Gransnet forums

News & politics

Don’t underestimate this u-turn

(162 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 07:00:15

Johnson is, as reported in the FT yesterday a.m. going to issue “temporary” visas for lorry drivers from Europe.

The media will play this down, but the implication of this humiliation was not lost on the cabinet who were totally split on this decision as they understood the optics of this u-turn and how it will play out in the U.K.

They know that leaving the single market has never been voted on by the British public, and a return would undoubtedly be welcomed by the vast majority. Leaving the single market never made any economic sense as can be seen by the chaos continuing to spread throughout the economy.

Holding the line was extremely important to the Brexiters and this crack is very unwelcome indeed, who argued for continued chaos rather than do something they swore would never happen again.

Rely on migrant Labour.

They were wrong and are wrong on so much more.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:19:18

“So, apart from the food, fuel, care worker & NHS staff shortages, rampant inflation, farming & fishing decimation, hospitality problems, loss of freedom to live freely on our own continent, £36bn debt & dividing the country into 2 angry tribes, what has Brexit ever done for us?”

Twitter

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 10:20:14

Apologies if I don’t join in with the doom and gloom generated on every subject under the sun.
Leaving the EU bloc meant we were free to do what we wanted to on immigration.The UK will always need some, just as every country in Europe will.There is a great difference from being able to pick and choose to open borders.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:25:59

This from a major turkey producer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oz33NNrs7g

I urge you to watch it.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:27:24

Please note it is the way the media are playing this down.

trisher Sat 25-Sep-21 10:27:48

lemon did you see the numbers of immigrants arriving by boat during the good weather? Aren't our borders (because basically it's just the sea) open anyway?

Tim Martin demanding foreign labour is hilarious. But hospitality is losing out. Places couldn't cope this year in the tourist season goodness knows what will happen when tourism returns properly.

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 10:34:01

trisher asylum seekers and illegal immigrants are a problem for all Western countries when they arrive in great numbers as they have been doing for a while now as well as a freedom of movement from all the countries in the EU.Which ( obviously)
We are not a part of now.
Controlled immigration for our workforce is the best thing, seeing which sectors we need and implementing it.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:45:15

Wrong I’m afraid.

Yes there was the stated intention to issue visas to migrant Labour, but only to highly skilled workers like doctors, engineers etc.

Low skill jobs were never intended to be filled by migrant Labour as it was considered that somehow we could fill it from our existing pool of Labour.

Clearly someone didn’t do the maths

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:47:21

seeing which sectors we need and implementing it

Cause that's worked really well for other countries which have tried it.

theconversation.com/theres-one-big-problem-with-australias-skilled-migration-program-many-employers-dont-want-new-migrants-125569

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 10:48:37

I wouldn’t call HGV driving a low skilled job!
Also, in that case all of Europe and the US didn’t do the maths either.

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 10:50:27

You have to remember that HGV drivers are a dying breed, so much needs to be done to invigorate the sector in very many countries, it’s a problem for all.

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:50:50

Just a thought...

When something good happens, its all down to the government. Vaccine development and rollout, for instance.

When something bad happens ( WWM2, 10:19) its really not their fault and there's nothing they could have done.

MayBee70 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:52:55

lemongrove

M0nica

The media will play this down

What evidence, ahead of the event that this will happen?

Surely you should have an open mind and judge events as they come. You also need to consider that others may not see this event as being as humiliating or as significant as you do.

I am not offering any opinion on this subject at all at the moment.

It looks as if 6 month temporary visas are being granted to EU HGV drivers to help ease the problem .....and why not? This is sensible and what we who voted to leave the EU wanted, not unlimited freedom of movement but controlled immigration.
In certain areas, ( the haulage industry specifically) we should feel free to do what is needed.
The only problem I can see is because there is a Europe wide shortage of drivers we may struggle to get them....firms will have to offer more money than they can earn at home.
Eastern European drivers are the most likely to apply.

We’ll probably struggle to get them because of the hostile environment towards them that brexit has caused imo….

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Sep-21 10:53:24

Whitewavemark2 I wasn't trying to ask if we were lazy, I asked if we'd always been thought of as lazy?

I'm wondering how we were thought of in, say, the middle ages?
The agricultural/agrarian revolution? Is it, say, a product of Victorian workhouses? When did it start if people think it?

HolySox Sat 25-Sep-21 10:53:50

Grant Shapps, transport secretary, said yesterday the government expected businesses to train UK drivers in lieu of losing migrant drivers. They have failed to do this. I think UK businesses have got used to letting other people (countries) train staff to keep their costs down, profits up. This coupled with a 'go to University' message to our young people has meant the UK is failing our young people. Hopefully current problems will reverse this attitude in the UK and we start investing in our young people again.

Many years ago we sent ships to Africa to get 'free' labour. Exploiting our poorer European neighbours by taking their skilled workers isn't quite so bad ... but our young generation are paying for it. They aren't getting training opportunities. If they want higher education they are getting massive personal debt. Maybe current economic problems will lead to better opportunities for young people.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:58:21

NotSpaghetti

Whitewavemark2 I wasn't trying to ask if we were lazy, I asked if we'd always been thought of as lazy?

