Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gina Miller the woman who tried to stop Brexit starting new party called 'True and Fair' ?

(111 Posts)
Maudi Mon 27-Sep-21 12:30:46

Nothing true and fair about Gina Miller who tried to stop the democratic Brexit vote. What do you think?

Racingsparrow Tue 28-Sep-21 18:52:50

Show your evidence

PippaZ Tue 28-Sep-21 18:57:57

Racingsparrow

Germany at the moment is good example of of the pitfalls of a coalition government. There are two parties with an almost equal percentage of the vote. Two more with smaller but also almost equal percentage who will now barter with each other to form a government. This will leave a large number of voters with a government that they did not vote for

Why is that a pitfall Racingsparrow? The Germans seem happy to work with it or have I missed the marches for FPTP?

varian Tue 28-Sep-21 19:06:59

Racingsparrow

Germany at the moment is good example of of the pitfalls of a coalition government. There are two parties with an almost equal percentage of the vote. Two more with smaller but also almost equal percentage who will now barter with each other to form a government. This will leave a large number of voters with a government that they did not vote for

The German coalition government when it is formed will represent a majority of voters,

That is democracy.

Our appalling government was voted in by a minority of voters.

That is not democracy..

Racingsparrow Tue 28-Sep-21 19:14:44

The pitfalls are that the government could be centrist, left wing or if the Alternative fuhr Deutsland get into the mix it could be extreme right wing. With the percentage mix that has been generated you could end up with a government that will be emasculated by conflicting demands.

Angela Merkel has not been that good a Chancellor. She has left the country with a disintegrating infrastructure and a country that is totally dependant on exports.

varian Tue 28-Sep-21 19:19:17

Germany is still the richest country in Europe, thanks to a good, democratic electoral system.

Kali2 Tue 28-Sep-21 19:22:07

racingsparrow your comment truly made me laugh ''This will leave a large number of voters with a government that they did not vote for''

what do you think happens in the UK with the FPTP system- every time!

Petera Tue 28-Sep-21 19:36:14

Kali2

racingsparrow your comment truly made me laugh ''This will leave a large number of voters with a government that they did not vote for''

what do you think happens in the UK with the FPTP system- every time!

Indeed I think it was 57% of the vote in the 2019 GE that did not go to the Conservatives. And that's the smallest number since 1979. In 2015 63% did not vote for Cameron

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 20:25:22

Racingsparrow Leaving a country dependant on exports is better than leaving it dependant on imports. In any case, it has largely weathered the storm of losing export markets and the fall out of the trade war between the US and China. The new Chancellor would be wise to rebalance the German economy,which I'm sure he'll do.

You don't seem to understand that having two parties with similar number of votes has been the outcome of nearly every UK election. The system leaves the majority unrepresented every time.

What on earth do you mean by an "emasculated government? It's highly unlikely that AfD will be part of any mix. The major parties would prefer to work together (as they did in the last coalition) than allow the AfD to be coalition partners.

I'm afraid I think your assessment of Germany and its economy and politics is way off the mark.

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 20:28:17

Racingsparrow

No, it leaves a politically mature electorate which understands that it needs to compromise and, in the process, will get at least something it voted for.

varian Wed 06-Oct-21 18:55:37

Which may be something to do with Germany's lower number of covid deaths and higher measures of productivity and GDP.