Gransnet forums

News & politics

Don’t underestimate this u-turn

(162 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 07:00:15

Johnson is, as reported in the FT yesterday a.m. going to issue “temporary” visas for lorry drivers from Europe.

The media will play this down, but the implication of this humiliation was not lost on the cabinet who were totally split on this decision as they understood the optics of this u-turn and how it will play out in the U.K.

They know that leaving the single market has never been voted on by the British public, and a return would undoubtedly be welcomed by the vast majority. Leaving the single market never made any economic sense as can be seen by the chaos continuing to spread throughout the economy.

Holding the line was extremely important to the Brexiters and this crack is very unwelcome indeed, who argued for continued chaos rather than do something they swore would never happen again.

Rely on migrant Labour.

They were wrong and are wrong on so much more.

lemongrove Sun 26-Sep-21 15:32:24

Kali2

''As been said before this incompetent, self serving government couldn't organise a p…s up in a brewery.'' you'd be so lucky! Perhaps when pubs run out of beer, especially 'Spoons' some quitters will take notice!

Hmmm, snobbish remark there Kali
Not that you have to worry about Wetherspoons where you are, but they provide cheap good value food and drinks for those without a lot of funds.
Are you adding beer to your list of shortages now?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Sep-21 15:36:31

kali I so admire your restraint.

Casdon Sun 26-Sep-21 15:39:18

It was a reference to an actual news report from Kali2 in fact, not snobbery Lemongrove Keep up.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58395401

theworriedwell Sun 26-Sep-21 15:43:55

FlexibleFriend

The reason younger Hgv drivers have taken other jobs is they were sick of being underpaid, even though they could earn £50k they had to work very long shifts and put up with being treated like crap by management. Employers want to keep the drivers earnings down which is why they want foreign drivers willing to undercut our own drivers. Our own drivers who have had to pay out a fortune to acquire the required training and jump through hoops of slowly acquiring licences for ever larger vehicles. Now they want to short cut that which will no doubt lead to more accidents and they also are removing the reverse manoeuvre from the Hgv test. Never mind that it's mandatory to reverse onto a bay to unload. I really hope we don't manage to recruit drivers from other countries, it's time the road haulage association addressed the real problem. Not only are many drivers retiring those that have qualified at their own expense in the last ten years will not tolerate the way they are treated so are also leaving. We have plenty of qualified, experienced Hgv drivers but they know their worth and it's about time we appreciated them. When they address the home / work balance and not expect ridiculous shift patterns to be tolerated we will be closer to finding the solution.

I was in a local supermarket car park last week when a huge lorry arrived and struggled to manoeuvre onto the delivery ramp. Due to parking spaces being close and cars moving it was a nightmare for the poor man. Seems mad to take that out of the test.

lemongrove Sun 26-Sep-21 15:46:16

The first part of kali’s post ( in inverted commas) is from some source or other ( not mentioned) but the remark about Spoons was not, therefore her own, presumably.
If not....should say who she is quoting.

lemongrove Sun 26-Sep-21 15:47:44

Kali2

''As been said before this incompetent, self serving government couldn't organise a p…s up in a brewery.'' you'd be so lucky! Perhaps when pubs run out of beer, especially 'Spoons' some quitters will take notice!

No mention of copying this from a news report Casdon

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 16:07:56

It was a quote from the previous post to mine, from Barmeyoldhat - if you read the comments, you would have realised that.

I used to live next to a 'Spoons' - beautiful building indeed. Food was cheap for a reason, all bought in in plastic bags and re-heated in hot bath. And a fair comment really as the owner was a foracious Brexiter, refused to furlough and sacked all his staff, and now complaining about staff shortages. A true representative! And yes, beer supplies, and food bought in from wholesalers a long way away, will be affected. Less so for pubs that provide good food sought locally.

MerylStreep Sun 26-Sep-21 16:17:52

Kali2
A great many food outlets across the price range operate on the plastic bag system. It started in the 80s.

lemongrove Sun 26-Sep-21 16:24:18

Kali...hate to be pedantic but the post above yours by Barmeyoldbat ( not hat) contained no mention of Spoons, that was your contribution.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 16:44:12

The 'pinging' system that forced staff to stay home caused a lot of staff shortages. My son, who manages a 'spoons' has been run ragged - - you've no idea. ?
And if every pub was to only produce meals with 'local' food there'd be a LOT of people out of jobs. Surely there has to be both.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 16:54:23

Thanks Lemongrove.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Sep-21 17:01:17

Just to say yes it was my post and no I didn’t mention Spoons, BUT I had only been talking with Mr B armed moments before about the awful steak I had in spoons the night before while we were staying in Swansea. Everything else was fine but the steak, urgh. So maybe Lemongrove has powers that we don’t know about and can read my mind! If that is the case you will know what I think about most of your comments.

lemongrove Sun 26-Sep-21 20:02:03

I can’t return the insult Barmeyoldbat as I have never noticed your comments before today.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 20:06:51

lemongrove

*Kali*...hate to be pedantic but the post above yours by Barmeyoldbat ( not hat) contained no mention of Spoons, that was your contribution.

Yes, that bit was.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 20:09:27

Sweetpeasue

The 'pinging' system that forced staff to stay home caused a lot of staff shortages. My son, who manages a 'spoons' has been run ragged - - you've no idea. ?
And if every pub was to only produce meals with 'local' food there'd be a LOT of people out of jobs. Surely there has to be both.

Tim Martin CHOSE to sack his staff and NOT furlough- THAT is what has caused the shortage. Those who wer sacked, whilst her friends in other pubs and restaurants got furloughed- DO remember, and will not work for Tim Martin again. Fair enough, I'd say.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 20:47:28

This is untrue. Tim Martin actually told his staff that while being furloughed he'd allow them to work somewhere else like Tesco. Win win for staff.

theworriedwell Sun 26-Sep-21 21:33:51

Didn't Tim Martin tell his staff he wouldn't/couldn't pay them until the govt gave him the money. Maybe there was confusion.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Sep-21 21:45:52

Furlough ends next week. Expect unemployment to rise.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 22:08:28

There certainly was a lot of confusion at the time theworriedwell Have just been recapping news articles at the time. Tim Martin sparks a lot of controversy, but he did tell staff they could work at Tesco during furlough and he did keep on the vast majority of his staff. Son has sent other given me other links but this thread is not all about Tim Martin and I allowed myself to be drawn in by being defensive of my son's hard workload.
I do think that these political issues are always complicated and are way beyond my experience but I have to say that democracy is about abiding by the result of people's voting whether or not its the result you wanted.

Welshwife Sun 26-Sep-21 22:30:03

But democracy also needs the processes to be legal and the population to be told the truth!

MaizieD Sun 26-Sep-21 22:48:56

'Democracy' also encompasses the freedom to object and to work to change policies etc. It's far more complex than people want to believe.

MaizieD Sun 26-Sep-21 22:50:10

Sweetpeasue

This is untrue. Tim Martin actually told his staff that while being furloughed he'd allow them to work somewhere else like Tesco. Win win for staff.

Was that actually legal?

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 22:55:46

Son says it is as something about you paying more tax. He employs the staff so I'd have thought he would know.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Sep-21 22:57:40

theworriedwell, nail on head - lazy and disorganised. We really can't compare ourselves with Germany, where they still have real apprenticeships and a skilled workforce.

Most current problems are due to the disruption of Covid - and an incompetent government.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 22:59:00

When I was referring to being democratic I was meaning that we believe in honouring elections and referendum results voted by the people.