Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Packham's home and arson attack

(115 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:40:28

This is just appalling and it must be so frightening for him and his family, including his step-daugther. Why is this not treated as a terrorist attack?

Just awful.

vegansrock Mon 11-Oct-21 06:26:51

People who abuse animals will also abuse other humans, anyone who threatens their so called “sports” will infuriate them. His campaign Wild justice is one I support. Chris Packham will go on campaigning, good on him.

Parsley3 Mon 11-Oct-21 09:49:10

Listening to Chris Packham speaking to Victoria just now. My goodness what a terrible situation for him and his family. He is living with a persistent hate campaign and the law can do very little to protect him.

henetha Mon 11-Oct-21 10:31:49

Chris Packham is in many ways a wonderful man. He campaigns fearlessly for saving nature and our planet.
There is no excuse for this violence against him. I am worried and fervently hope he has plenty of security around him.
I loathe and detest all blood sports and all sorts of activities which people make excuses for as being part of the countryside.

basicallygrace12 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:54:04

I believe he lives in the new forest. Imagine the wider effects if this fire had spread, damaging the heath/grasslands and much nature.
I disagree with many others views, eg Farage, but wouldn't dream of such behaviour towards them, don't think it helps the cause you are supporting if you become a thug.
I see Jeremy Vine (well his wife) was "served" yesterday, at his home address, for working for the BBC who disagree with the anti vaccers, what gives you a right to approach a private property , and a wider family, and act like this?

PollyTickle Mon 11-Oct-21 11:02:52

These nutters are everywhere in our society, they’ll go to any lengths to destroy and discredit the good and to promote their own warped view on life.
Not sure how they sleep at night.

25Avalon Mon 11-Oct-21 11:27:02

I don’t particularly like Chris Packham or agree with a lot of what he says. Don’t jump on me. The point I want to make is that even given that there is no way that I endorse what happened. It is a terrible terrifying act. If you don’t like him don’t listen. He is entitled to have his point of view and trying to intimidate him or anyone else into silence is totally wrong.

There is so much anger out there with people attacking others and violence all because they don’t agree or at the slightest ‘provocation’. We have become a violent society and it is very scary.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 12:01:03

Nobody will jump on you for saying this. We can agree or disagree about some things, but agree totally 100% that this kind of attacks and threats are totally wrong.

Your last paragraph I think many of us will agree with too.

Jaxjacky Mon 11-Oct-21 12:01:19

He irritates me too 25Avalon, so I don’t watch him, but I’d never condone such action against him or anyone else.

Paperbackwriter Tue 12-Oct-21 11:19:42

Katie59

There are plenty of rednecks who hate Tarrant because of his extreme views, I’m surprised attempts havn’t been made before, he is too high profile for his own safety.
It’s the opposite of extreme environmentalists or animals rights targeting companies

Tarrant???

GillT57 Tue 12-Oct-21 11:28:17

Has your account been hacked Katie59? Very odd comments, condoning violence. I am not a huge fan of Packham and find him mildly irritating, but I totally agree with the majority of what he campaigns against, blood 'sports' are truly repellent and have no place in modern society. What has happened to him and his family, his home is disgusting and terrifying.

Nan0 Tue 12-Oct-21 11:42:08

I also worry that the attack could be a false flag one, because I am worried there are people who will do such things ..it is dreadful whoever did it, and I sincerely hope they are found ,named, shamed and imprisoned.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 12-Oct-21 11:45:29

Poor Katie59. Why do you all assume she is condoning this violence? I didn’t read it like that at all. She was merely saying she’s not surprised that some people would react like this.

I would add that there’s always going to be at least one person who reacts negatively to something someone says or does. Good grief....we see it on gransnet all the time!?

Gillycats Tue 12-Oct-21 11:51:31

Well said Kali2. I agree with you - Katie59’s comment is disgraceful.

TanaMa Tue 12-Oct-21 12:01:20

Like him or loathe him and his ideals - I thought this was a Country with Free Speech. Isn't that why Choudary and his ilk are allowed to spout their evil in public without being brought up sharp by 'do gooders' or even the Institution?

