Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Packham's home and arson attack

(115 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:40:28

This is just appalling and it must be so frightening for him and his family, including his step-daugther. Why is this not treated as a terrorist attack?

Just awful.

MayBeMaw Wed 13-Oct-21 11:14:48

Predictive text/autocorrect is taking over the world!smile

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:25:41

Anniebach

Is freedom of speech only accepted if we agree with the speaker ?

That is a huge question Annie, for sure. But there are things which are clearly illegal, incitment to violence is one. And yes, it is very difficult- this concept of 'tolerance'. I do consider myself to be very tolerant, but I am 100% intolerant of racism and cruelty to children, animals and those who are weak for some reason, rape and crooked Politicians who commit fraud, and some more...

Some things must not be tolerated, ever.

I have had many arguments with French friends, including 2 who are quite famous cartoon artists- about the right of speech by Charlie Hebdo, etc. The violent death of some of their contributors was totally abhorrent- and I will condemn it with all my might- but they did choose to offend for the sake of offending, and I will not condone this.

Gabrielle56 Wed 13-Oct-21 14:06:09

Maybe if he actually targeted those who need to "rewild" ( really?) Their land, like the network rail outfit or whoever owns all the derelict land along routes? Or the areas of brownsite awaiting someone to realise that they're the best places to rebuild HOMES for people? It's all very la-de-dah speaking to the royals isn't it, I'd imagine they're the last landowners who need telling how to manage their lands!! Land=wealth. Packham needs a reality check, and the attack of the knackered old land rover? Typical thickos reaction, served no purpose whatsoever. Maybe CCTV would have revealed whodunnit? Or is that not "green" enough for poster boy?

Anniebach Wed 13-Oct-21 15:03:10

Same for me Kali

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Oct-21 15:07:49

Freedom of speech means that you have a right to be offended.

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 15:09:05

Yes, but perhaps not the wisdom.

Dinahmo Wed 13-Oct-21 15:48:28

Gabrielle56 It is very possible that the damage was done by hunt supporters. Please see below a link to an article by George Monbiot about them, and also please read it.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/13/foxhunters-exempt-tories-public-order-crackdown

Chris Packham has been talking about making our gardens eco-friendly for years. Re-wilding is just the current fashionable term. I would also suggest that he's been talking to the Royals because some of them are interested in ecology.

growstuff Wed 13-Oct-21 16:09:57

Chris' sister is one of the Duchess of Cambridge's favourite designers, so it wouldn't be surprising if he has a link to the royal family.

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 16:11:32

Kali2

Yes, but perhaps not the wisdom.

Apologies, I mis-read your posts and read 'the right to offend'

Galaxy Wed 13-Oct-21 16:11:50

If you cant offend you cant think and explore difficult ideas. A thousand things offend me every day, people saying that you shouldn't offend is one of them.

Alegrias1 Wed 13-Oct-21 16:26:31

Chris Packham wasn't having a nice friendly chat with the royals. He went to Buckingham Palace with 100 children and a petition. confused

I'll be really surprised if he has any kind of relationship with any of them, sister or no sister.

www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/chris-packham-100-children-deliver-21811019

grannyrebel7 Wed 13-Oct-21 16:27:10

Poor Chris - this is just awful. Why are there so many hateful people about these days? They seem to think that if they don't agree with someone's views they've got the right to abuse them. Society is getting worse and worse. Sad times.

Anniebach Wed 13-Oct-21 18:11:16

It is possible to disagree without being offensive

Scones Wed 13-Oct-21 21:14:33

Gabrielle56

Maybe if he actually targeted those who need to "rewild" ( really?) Their land, like the network rail outfit or whoever owns all the derelict land along routes? Or the areas of brownsite awaiting someone to realise that they're the best places to rebuild HOMES for people? It's all very la-de-dah speaking to the royals isn't it, I'd imagine they're the last landowners who need telling how to manage their lands!! Land=wealth. Packham needs a reality check, and the attack of the knackered old land rover? Typical thickos reaction, served no purpose whatsoever. Maybe CCTV would have revealed whodunnit? Or is that not "green" enough for poster boy?

Are you serious about Chris targeting Network Rail? Have you read about his involvement in HS2 and the preservation of nature there?

Encouraging children to think they can speak to anyone - even the Queen - and change the world for the better can't be a bad thing can it? Targeting one of Britain's biggest landowners and the most famous person in the country seems like a good way to go.

Chris had CCTV on the gates and has shared the footage with the police.