Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gina Miller the woman who tried to stop Brexit starting new party called 'True and Fair' ?

(111 Posts)
Maudi Mon 27-Sep-21 12:30:46

Nothing true and fair about Gina Miller who tried to stop the democratic Brexit vote. What do you think?

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 22:58:56

growstuff

What the heck is this thread all about?

Gina Miller started the True and Fair Campaign in 2012 with her own money.

The only references I can find to her launching a new political party are in the red tops and similar. It's a traditional way for people with a mission to get their voices heard.

Sounds like part of the bread and circuses agenda.

It's a stirrer Growstuff. The leave voting Boris fans are feeling the pressure.

growstuff Mon 27-Sep-21 23:00:03

lemongrove

Just to add, Gina Miller is wasting her time and money.

Well, it's better than wasting somebody else's money.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 01:14:34

The leave voting Johnson fans will be feeling even more pressure once Brexit is fully implemented.

The border is still completely open to EU imports and the NI protocol isn’t yet implemented.

Imagine what it would be like here if they had been.

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 05:14:17

There is more to democracy than putting an X in a box and the candidate with the most Xs winning.

Systems have evolved over centuries in the UK to preserve democracy - the judiciary, civil service, etc. - but they're being dismantled before people's eyes. It defies belief that people can't see it.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 06:33:00

I am one getting alarmed at the route we are taking.

We have a government where the tail is wagging the dog, as it is being steered by a small number of ideologues - about 28- I think ( they had a dinner together last week to congratulate themselves - Johnson was not amongst them) who are pushing Britain into this dystopian nightmare of crises after crises that is weakening our economy and dismantling our democracy.

The opposition is either too weak or is busy destroying itself rather than do its job of defending the country against this sort attack.

We are heading if the 28 have their way towards a society that is run on a laissez faire economy, something not seen for perhaps 200 years in the U.K.

I desperately hope this is not so, and I would like to think that people from all parties are hoping the same.

How we stop it I have no idea.

Scones Tue 28-Sep-21 09:38:56

Whitewavemark2 Who are these 28 people please and where can we find out more information about this?

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 09:42:37

They're here. They call themselves the "Spartans".

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 09:43:59

Afriyie, Baker, Bone, Braverman, Bridgen, Cash, Chope, Duddridge, Francois, Fysh, Hollobone, Holloway, Jayawardena, Jenkin, Jenkyns, Jones, Lewis, Lopez, Mackinlay, AM Morris, Patel, Paterson, Redwood, Robertson, Rosindell, Rowley, Villiers

Kali2 Tue 28-Sep-21 09:48:10

Please tell us more - any links?

Kali2 Tue 28-Sep-21 09:54:44

Ah yes, aka the ERG- the Group that torpedoed Mrs May and her far better Deal, and strongly allied with Foster and the DUP.

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 09:55:57

This explains what they did and why:

thecritic.co.uk/issues/february-2020/spartans-who-remade-britain/

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:44:37

Scones

Whitewavemark2 Who are these 28 people please and where can we find out more information about this?

Members of the ERG you can find their names on line,
. The report on the dinner was in the Observer I think, but, I read so much I forget.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:45:23

Oh??I’ve just read the rest of the thread.

GillT57 Tue 28-Sep-21 13:33:47

Meanwhile, we have distraction after distraction. When the masses tire of talking about H&M, we have a fuel delivery issue to occupy us, then we will have turkey, tinsel and toys shortages. There has also been the pandemic to blame for everything that this disgrace of a government has handled, and to blame for the slow dismantling of the NHS. How they will distract us in January when the sh*t really hits the Brexit fan will be interesting to see.

MaizieD Tue 28-Sep-21 13:36:43

How they will distract us in January when the sh*t really hits the Brexit fan will be interesting to see.

When is Boris's billionth baby due?

JaneJudge Tue 28-Sep-21 13:39:11

billionth grin unfortunately I think a lot of people may be ill again over winter and that is a distraction in itself, especially on a personal level for people and families

PippaZ Tue 28-Sep-21 13:58:20

growstuff

There is more to democracy than putting an X in a box and the candidate with the most Xs winning.

Systems have evolved over centuries in the UK to preserve democracy - the judiciary, civil service, etc. - but they're being dismantled before people's eyes. It defies belief that people can't see it.

Totally growstuff.

Petera Tue 28-Sep-21 14:06:23

MaizieD

^How they will distract us in January when the sh*t really hits the Brexit fan will be interesting to see.^

When is Boris's billionth baby due?

P Andrew will be revealed to know R Kelly

GillT57 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:09:31

P Andrew will be revealed to know R Kelly grin. Are you really Allegra Stratton fishing for ideas?

JaneJudge Tue 28-Sep-21 15:38:34

Oh God I bet he will be too! Is my memory failing me or didn't this happen before with R Kelly? and if so, why on earth was it allowed to happen again? angry

lemongrove Tue 28-Sep-21 15:38:37

growstuff

lemongrove

Just to add, Gina Miller is wasting her time and money.

Well, it's better than wasting somebody else's money.

...and time? very true.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Sep-21 16:55:08

It’s rocket man now.

Petera Tue 28-Sep-21 17:13:40

Whitewavemark2

It’s rocket man now.

And all this science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week

varian Tue 28-Sep-21 18:13:48

What hope do we have of turning the UK into a democracy when there is an unholy alliance between the tax dodging billionaires who fund the Tory Party and the dinosaurs who control the trades unions who fund the Labour Party to maintain the obscenely undemocratic First Past The Post electoral system at all costs?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/27/unions-vote-down-local-labour-parties-call-to-axe-first-past-the-post

Racingsparrow Tue 28-Sep-21 18:51:27

Germany at the moment is good example of of the pitfalls of a coalition government. There are two parties with an almost equal percentage of the vote. Two more with smaller but also almost equal percentage who will now barter with each other to form a government. This will leave a large number of voters with a government that they did not vote for