Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour party conference, is no-one else interested?

(505 Posts)
foxie48 Wed 29-Sep-21 08:55:10

tbh I expected a few posts about what's been happening other than the ones about Angela Rayner's language but none have appeared. So what do you think of the show so far? Andy McDonald's resignation, does this signal open warfare from the left? Internal party reforms despite Momentum's objection, does this signal the end of the left's influence? Starmer's declaration that winning the next election is more important than focusing on party unity. Is this a sign that the Labour party is moving on from the Corbyn era and Brexit? Some suggestion that the left wing might start a new party? So where do you think the party is heading?

Dinahmo Mon 11-Oct-21 15:35:40

foxie48

MaizieD

Sorry MaizieD totally missed that!

Not to worry. It's just that I am so used to social media where any mention of Blair is subject to shouts of 'Iraq', as if one, admittedly dreadful, mistake negates all the good that was done by Labour during his government.

What the Ira war demonstrated for me was the unwisdom of tying the UK closely to the USA (seen yet again in the disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan) and again it points up the foolishness of withdrawing the UK from a powerful bloc which is not so fixated on blindly following where the US chooses to go, in order to cosy up to the US.

I wonder how things would be if they had found WMDs as the Intelligence reports said would be found or if we had not gone to war and WMDs had been used by Saddam Hussein. I would not have wanted to be a decision maker nor would I want to have had to live with the consequences of my decision! Much easier to an old lady pontificating with the benefit of hindsight!

I have been told that there were WMDs but they were American and so the findings were hushed up. I heard this from an American who was a serving soldier at the time but I don't understand why that never came to light.

MaizieD Mon 11-Oct-21 16:48:02

Dinahmo

foxie48

MaizieD

Sorry MaizieD totally missed that!

Not to worry. It's just that I am so used to social media where any mention of Blair is subject to shouts of 'Iraq', as if one, admittedly dreadful, mistake negates all the good that was done by Labour during his government.

What the Ira war demonstrated for me was the unwisdom of tying the UK closely to the USA (seen yet again in the disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan) and again it points up the foolishness of withdrawing the UK from a powerful bloc which is not so fixated on blindly following where the US chooses to go, in order to cosy up to the US.

I wonder how things would be if they had found WMDs as the Intelligence reports said would be found or if we had not gone to war and WMDs had been used by Saddam Hussein. I would not have wanted to be a decision maker nor would I want to have had to live with the consequences of my decision! Much easier to an old lady pontificating with the benefit of hindsight!

I have been told that there were WMDs but they were American and so the findings were hushed up. I heard this from an American who was a serving soldier at the time but I don't understand why that never came to light.

That's a rather weird story, Dinahmo. Did your informant imply that the US had supplied Hussein with the WMD?

Mind you, not sure I'd completely believe one person's say so.. hmm

Grany Wed 13-Oct-21 09:42:40

Peter Stefanovic telling it like it is.

Kapitan Wed 13-Oct-21 20:29:16

What has the Peter Stefanovic comment got to do with the Labour Party conference?