Jess20 Tue 12-Oct-21 12:05:52

Brave man.

Cagsy Tue 12-Oct-21 12:09:07

Indeed Jess20, and principled

Danma Tue 12-Oct-21 12:11:22

Where is the evidence that this was an attack on him?

There were two vehicles stolen from the same area and both were set alight less than a mile apart (I understand)
There has also previously been a vehicle arson incident within a mile of Mr Packham’s home where a fence was singed too

Too many people jumping to conclusions when even Mr Packham says he doesn’t know how it happened

Petera Tue 12-Oct-21 12:18:24

Kali2

Katie59

Packham is affecting the livelihood of a great many in rural areas, it’s not surprising some are going to go too far

This is just appalling- condoning criminal activity and threatening the lives of a family. Shame, shame on you.

That clearly not what she did. Understanding people's motivations is not the same as condoning them.

In fact I'd go further and say that, in many cases, refusing to try to understand them contributes to the problem.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 12:20:34

He said: “On Friday morning at 12.30am, two hooded and masked men drove a vehicle right up to my gate and set it on fire. They were fully aware of the CCTV in place, they took great pains to hide themselves.

Just a coincidence, eh?

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/10/chris-packham-vows-to-continue-activism-after-arson-attack-on-home

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 12:20:47

Danma

Where is the evidence that this was an attack on him?

There were two vehicles stolen from the same area and both were set alight less than a mile apart (I understand)
There has also previously been a vehicle arson incident within a mile of Mr Packham’s home where a fence was singed too

Too many people jumping to conclusions when even Mr Packham says he doesn’t know how it happened

He said: “On Friday morning at 12.30am, two hooded and masked men drove a vehicle right up to my gate and set it on fire. They were fully aware of the CCTV in place, they took great pains to hide themselves.

Just a coincidence, eh?

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/10/chris-packham-vows-to-continue-activism-after-arson-attack-on-home

trisher Tue 12-Oct-21 12:23:00

TanaMa

Like him or loathe him and his ideals - I thought this was a Country with Free Speech. Isn't that why Choudary and his ilk are allowed to spout their evil in public without being brought up sharp by 'do gooders' or even the Institution?

Not sure why this was brought into the discussion but Anjem Choudary was subject to a great many restrictions on his communications for his unacceptable hate speech. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57878910

I find Chris Packham a little irritating, but he is a dedicated campaigner. I think it's probably a smaller step from advocating and enjoying blood sports, and seeing animals suffer, to inflicting violence on other humans than most think.

vegansrock Tue 12-Oct-21 12:24:34

So they just drove up to a random house and set the gates on fire then? of course it was an attack on him. he’s been targeted numerous times, has dead animals on his doorstep etc.

pinkjj27 Tue 12-Oct-21 12:51:30

He lives very close to me in the same area. I went to the same university as he did. We live in a rural area with famous forest.
There are still many blood sports supporters, traditional land owners and farmers in the area. They do not support his views.

I have even heard of dog fighting matches still taking places in this area.

I used to teach a girl whose father, a land owner, hated Chris Packham because of what he called “his simplistic naive view of nature that threaten the whole traditional way of British culture. (Elitism) (I disliked the student and her father.)

My guess is that’s why the poor man is targeted. He is not an extremist he is an environmentalist and an animal rights activist. He doesn’t avolated aggressive protest, he is highly intelligent and knowledgeable, if socially little awkward at times.
I wholeheartedly support his views. This is a hate crime and should be treated as one. There is no justification for this what so ever.

Danma Tue 12-Oct-21 13:17:41

2 vehicles stolen in the same area, one used in a crime and then set alight, the other also set alight

Nanacool Tue 12-Oct-21 13:30:25

Packham following his own untruthful agenda as usual. As I understand it, it was a stolen car which was torched and just happened to be outside his isolated house, another one, part of the same gang was stolen and killed a Foresters cow a mile away and was also torched. Once again Packham has got his facts wrong, about time he put the record straight, but I wont hold my breath.