Gransnet forums

News & politics

If you had the power

(29 Posts)
AGAA4 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:11:31

To change one thing that is wrong in the country/world what would it be?

Lincslass Mon 27-Sep-21 16:14:05

Food and clean water for all.

grandMattie Mon 27-Sep-21 16:20:20

Fair living wages for all.

Ro60 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:44:12

Make people feel valued in the jobs we need. I don't think money is the final answer.
In other countries engineers, waiters, bus drivers, vegetable harvesters, to name just a few, are respected far more than here.

Stop giving out silly degrees for unnecessary occupations.

Those that are not academic are put down by our education system yet their - skills are overlooked and undervalued.

Dinahmo Mon 27-Sep-21 16:51:11

All of the above.

Chestnut Mon 27-Sep-21 16:54:30

I would magic away every single gun and military weapon of every kind in the world, so they simply didn't exist, and no-one could remember how to make them again!

AGAA4 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:54:36

I agree with all the replies. Interesting and thoughtful.

AGAA4 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:57:03

I would like to see an end to the situation where people have to choose between heat or eat.

Scones Mon 27-Sep-21 20:43:51

I would provide a free, equal and excellent education for all.

ElderlyPerson Mon 27-Sep-21 21:22:27

A thing thar could be done and could make a lot of difference by a butterfly effect.

Instruct JobCentre Plus to remove the wolds fail, failure, failed and the like from its documents and its culture.

Katie59 Tue 28-Sep-21 07:35:41

The education system is going to have to change and be more realistic because the aim of the current government is not to use migrant labour to do the routine low paid work. Far more vocational manual jobs are going to be available, that only need short training courses.

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 07:45:43

How about recognising that even "vocational manual" jobs often need a higher level of skill then UK training usually provides? People don't need to spend their whole lives at the bottom of the pile, but should be able to acquire the skills to progress. In Germany and many other European countries (especially in eastern Europe) people in manual jobs have been trained to a higher level than in the UK,which could be why they have been in demand.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Sep-21 07:48:42

I’d want every child to have a solid, loving, supportive childhood, free from poverty and fear.

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 07:49:34

If I had power to change just one thing, it would be housing. I would make it very difficult for private landlords to profit from housing, build more socially owned housing and take steps to keep property inflation down.

Not only are so many people priced out of secure, decent housing(rented or owned), but property ownership has totally distorted the post-war economy in the UK and resulted in capital being tied up in mortgages rather than in investment in industry.

nanna8 Tue 28-Sep-21 07:57:04

Just even things up generally. Have a maximum income where any excess is confiscated and used for those who need more or for the good of others.

Polarbear2 Tue 28-Sep-21 08:39:32

Universal basic income. Would solve the poverty issue overnight. Would incentivise new businesses and ideas. Would mean employers have to be decent or staff can and will walk away. Pay for it by abolishing all benefits including state pension (always ensuring safety net for disabled etc). Yes there will be a few who stay on their sofas but research has proved many many don’t.

ElderlyPerson Tue 28-Sep-21 09:00:59

growstuff

How about recognising that even "vocational manual" jobs often need a higher level of skill then UK training usually provides? People don't need to spend their whole lives at the bottom of the pile, but should be able to acquire the skills to progress. In Germany and many other European countries (especially in eastern Europe) people in manual jobs have been trained to a higher level than in the UK,which could be why they have been in demand.

I came across a couple of glitches in the training system while I was out of work.

I went on government funded NYQ level 2 in Using Information Technology. To rules of the NVQ were that to pass one needed traning to use a wordprocessing package and a spreadsheet package. In practice we got Word. Excel, Access, and some got PowerPoint too. It gave me experience and ability in modern office software.

So, keen on NVQs I asked at the local college about their NVQ level 3 in Usimg Information Technology.

Alas, not possible, one needed to be in employment for some of the units.

Now comes the glitch!

Ah, said I, can I do just the units where one does not need to be employment please as the government promotes NVQs as you can either do a whole one all at once or do individual units one at a time and gradually build up a qualification.

Oh no is the reply, because the funding council treats anything other than a whole NVQ as a fail and it affects our future funding.

So there are, one part of government advocating a way to do it and another part making it inpossible.

Also, because I had got a degree many years before I was told elsewhere that funding could not be "drawn down" ("drawn down" being I found an often-used term) as I had already got a qualification at or above level 3. (the degree being level 6).

But I wanted to get a job and the modern computer network skills were non-existent back then.

It just needs joined-up-government to avoid such things happening.

Lucca Tue 28-Sep-21 09:07:18

AGAA4 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:42:54

All your replies have given me much to think about about. There is so much that needs to improve. Our world is very unfair.

Ro60 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:32:53

Lucca You hoo oo oo You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one ?

Caleo Tue 28-Sep-21 11:49:54

If I had the power I would form a cabinet of Remainers and supporters of the Welfare State.

HolySox Tue 28-Sep-21 14:10:46

To have mothers respected, valued and supported for the crucial role they play in our society. Being a SAHM should be a badge of honour. Mothers shouldn't feel pressurised to go out to work.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:16:04

Absolutely agree Holysox. I was a stay at home mum,and wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Even though I’d been a nurse, probably one of the most interesting jobs there are, it all seemed boring in comparison to being with my children all the time.

I feel so sad for young mums who have to work, and also for those who choose to. My doctor once said she’s met many people over the years who live with regrets about working, but never met anyone who regretted staying at home.

It’s a job, and we should be paid, as they are in Germany apparently.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:17:22

Ro60

Make people feel valued in the jobs we need. I don't think money is the final answer.
In other countries engineers, waiters, bus drivers, vegetable harvesters, to name just a few, are respected far more than here.

Stop giving out silly degrees for unnecessary occupations.

Those that are not academic are put down by our education system yet their - skills are overlooked and undervalued.

I agree Ro60

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Sep-21 14:23:11

Eradicate all animal suffering.