Gransnet forums

News & politics

Any sympathy for pig farmers?

(173 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 08-Oct-21 07:34:49

This was briefly discussed on one of the disappearing Brexit threads but I feel it deserves a thread of its own. Our Dear Leader obviously doesn’t as he says the 140,000 pigs are going to be killed anyway so the fact they are being shot and burned or buried on the farm rather than entering the food chain is just collateral damage in the wonderful journey to the high wage economy we are going to miraculously become.

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 17:55:27

sazzl - you wrote:

"You were sent to any vacancy that existed and couldn't refuse."

That is not true - in the late 60s/early 70s, the Labour Exchange did send you to a vacancy - but you could refuse - maybe you mean the person offered the opportunity could refuse to attend for interview, and not that the same person could refuse the work.

It was a discussion between you and the officer behind the desk to look at your skills and come up with a suitable option - you were not forced to attend.

MaizieD Sun 10-Oct-21 17:55:53

Germanshepherdsmum

A local fruit grower said that his pickers can earn up to £20 an hour. Obviously it all depends on how quick they are as they are paid by weight. But he can’t get British people to do the work. At all. If someone earns a low wage doing agricultural (or any other low-paid) work, there is UC etc to top up low earnings. Wouldn’t most people rather do some honest work and have their earnings supplemented than sit at home and claim benefits if they are physically able to? Sadly not I think, as the number of vacancies v the number on benefits shows. There was a time when if you refused two job offers your benefits were withdrawn. As sazzl says, there are many who play the system and families in which several generations have never worked - but they seem able to afford booze, fags, satellite tv and other things that hard working people and pensioners would consider luxuries. I have witnessed it myself. I regularly drove to work past the social housing with bedroom curtains still closed, and no they weren’t all on night shifts. The government has said numerous times that they will ensure that work pays but I don’t see much evidence of it. And Gill I am not including pensioners in this, I am talking about people under pension age who could work but choose not to.

Oh dear... can we play Right Wing media bingo with this post?

I live in an area of high deprivation. Huge population growth in the 19th century with the expansion of mining, heavy industry allied to mining (here because of the readily available fuel). Mining declined rapidly in the latter part of the last century. Industry disappeared. Nothing to replace it.

We are surrounded by farms, but, because of our less favourable climate (NE England), they are mainly arable and livestock, no acres of fruit and vegetable produce to offer even seasonal jobs.

My nearest town is dying, the main street almost has more empty shops than working ones, so not many retail jobs available.

The distribution of illicit drugs seems to be a growth area, perhaps there are opportunities there...

Perhaps the believers in the shiftless idle nature of those on benefits would like conjure up some worthwhile jobs for them to do in our area?

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 17:57:05

JaneJudge

Or on a beach somewhere with the sea being closed?

I thought he'd gone to "Marbs" - maybe meeting up with Gemma and the gang? grin

MaizieD Sun 10-Oct-21 17:58:40

Oh yes, I forgot. Massive cuts to Local Authority budgets means fewer jobs with the council available, either, as services are cut to the bone.

GillT57 Sun 10-Oct-21 17:58:44

Alegrias1

Ladies, I'm ordering badges.

If you'd like a "Brexit Whinger and Proud" Badge, just let me know.

If there's enough interest I might get t-shirts.

How do tines evolve? Do they become whole forks?

Thanks but I want one which says "don't blame me, I didn't vote for this shit".

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:01:36

I'm with you MaizieD

"Perhaps the believers in the shiftless idle nature of those on benefits would like conjure up some worthwhile jobs for them to do in our area?"

It has happened all over the north of England, and across the central belt in Scotland. Seems to me the shiftless and idle are currently sunning themselves in Marbella, whilst the bloke who doesn't know how important Dover is, or the meaning of the word "misogyny" is "in charge".

I wonder when the "health and safety gone mad" brigade will arrive. grin

Deedaa Sun 10-Oct-21 18:02:09

JaneJudge No need to worry about care teams, the Health Secretary says we should all be looking after our families at home.

I have to admit that when people were first talking about taking back control and not being reliant on the EU I hadn't envisaged killing off the pigs on our farms, putting our farmers out of business and buying pork from the EU. Economics isn't my strong point so I expect I'm missing something here.

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:02:33

GillT57

Alegrias1

Thanks but I want one which says "don't blame me, I didn't vote for this shit".

Class! grin grin grin

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 18:04:01

grin @ with Gemma. She'd eat him for breakfast like a big fat pork sausage

MaizieD Sun 10-Oct-21 18:05:29

railman

JaneJudge

Maybe he's more interested in this lot? Looking for some more donors? Or drumming up trade for our money laundering financial services?