I'm wondering how we were thought of in, say, the middle ages?
The agricultural/agrarian revolution? Is it, say, a product of Victorian workhouses? When did it start if people think it?

I don’t know tbh. I do think that governments have used this when the economy goes pear-shaped though.

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 10:59:01

I agree HolySox and think at the moment we need to pay to get HGV drivers from abroad whilst doing as much as is humanly possible to interest younger drivers here at home, good pay and other incentives with free training programmes and fast tracking testing.

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:05:16

Hello Mr/s HGV person, would you like a job here in the fabulous land of milk and honey that is the UK?

Oh, yes please, I've always wanted to live in the UK

Oh no, you don't get to live here. We only want your skills temporarily because we can't get it together enough to train up our own citizens.

Can I have a permanent contract then?

Absolutely not, we just need you to fill in until the proper drivers get trained, you know, the British ones.

My pal got stuck at the border last year, no food, water or toilet facilities for days on end. That won't happen again will it?

Well it might. Just sign here please.

Erm....no thanks. See ya.

Dinahmo Sat 25-Sep-21 11:24:08

It's easy to say we'll get HGV drivers from abroad - but how? Apparently freelance hauliers have regular routes which used to include the UK. The UK is no longer included in those routes so why should the drivers change their plans to include us? If by following a particular route they are able to work the hours and earn the money that they need, why change to work in a country that patently did not want immigrants?

The same principle applies to the farmers in Kent with many acres of poly tunnels. I heard a soft fruit grower talking before Brexit, explaining that his workers came over for the season, they lived in accommodation provided by him and that many of them had been coming for a number of years.
They are no longer coming.

Liveinnan Sat 25-Sep-21 11:26:22

I voted for entering what is now the EU but was called something else back in the 70s, also voted to remain in the Brexit vote and was disappointed to have lost that vote. However, I truly believe in democracy, so when it became apparent that there was so much obstruction to Britain actually leaving, which is what the majority had actually voted for, I became a turncoat and became obsessed with needing to leave. So much so, that I voted Conservative for the first time in my life, in order to bring that outcome about. There was always going to be teething problems as we first go it alone and who would have thought we’d be hit by a pandemic straight away, but now at least democracy has played out in the way that it should. The British should take up all available employment themselves, regardless of how physically hard it is and probably would if they received a decent wage.

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:32:06

This is going to be the narrative, I think, for a while.

Its was all about democracy, at least Boris got Brexit done, teething troubles, who expected a pandemic?

And it would be fine if people just took the jobs they were offered.

MaizieD Sat 25-Sep-21 11:33:39

I've seen it pointed out this morning that if there is a shortage of HGV drivers in the EU, and EU companies pay better wages, why should EU HGV drivers bother to come to the UK? hmm

I don't think this temporary visa is going to contribute much to solving the problem.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:36:22

We were out to dinner last night in a local Turkish Restaurant, we were talking with the Romanian waitress who has been there for two years. She intends to stay for another three years by which time she will have saved enough to go back home and by herself a house outright

To say that all Eastern European workers left in droves on 31/12/20 is somewhat erroneous.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:39:11

lemongrove

Scones

"I'm just fed up with every hiccup being a stick to beat the government with"

Current 'hiccups' include:-

The army driving ambulances is Scotland.
Chemotherapy being rationed due to staff shortages.
Waste collections delayed/cancelled due to staff shortages.
Petrol not being delivered to points of sale.
18% of people reporting not being able to buy essential food in the last week.
1,500 in hospital in Scotland purely because no suitable social care is available.
136,000 Coronavirus related deaths.

Stick-worthy hiccups.

Not so.
Staff shortages for delivering chemotherapy and waste collections are due to Covid.
Petrol ( no shortage) just BP having problems
Army helping out by driving ambulances....all good! That’s the government stepping up to the plate ( and NS requested it.)
We have just been through a terrible pandemic and yet it appears some people are outraged at the consequences....the same government got us all early vaccinations, remember?
They are not miracle workers.

The whole of Europe has been through the same, some countries much worse than UK (Italy) - and yet there are NO shortages of food, petrol, or essential life saving drugs for cancer.

Why?

MaizieD Sat 25-Sep-21 11:40:53

GrannyGravy13

We were out to dinner last night in a local Turkish Restaurant, we were talking with the Romanian waitress who has been there for two years. She intends to stay for another three years by which time she will have saved enough to go back home and by herself a house outright

To say that all Eastern European workers left in droves on 31/12/20 is somewhat erroneous.

Oh, one or two stayed on so that proves they didn't leave in droves?

Enough left to put some industries into crisis mode

Interesting, in view of all the anti EU propaganda about EU workers keeping UK wages low, that she can earn enough to support here while she is here and go back and buy herself a house... hmm

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:43:04

There is indeed a shortage of HGV drivers all over Europe- but no shortages of anything. Do you think those HGV drivers will go and work where they are well treated, welcomed even- with good roadside conditions, toilets, food, and no waits at borders, and no masses of red tape- and where the currency has a good exchange rate for them to take salary back to family back home ...

or the UK where they have been treated so badly, conditions awfuls, waits, redtape, and noy only wanted on short contracts without any security at all? Really?