Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who is paying for it then?

(190 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 17:16:02

Boris Johnson’s spokesman repeatedly refused on Monday to confirm who has paid for Boris Johnson’s holiday to Marbella and won't say whether the Prime Minister has paid for his own holiday or who else has funded it.

Pushed on the question, Downing Street would only say that the prime minister would disclose any donations he has received, if required to do so, at a later date.

The caginess from Johnson’s spokesman follows reports that the prime minister is currently staying at a villa owned by the Conservative peer Zac Goldsmith.

Goldsmith, who is a close friend of both Johnson and his wife, was handed a peerage by Johnson, despite having been rejected by voters three times in just four years.''

Does anyone know- how many holidays has the PM had since he became PM!

MamaCaz Mon 11-Oct-21 19:03:55

Ignore 'being!

lemongrove Mon 11-Oct-21 19:47:40

When isn’t there a ‘crisis’ either real or manufactured ( petrol!)
So what if he and his family have an out of season holiday and stay at a friend’s villa. All PM’s are usually able to do this.
What would you have him do kali.... rent a clapped out caravan at Cleethorpes? ?
Where do leaders of other countries go to for a well earned holiday, they have all had various crises to handle in the last two years!

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 19:53:22

Sorry Lemon- if you can't see the difference between a clapped out caravan at Cleethorpes- and an 11 bedroom, 2 swimming pools villa at £15000 a pop- owned by someone you have recently given a Peerage to- then... what can I say?

There is not shortage of petrol yet, but of HGV drivers - I thought we had all understood that.

And if you can't, or won't, see that the current crisis is multiple and very serious, on so many fronts- then again, what can I say?

Disingenuous - at the very least.

lemongrove Mon 11-Oct-21 20:10:52

I think your comments about Johnson are getting more and more desperate kali to be honest.As others say, you can have a pop at him for various political things but this holiday at a friend’s villa isn’t one of them.
Many people with money have rich friends with lovely holiday homes that they stay in.It’s in the public eye and if anything has to be declared ( within Parliament) then it will be.
Why on earth are you so concerned? Scrub that last question...
I think I already know.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 20:12:10

If the care crisis continues people will just die. I'm not sure at what point that is acceptable

MamaCaz Mon 11-Oct-21 20:22:43

As Kali2 said,
the current crisis is multiple and very serious, on so many fronts ...

I find it hard to believe that anyone with even only half an eye on politics can't see this.
Boris is officially the leader, and needs to be here in the country doing just that right now- leading.
If, of course, he is capable of that!

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 20:24:17

build back bell flops

Scones Mon 11-Oct-21 21:04:21

What would you have him do kali.... rent a clapped out caravan at Cleethorpes?

Or he could have enjoyed his country home Chequers. Or the large estate that his family own on Exmoor.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 21:05:51

I think he might enjoy a caravan park AS YOU CAN'T HEAR ANYONE AS THE MUSIC IS TOO LOUD

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 21:06:55

lemong - why do you think I am concerned?

Do you remember this, it was not that long ago:

''Boris Johnson is facing demands to explain who paid £15,000 for his Caribbean holiday over the New Year following disclosures in official documents.

According to the register of members’ interests, a benefactor called David Ross had allowed the prime minister and his partner, Carrie Symonds, to use accommodation for a private holiday in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

It was widely reported that this David Ross was the Tory donor who co-founded the Carphone Warehouse chain and who has a holiday home on the private island of Mustique, one of the Grenadines.

But on Wednesday night Ross reportedly told one media organisation he was not the owner of the villa where Johnson had stayed and had not paid for the prime minister’s stay.''

The point is that all gifts must be declared openly, and an links or vested interests. Zac Goldsnith is a powerful man, with tons of money and contacts, and he has recently been given a Peerage by Johnson.

And we are, whether you will admit it or not, in a multiple and very complex and very difficult crisis so the PM should be here to deal with it.

A clapped out caravan in Cleethorpe's ? Perhaps no. But a £15.000 a week luxury mansion is an insult to all those who lost £20 a week a few days ago, just as prices for everything are rising like crazy due to above crisis, and HIS total lack of preparation and the terrible mess he is making of Brexit.

Stand by him, excuse him if you wish- but don't expect me to.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 21:27:27

Desperate? No, really not.