The new international crime organisations have made Marbella their centre of operations.

www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/20/a-united-nations-of-how-marbella-became-a-magnet-for-gangsters

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:05:30

Deedaa - "Economics isn't my strong point so I expect I'm missing something here."

No you're not missing anything, and I think you're ahead of Rishi Sunak and Kwazi Kwarteng on points at least.

GillT57 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:05:39

Germanshepherdsmum. How judgemental are you? Those living in the 'social housing' that you drove past on your way to work may have already left for work ! I am amazed at the intimate knowledge some on here have of the lives of others. I didnt check whether curtains are drawn when I used to leave for my local commute and I have no idea at all how much my neighbours, working or otherwise spend on alcohol or cigarettes or to use the tabloid term "booze and fags".

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 18:06:26

JaneJudge No need to worry about care teams, the Health Secretary says we should all be looking after our families at home

How is that going to work for people with complex needs?

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:06:41

MaizieD

railman

JaneJudge

Maybe he's more interested in this lot? Looking for some more donors? Or drumming up trade for our money laundering financial services?

The new international crime organisations have made Marbella their centre of operations.

www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/20/a-united-nations-of-how-marbella-became-a-magnet-for-gangsters

Great point MaizieD. smile

MaizieD Sun 10-Oct-21 18:09:54

Alegrias1

Could you do me one in French, too, that says I love France, I voted Remain.

I'll have one each of the 'Whingers' and 'I didn't vote for this shit' too.. (there's potential for more orders among my friends grin )

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:09:59

Check this out - in everyday life we call this sleight of hand, or is it cheating??

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:11:21

Sorry, meant to add this link too:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/10/rishi-sunak-to-save-billions-by-counting-imf-cash-as-aid-for-poor

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 18:11:35

My badge must say

I [heart] Raymond Blanc and I watch all his cooking shows and everything

sazz1 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:25:42

Grandfather came out of the Royal Navy at the end of the war. He was sent to any suitable job available and couldn't refuse. This was in the early 50s
And to those saying we shouldn't have sent EU workers home do you mean we should have continued to exploit them paying low wages picking frozen cauliflower?
Yes wages will rise as British workers won't work for peanuts, and so will the price of fruit and veg. Cheap labour from the continent has ended and I'm glad about that. They were exploited on many farms with v low pay, v long hours and not brilliant living conditions. Farmers had cheap labour and now realise they have to pay proper rates or see the food rot.
The minimum wage is rising soon so that should help our people back into work.

Alegrias1 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:40:17

Did we have slavery and a feudal state in the fifties then? Goodness, you learn something new every day.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:42:54

JaneJudge

My badge must say

I [heart] Raymond Blanc --and I watch all his cooking shows and everything--

lol - Raymond Blanc comes from the region of France near me- Besançon- and learnt to cook with his mother, with local produce I am used to.

I would love to go and eat at the Manoir des Quatre Saisons once- but he would have to be there, cook for me then come and have a good natter with coffee smile

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:47:50

How about bilingual t-shirts Maizie

I didnt' vote for those CONS !

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 18:54:12

sazzl - when you wrote this: "Yes wages will rise as British workers won't work for peanuts, and so will the price of fruit and veg."

I take it you are aware that "British workers" accept those 'zero hours' contracts, 'agency working', and of course pretend contracting using IR35 regulations.

All of these drive down wages - because employers are happy to increase their profit margins, whilst adopting 'fire & rehire' tactics to keep wages and conditions poor.

Let's not mention the use of 'unpaid internships' - or free labour for employers though.

This government and its predecessor had the opportunity to act - but they don't and have elected to wage a 'culture war', alongside its ludicrous "war on wokeness".

I'm afraid we will have to disagree that the British employer using "foreign" labour is at the root of the problem. That is much too simplistic, and maybe OK for tabloid headlines, but when you look at the details, it is very far from an accurate picture.

Alegrias1 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:09:43

Looks like I've found a growth industry in badges and t-shirts.

Do you think I'd get a government grant? ?

railman Sun 10-Oct-21 19:24:37

Alegrias1

Looks like I've found a growth industry in badges and t-shirts.

Do you think I'd get a government grant? ?

Almost certainly - can I put you in touch with the Business Secretary? He's mad about business .... sorry, I might have made that up, I'm afraid as Cabinet Minister for Misinformation, it's my job to ensure we put the most misleading messages out.

Hey presto!