Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Packham's home and arson attack

(114 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:40:28

This is just appalling and it must be so frightening for him and his family, including his step-daugther. Why is this not treated as a terrorist attack?

Just awful.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:43:11

He is constantly getting threatened or stuff being done to his property.

There are some very sick people out there.

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 16:49:10

sad poor Chris

Shandy57 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:53:39

I've just seen this on Fb. I don't know how his private address is known to the public, and hope he will up his security. A lot of conservationists/environmentalists I know of have been killed in recent years, the criminal element and money made from the abuse of animals is so prevalent.

Aveline Sun 10-Oct-21 17:18:08

Appalling.
Poor man. All the luck in the world to him and his campaign.

tanith Sun 10-Oct-21 17:19:36

He won't let it affect his campaigning I'm sure .

Kandinsky Sun 10-Oct-21 17:26:31

Why do people hate him so much?
What is his campaign?

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 17:36:57

I don't know why people hate him so much either sad but this is mindless criminal activity.

Is his address known because of companies house or something?

Katie59 Sun 10-Oct-21 17:45:47

There are plenty of rednecks who hate Tarrant because of his extreme views, I’m surprised attempts havn’t been made before, he is too high profile for his own safety.
It’s the opposite of extreme environmentalists or animals rights targeting companies

tanith Sun 10-Oct-21 17:51:27

I meant it in general Kadinsky he is very involved in all things relating to wildlife and nature and is currently asking the Royal family to rewild on their estates.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:52:07

Kandinsky

Why do people hate him so much?
What is his campaign?

He has campaigned against Fox Hunting, Badger Baiting and the Badger Cull, and against burning land for grouse shooting, etc.

And I am totally being him on all the above. But even if you object to his campaigning, I hope you would agree that these attacks against him are 100% wrong and should be treated very seriously.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:55:55

Against the shooting and poisoning of birds of prey too- by shoots or pigeon fanciers, etc.

Sweetpeasue Sun 10-Oct-21 19:02:03

Very against all so-called sports that you've mentioned Kali2. It's just disgusting that he should be targeted like this.

Shandy57 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:44:51

Chris Packham is unpopular because he challenges the 'traditional' and normally extremely cruel countryside practises.

Scones Sun 10-Oct-21 19:48:10

Katie59

There are plenty of rednecks who hate Tarrant because of his extreme views, I’m surprised attempts havn’t been made before, he is too high profile for his own safety.
It’s the opposite of extreme environmentalists or animals rights targeting companies

Who's Tarrant? Do you mean Chris Packham? If so his views aren't extreme, they're shared by millions.

Attacks on Chris Packham's property, a death threat and relentless trolling have already been done so there's no need to be surprised, it has happened before.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by too high profile for his own safety, can you kindly explain.

Callistemon Sun 10-Oct-21 19:55:05

I won't post what DH actually said but it was to the effect that he hopes the perpetrators will be caught and imprisoned and I agree.
Disgraceful.

Whether or not anyone agrees with his views he has the right to express them publicly.

Katie59 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:01:01

Packham is affecting the livelihood of a great many in rural areas, it’s not surprising some are going to go too far

Gwyneth Sun 10-Oct-21 20:02:21

Awful I just hope the perpetrators are caught soon.

Galaxy Sun 10-Oct-21 20:02:38

Katie do you understand how threatening that sounds.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:04:22

Katie59

Packham is affecting the livelihood of a great many in rural areas, it’s not surprising some are going to go too far

This is just appalling- condoning criminal activity and threatening the lives of a family. Shame, shame on you.

Scones Sun 10-Oct-21 20:32:12

When people are made redundant from banks their livelihoods are affected, but they don't generally burn down the gates of the manager's house or send her death threats.

They quietly go about the business of finding another jobs.

But then they're not people like this I suppose (WARNING - distressing content)
www.itv.com/news/2021-10-08/secret-filming-shows-hunting-hounds-being-shot-dead-at-kennels

www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/goshawk-raptor-queens-land-bird-grouse-shooting-goathland-estate-yorkshire-a9631021.html

Redhead56 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:39:30

He loves nature and hates abuse of it that's a good thing. Threatening abusive and violent behaviour is never acceptable.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:40:21

Few people realise the very close links between Fox Hunts and badger baiting and dog fighting, btw. There is another story behind the scenes, via the terrier men, and the Hunt masters and riders close a blind eye.

Ask any Wildlife liaison Police Officer and RSPCA- don't take my word for it.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:41:30

But THAT is NOT the point.

Katie59's post gets very close to condoning dangerous, human threatening, criminal activity.

Chestnut Sun 10-Oct-21 23:29:26

It seems that people are getting more aggressive and threatening all the time. We have so many 'protestors' now, the anti-vaxxers, insulate Britain, all causing havoc and disrupting people's lives. This is taking it a step further, and it needs to be stopped otherwise we will have anarchy. People will think they can do whatever they want to anyone they disagree with.