But some of us just can't believe this totally blind faith in a man who is such a dishonest, selfish, incompetent liar and thief, and destroying the country, bit by bit. And yes, as said above- getting angry and ah well, I'll admit it- sort of desperate, but not in the way you think. These are desperate times.

grumppa Mon 11-Oct-21 21:30:02

I remember the boss of an insurance company saying that the more time his underwriters spent on the golf course, the better - at least they weren’t getting things wrong in the office.

I feel much the same about Boris and holidays.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 21:34:37

Johnson getting something wrong implies that he did something to get wrong in the first place.

MayBeMaw Mon 11-Oct-21 21:35:33

Is the objection to
1) who paid for/offered the holiday
2) the timing of said holiday
3) how many holidays Johnson has had?
I think #3 has been addressed as need not concern anybody.
And #1 and #2 are not unique to Boris Johnson.
Have we forgotten Tony Blair’s holidays?
In August 2003 Tony Blair stayed in Sir Cliff Richard's Barbados holiday home. The singer later revealed he had offered the Caribbean villa, where Mr Blair and his family stayed for three weeks, because the prime minister looked so "gaunt and tired" as debate raged about the Iraq war.
(Timing? Crisis? Oh yes, we were being dragged into a war with Iraq weren’t we?)

The following year Mr Blair stayed at the Sardinian villa of Italian counterpart Silvio Berlusconi, reportedly leaving him hobbling after a challenge in a "friendly" football match.
I am sure we all remember how Silvio Berlusconi was one of the sleaziest characters in European politics then and since.

Another Italian villa he stayed at was in Tuscany, and owned by Labour MP and former paymaster general Geoffrey Robinson. Did Robinson owe his position to the PM at the time? I wonder.
So noses in the trough do not only apply to the Tory party.. But if it entertains anybody to obsess about BJ and passes the time - feel free

MayBeMaw Mon 11-Oct-21 21:40:12

PS how in the name of Jesus, Mary and the wee donkey does anybody arrive at lemong as an abbreviation for lemon/grove ?

Scones Mon 11-Oct-21 21:42:18

My objection is to noses in the trough whoever's doing it.

MayBeMaw Mon 11-Oct-21 21:49:21

Scones

“Plus ça change” etc etc.
I agree, but somehow it’s is only BJ who seems to arouse some people’s ire gringrin

Pammie1 Mon 11-Oct-21 21:50:05

Didn’t Tony Blair do something similar ? I seem to remember he was invited to holiday at Sir Cliff’s villa and also by the BeeGees.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 21:51:49

lemon g

As for Blaire- I don't care about Blair now, he is an irrelevance currently. Johnson is our PM, right now.

1 and 2 are certainly of real concern. To many. If it is not for you- then it is up to you. Scones, indeed.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 22:00:44

MayBeMaw

Scones

I agree, but somehow it’s is only BJ who seems to arouse some people’s ire gringrin

Do remind us please, who is our current PM, right here, right now. And how long ago was Blair- and how relevant he is now? Is Blair responsible for this terrible debacle- or was it Cameron- oh and Johnson. Seems to make sense to blame them, at this moment- no?

MayBeMaw Mon 11-Oct-21 22:01:34

Pammie1

Didn’t Tony Blair do something similar ? I seem to remember he was invited to holiday at Sir Cliff’s villa and also by the BeeGees.

See my post upthread.
And further to Geoffrey Robinson, he was tge chap who “loaned” Peter Mendelson £373,000 which Mandelson “omitted” to declare because he had “forgotten” all about it! Clearly peanuts to the likes of them.
It is disingenuous to target one political party and ignore equally dodgy dealings by the “other side”.
But is anybody surprised?

MayBeMaw Mon 11-Oct-21 22:02:01

Kali2

MayBeMaw

Scones

Do remind us please, who is our current PM, right here, right now. And how long ago was Blair- and how relevant he is now? Is Blair responsible for this terrible debacle- or was it Cameron- oh and Johnson. Seems to make sense to blame them, at this moment- no?

No

Deedaa Mon 11-Oct-21 22:21:07

Remembering the uproar over James Callaghan and "Crisis, what crisis?" Johnson seems to be getting off very lightly. Perhaps it is just that people feel he will do less harm if he's out of the country. As someone in another group pointed out Marbella is where all the crooks hide out so at least he's chosen the right place.

Lucca Mon 11-Oct-21 22:35:20

Kali my view on this is that I think Johnson is an appalling PM and an untrustworthy human being, but “pick your battles “

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 22:35:47

I would rather talk about NOW not the past