used to increase the shelf life of pre packed food of all sorts, fresh food is not affected so don’t worry about food shortages, there will be fresh or frozen alternatives.

How can there be fresh or even frozen if the crops don't get picked?

At PMQs this week Conservative North Thanet MP Sir Roger Gale reported on a company in his area saying The country's biggest glasshouse grower of salad crops has been forced to "trash" £320,000 worth of tomatoes due to a lack of pickers and drivers ...

The MP describes just one experience. The fuel issue is in addition to the challenges created by the lack of workers and of drivers.

Do you think that tomato grower will plant tomatoes next year if he cannot be sure of pickers? I don't expect he will - even if he manages to stay in business.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:27:00

Farmers are cutting back on plant growth to what they think they will be able to manage.

Expect a big rise in prices. Or buy alternative food from the EU which is not being subject to border control, thus ensuring that our farmers go out of business.

Chaos

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:27:21

Aveline

Alegrias we got there first!

Got where? We're not finished yet.

Haven't even started with the 12-15 year olds yet, until tomorrow. I have consistently been positive about this country's vaccine rollout but we can't rely on the first few months of 2021 forever. Its not how you start, its how you finish.

I got ridiculed for talking about the tortoise and the hare a few weeks ago. Seems I was quite accurate, really.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:31:39

What I don’t understand is that if there is no problem as the head in sand-ers like us to think, why are there top level crises talks taking place?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:33:34

Compare our prices before the huge price rise this autumn.

PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 10:33:39

Zoejory

A lot of European countries are vaccinating over 12s which has boosted their figures.

www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/14/covid-vaccine-for-children-who-in-europe-is-leading-the-race

Wrong thread I think Zoejory.

Galaxy Sun 19-Sep-21 10:35:22

I can tell you now I certainly wouldnt benefit from listening to a station dedicated to musicals rather than listening to the news shock.

Alegrias1 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:35:54

Don't think so PippaZ, Aveline and I were having a little side discussion about vaccines. We probably took the thread off topic. I'll keep quiet now. smile

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 10:36:06

The UK ( guided by the science) wanted to go slowly when it cane to vaccinating 12 to 15 year olds, which was the right call.
There is still thought to be little be to be gained by doing it and it’s more of a political decision by all accounts.
The vaccines were developed for adults with no time to take in
Findings for giving it to 12 year olds, and I well understand that some parents and the children themselves may not want
to have it done.
On the other hand I have no truck with otherwise healthy adults refusing to have the vaccine.

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 10:38:35

I’m always being told that threads meander Pippa ?